What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rave

What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Post by Rave » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:00 pm

I like the idea of comping and a melodyne feature so I don't have to switch to Cubase for producing vox.

If they put that in I will buy it right away otherwise I think I will wait.

Tarekith

Re: What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Post by Tarekith » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:11 pm

Configurable user interface. The layout I use for DJing would be different from what I use for live performance, which is different from session view ramblings in the studio. I'd love the option to put different sections of the interface where I want them, and have them 'snap' together. For instance,

- have more than one clip view visible at a time.

- put the mixer/IO/ section on the left or right side of arrange.

- Browser up top or down below instead of always on the left.

- A set up where I can see the detailed clip waveform AND the effects on that channel at the same time.

- An arrange overview that actually shows you ALL of your arrangement.

- The ability to put send tracks anywhere I want, instead of always on the right side of session view.

Etc.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:18 pm

I'll let you know if/when it appears ;)

But the things I most wish for at this point in time (assuming 64 bit support is a given):

Something to hugely improve the multi-pass recording and comping process - Its one of the few things Ill still go back to cubase for, so in agreement on that one.

Nestable groups and the addition of nestable folders just to tidy up workflow around larger projects and remove crap from the limited avalaible channels of an APC24/40 etc - including the containing folder (unlike a group that still occupies a channel).

Independent routable rack chains - ie like you can do with return chains in drum racks, so for eg, you could make a crossover rack that would route the low band to another track and leave the high band going to thew rack output.
In fact - pretty much make all racks work with the flexibility of drum racks (nesting etc as well).

Support for VST3 and AU sidechain routing with source selection menu like you have for Ligve's native plugins - which are the equivalent of what you get in Cubase for VST3 routing, or Logic for AU routings - this is the thing that will make 3rd party sidechain plugins as easy to use as Live's native sidechain plugins.

Multi-screen support to allow session view and arrange view to be open simulataneously on different monitors - this will give us much better mixing workflow in arrange view. I would even like to be able to see the 8 knobs of the first rack device in their own section - ie like sends just to give you a much better at-a-glance view of your tracks (think reason 6/record mixer with its assignable knobs).

Basically - stuff to hugely improve production workflow - dont care about extra instruments amd effects - if they aint in the box we can buy them - just make the core workflow better for production and that modern plugin features are suported (ie full current VST3 and AU support at least enough for stereo + sidechain, and/or multiple output pairs etc).
Nothing to see here - move along!

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Optional 8, 16, 24, 32 Macro Knob Racks. All Macros on any Rack can have settings recalled via program change, or by highlighting the audio clip and clicking some kind of "save preset" button. Morphing between presets. Plus record Macro automation.

OH yeah, everything midi mappable and range adjustable, along with some kind of browser access via controller.

AND, I really dig how Traktor allows midi mappings to be configured with modifiers, and has various settings to talk back to controllers, etc. Something like that would be amazing!

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:07 pm

- Snapshots... store every setting for every effect at a moment in time and be able to quickly recall them via MIDI or keystroke (like MainStage has had since 1.0). If you're in playing in a band it's a total pain in the ass to switch songs now.

- OSC Mapping the same way MIDI and Key Mapping works

- An Ableton supported / documented scripting API

- Session view automation :)

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:15 pm

Meh.

But also, this: - have more than one clip view visible at a time.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

rydn

Post by rydn » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:19 pm

- 64 Bit - first and foremost

- Generally make it slicker, easier to click around.
- Scene follow actions
- VST3
- More appearance customization options
- More macro knobs
- Better quality effects
- Bigger meters
- The ability to just isolate the session and arrange view, without that red arrow button thing
- APC40 v2 with LCD screen to reduce the need for monitor use.

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Its release. That's the game changer.
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

PHY6

Post by PHY6 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:29 pm

The use of 'spaces' in osx to have your plugins there.

arafel

Post by arafel » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Automation Delay Compensation as well as Plugin Delay Compensation.

IMHO - Having Automation be perfectly in time with a large latency plugin chain would be a game changer for Live. Right now sometimes it is.. sometimes not - I compensate.. but would be nice not to have to.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

Mixikyr

Post by Mixikyr » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Deleted post.
Last edited by Mixikyr on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:31 pm

Play video clips from session view.

Press Enter

Post by Press Enter » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:34 pm

arafel wrote:Automation Delay Compensation as well as Plugin Delay Compensation.

IMHO - Having Automation be perfectly in time with a large latency plugin chain would be a game changer for Live. Right now sometimes it is.. sometimes not - I compensate.. but would be nice not to have to.

this.

Basically the program needs more refining of what's already there, conceptual shortcomings being addressed etc, rather than new features - imo. This would include stuff like 21st century midi editing, better automation recording in session view ...

although they should add a proper, bona-fide & sophisticated LFO. and I don't mean a hacky M4L implementation.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:37 pm

if a track is playing an session clip..
that clip should be seen/drawn in the arrangement view..
(if you're there..)

it would be a simple way to see/edit more than 1 session clip at a time

Live 9 should have intensive GUI spice-up...

a while ago I was checking out the FL studio demo..
I was amazed at the capabilities..
of course it was way too cluttered for me taste..
but the graphics were very impressive.. very nice on the eyes..
and very powerful editing fearures too..
and seems not to put any extra bump on cpu comparing..
I was impressed
(used fruity loops way back in the early 00's..it's come a long way)

hps909

Post by hps909 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:56 pm

dual monitor support .. have session view on one screen have clip /env /mixer /edit on the other ..
scissor tool in arrange view,
vst 3 support.. or make vst's sidechainable..
proper drag and drop track creation.. like drag from an existing slot to a new channel

theres another biggie but i cant think of it right now
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8