Beginners Guide to Ableton

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Harshaw

Beginners Guide to Ableton

Post by Harshaw » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:17 pm

I need help using ableton. I've been trying to watch videos and look at these forums trying to find out how to use Ableton have have just confused myself. I watch a video and find out half way I don't have the component being demonstrated "The Sampler in Ski Beatz video for example" then I get frustrated and try to learn on my own. I've watched the demos within Ableton but they only do so much. Idk maybe I should watch them again...

The only experience I've had with audio production before this was Garageband in... 2008-9 and that stuff was easy as cake. Theres so much more here to the point that I am honestly intimidated.

tl;dr
Is there anywhere I can go to learn other then the instruction manuel that you guys would recommend for beginners?

[I also have a AKAI MPK49, figure I'd add that somewhere]

Thanks in advance. Extremely excited to start getting the hang of this software.

sexface

Re: Beginners Guide to Ableton

Post by sexface » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:27 pm

I really think that Tom Cosm's introduction videos are some of the best out there. But then again, it's been awhile since I've been a complete newbie! Check out Tom's stuff.

Here is a post from the Ableton Life blog that compiles a lot of tutorial vids.

http://abletonlife.com/10-of-the-best-a ... ial-videos

Hope that helps!

Harshaw

Re: Beginners Guide to Ableton

Post by Harshaw » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:17 pm

sexface wrote:I really think that Tom Cosm's introduction videos are some of the best out there. But then again, it's been awhile since I've been a complete newbie! Check out Tom's stuff.

Here is a post from the Ableton Life blog that compiles a lot of tutorial vids.

http://abletonlife.com/10-of-the-best-a ... ial-videos

Hope that helps!

Just watched the very first one listed. Think I'm going to watch a new one (or two) daily til I get them all. Learned a lot already. I'm sure I won't be a master by the time I finish watching them all but all I really want is to, metaphorically, be able to swim so I can start practicing backstrokes on my own. Just to have a good footing so I can learn on my own and develop will be great for me.Thanks so much for sharing!

btw: downloaded Unity Sandals. not bad, not bad at all. very encouraging to see where these videos have lead you. i get the impression its been awhile since you've been on amateur when it comes to this stuff but still gives me something to look forward to.