Different mappings every time I change track

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Different mappings every time I change track

Post by #43 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:07 pm

My question is quite straightforward.I use an sl MKii.Is it possible via automap or not to map different settings for the same buttons and knobs for every track?For example have a knob to control an auto filter on track 1 while I am on track 1 and when I change to track 2 the knob changes to another mapping of track 2 and so on.

matthews

Re: Different mappings every time I change track

Post by matthews » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:23 pm

yup.

Make a specific chain for each track.

Post by #43 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Can you be a little more specific?I know what chains are but I dont see how they will help me.You mean instead of having different plugins for every track put it all on one track?How the signal of plugins will affect the track I want then?I think you confused me a bit :lol:

matthews

Post by matthews » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 pm

For each track you'll have a chain with an audio effect rack in it.

Inside each audio effect rack, put whichever effects you'd like to map for that track.

For each clip, assign it to a specific chain (track 1 to chain 1, track 2 to chain 2), etc.

So, track 1 will control audio effect chain 1.

Track 2 will control audio effect chain 2, etc.

Post by #43 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:20 pm

so far so good.Thank you for valuable knowledge..This is extremely helpful but I want something more..Basically what I am after is having a different looper on each of my tracks with 5-6 knobs assigned to it.So I m running into a problem here cause I dont want changes to happen at on other tracks/loopers while Im messing with looper on the exact, not just not being heard cause in this occasion they will be:P
Maybe asking too much?

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:23 pm

this is do-able, but I can't explain it to you as I never do it. BUt I already saw and read lots of threads about that do-able stuff.

try a search in this forum with keywords : midi remote script, control surface, automap...

you'll get it done I'm pretty sure, and then you'll explain it to me :lol:

good luck

Post by #43 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:55 am

Ok after i did a little research I think I need some guidance here.Im not really into programming and I known nothing about remote scripts, templates ,bomes, midi ox, midi yoke etc and their difference...Which one should I deal with?

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Well, I'll do some more homework to give you a more thorough answer. But this is what the native options on the top of the MIDI preferences tab are doing, only they are constrained to global and mixer settings, which doesn't help you. And you know about macros and locking controllers to them as well as to other devices and their instant mappings. With this much of the equation, you'd still need a button dedicated to that native controller assigned to the Lock switch. You'd still need a shortcut such that as you move to different tracks, the device chain would be highlighted in order for you to unlock from the last device and lock onto the new one.

Alternatively, you could automap a bunch of your plug-ins and switch between them without changing track focus, but as you noticed this wouldn't work for the native ableton ones. One guy I know arrived at some keyboard shortcuts for moving around his devices, but I didn't find it too thrilling. You can, however, assign keystroke combinations for your automap controls, just for selecting, toggling focus from the rack to its parameters, and other navigating. That might get you closer to your goal.

So I would do a search for ALL terms and select TOPICS: select expand collapse VST devices navigate. In other words, you can already tell that getting your trick down to a single action of switching tracks is going to be tricky...

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... s#p1317236

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... te+devices

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... s&start=15
blinkeye
Post subject: Re: MIDI-mapping Device Selection?Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:49 pm

gardenIMPERIVM wrote:
i'm wondering how to assign MIDI commands to cycle through the devices on a selected track, so that i can select them for MIDI control without using the mouse. i know the APC does this, but i was told by an ableton rep at a demo that this is a new generally assignable control now (along the lines of scrolling up and down through scenes using mapped controls).

i know that individual devices can be assigned buttons to select them; my question concerns whether there's a way of scrolling through them (so that i don't need a separate control for every device).

also (and maybe i'm just getting greedy now) is there any way to cycle through selected tracks using a MIDI control, in the same way?

I'm not sure what the problem is. Just use the left and right arrow keys. I have the buttons on my MIDI controller using a key command to MIDI translator so that I have both the regular arrow keys and the arrow keys plus the option (alt) key. With this I can navigate between tracks, to the browser, to the scene column, and up and down from the track name row, to clip slots, to the devices with ease without using a mouse or the computer keyboard. Once I'm down at the devices, I just use the regular arrow keys buttons to scroll between devices.
hoffman2k
Post subject: Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:59 pm

First off, I assume you know how to work with automapping. If not, its been discussed way beyond anything I can contribute to the topic.
Its also covered in the manual.

As for the PC software. I have no clue. Though I remember something along the likes of "autohotkeys" or "bomes midi translator". I'm sure somebody can name the correct app to convert MIDI to keystrokes.

I suggest you set it up like this:

A midi button that is converted to ALT
And 4 midi buttons that send out the 4 arrow keys.

Though you could also do:

A midi button that is converted to ALT
And 2 midi buttons that send out the up and down arrow keys.
Instead of navigating left and right, you just select a track by pressing a MIDI button mapped to the track name.

There are probably other solutions, but this seems the most feasable for controlling a lot of stuff with a limited amount of knobs.

matthews

Post by matthews » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:53 pm

#43 wrote:so far so good.Thank you for valuable knowledge..This is extremely helpful but I want something more..Basically what I am after is having a different looper on each of my tracks with 5-6 knobs assigned to it.So I m running into a problem here cause I dont want changes to happen at on other tracks/loopers while Im messing with looper on the exact, not just not being heard cause in this occasion they will be:P
Maybe asking too much?
I don't see why this can't be done with chains as well....

Same basic idea. Each channel has audio effect racks in it (with the looper as you wish), and each specific clip is then mapped to a chain. You're just going to have a ton of chains.