What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slobodavan

Re: What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Post by slobodavan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:59 pm

A way to edit _clip_ envelopes while in arrange. I'm dead tired of copy and paste, back and forth.

My way of working is arrangement --> chop to clips to jam, the Live way seems to insist on me doing it the other way.

Oh, and better drawing/editing tools for automation/envelopes. Bezier preferably.

Custom (and more) keyboard shortcuts is a must as well.

"Snap to notes/events" instead of just grid or freehand would be nifty too. Hard to do automation on exact notes as it is now.

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:29 pm

What I'm hoping for is an upgrade to drum racks and a new Akai drum rack controller that makes Ableton the sampling powerhouse it could be. Its so close right now but hardware + a new drum rack with slice auditioning would pretty much take out the need to learn another workflow with Maschine IMO.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

hmj

Post by hmj » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Ableton is fascinating, every time I use it i'm in awe so I tip my hat to the developers, they're truly geniuses. My only request would be a focus on improving the mixing section in Live. Right now it feels like an afterthought and many pro features simply don't exist.

1. EUCON support. If you've used a Artists Mix or a System 5 with Pro Tools or Logic you'll know how amazing that protocol is for the creative MIXING process. It's been a LOONG time since I used another DAW and said "I wish Ableton had that feature." It's a shame for the most feature rich and ergonomic DAW to be missing something so crucial to the pro scene.

2. Professional automation features (latch, touch, etc). Self explanatory and the fact the this is missing is probably closely associated with the reasoning behind not support Eucon yet. Whatever it is it's limiting and if the Ableton guys feel different they should create their own controller that performs better and I would buy it, if not let us be creatively free when mixing.

3. Real mono tracks. Another rare feature from other Daws that I crave in Ableton. The stereo everything concept is confusing and makes the Ableton mixing feel little league. I wish I could be more technical about this but it's about control, this is an Apple Final Cut X type decision, it takes simplicity way to far for no good reason.

4. Track comping for vocals. Another pro feature no where to be found.

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:53 pm

yea what ever happened to the share feature?

i think another option would be the ability to jam over the net

would be cool, of course some kind of delay compensation would be needed

live is the best tool ever for making music

been a happy user since live 3

now im 50 out of work so i get to play as much as i want

keep up the great work Ableton and thanks for Live

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:49 pm

a way to reverse midi clip and automation, by selecting them ,right clicking ,and click on the reverse button!!!
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

su

Post by su » Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:16 pm

Not a game changer, but something that just came to mind...

Scene groups. Just like track groups, but with no associated trigger function. Building arrangements it would be useful to roll up a group of scenes. Would make things visually clearer and would make moving song sections around easier.

Nasenbluten

Post by Nasenbluten » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:28 am

Split/divide midi notes.
For example by right clicking on a long note, have the "divide" option added to the menu. Then, type a number between 2 and 256.
Then the note would be equally divided into smaller parts.

OBD

Post by OBD » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:16 pm

I would really like to be able to "split" my session view into "modules". Allowing me to scroll up, down, left and right independently within each moduel with my APC40 (ie: allowing me to only scroll SOME of the clips in my boxed region up/down). I think its would be a cool concept and allow for a better work flow for my live set.

Does anyone understand what I am getting at?

Cheers

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 am

This is the best live 9 thread. :mrgreen:

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:20 pm

mrobare wrote:yea what ever happened to the share feature?
yes, i wonder that too.
cause that was my major selling point with 8 and it was withdrawn from beta.
i weren't even told that it was in beta until after purchase. fancy that. O.o

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Since "Share" was falsely advertised for Live 8, it seems to give it magical powers or something. I never got to beta test it, but I heard it was lack luster. Nothing DropBox couldn't do.

However it would be nice to see Ableton compensate for getting our hopes up, but then again, if they just release a solid new version with many of the workflow enhancements posted, I'll be excited about it.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:14 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:Since "Share" was falsely advertised for Live 8, it seems to give it magical powers or something. I never got to beta test it, but I heard it was lack luster. Nothing DropBox couldn't do.

However it would be nice to see Ableton compensate for getting our hopes up, but then again, if they just release a solid new version with many of the workflow enhancements posted, I'll be excited about it.

well, dropbox didn't freeze your set for you if the recipient didn't have the same devices.
nor did it give you version tracking.

but more importantly: dropbox is a thirdparty service, which includes limited space and bandwidth.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:18 pm

friend_kami wrote: but more importantly: dropbox is a thirdparty service, which includes limited space and bandwidth.
I understand Share would have had "Live" specific features, and when I heard about it I thought "That will be cool,"
but I dont miss it. From what I remember, I thought you would have had to pay for service and space using Share too? Maybe I'm wrong about that, it's been a while.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Yeah, the free space for Share was pretty small. People seemed to have forgotten they would have to pay for more :)

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:03 pm

Biggest news to me is that they apparently had version tracking? Forget sharing, I'd love to have integrated version tracking on my local projects.

I've been meaning to see if I can use something like git or mercurial worked out with my Live projects, but haven't dedicated the time yet.