What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nicknackerski

Re: What feature in live 9 would be a game changer for you

Post by Nicknackerski » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:41 pm

mmm.

64bit.
Multi window support. I want arrangement, Mixer, Piano roll on different screens.
Flexi-pitch.
Comping.
Bounce in place without losing original track. ( currently have to duplicate - freeze - flatten - deflate morality)
£300 for a skeleton daw £500 for a suite version. surely there should be one version. same as competitors.
Logic £327,
Pro-Tools 9 £389,
Studio One £329
etc........
Performance. on an eight core mac with 8 Gig memory i'd love to know whats happening. what tracks, which synth is eating all the CPU.
Pre-sonus does this brilliantly. I'm a few days into the trial.
Personally theres of lot of little things Live Lacks which i don't mind because it does others so brilliantly. I totally understand its a Live tool primarily.

Things like this make me feel deflated though. 3 years is a lot development time, i wonder whats going on. Could it be 8O or could it be 8)
either way i own Ableton 8, M4L, APC40, Launchpad.
but i use Logic, Traktor more.

digid

Post by digid » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:52 pm

Without a doubt: proper DAW editing. The difference between detailed editing in Logic Audio 9 and Live 8 is staggering.

Also, improved layout in the arrangement window. I want *solids* for each sound file, and I want track separation and sound file separation to be very, very clear.

Better MIDI-editing is also needed (today there isn't even a way to see how many notes you transpose up or down while transposing/moving the notes).

In short: better editing. ;)
Listen to my lovely electroacoustics on Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/digidada

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Xen Ochren wrote:
- Snapshots... store every setting for every effect at a moment in time and be able to quickly recall them via MIDI or keystroke (like MainStage has had since 1.0). If you're in playing in a band it's a total pain in the ass to switch songs now.
THIS!
http://liine.net/en/products/kapture/

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Nicknackerski wrote: ( currently have to duplicate - freeze - flatten - deflate morality)
:lol:

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:29 pm

friend_kami wrote:i guess the game changer would be to announce a feature that a: works, and b: stays.
I guess that was what I was getting at.:)

It's not so good to buy into new features that vanish after you pay for them.....
Enough complaining. :roll:

M4L was the best Live upgrade I have ever paid for.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 am

Upbeat mode In session view.

The number of times a vocals comes in on the last or last 2 beats of a previous section, or a key change for a new section happens with a different chord leading into it on the up-beat means session view can get a but clunky for me. I can happily have global quantise on 1 or 2 bars for triggering scenes, but then have to make parts with extra beats and use 1 or 2 beat global quantise. Gets even more messy if the entrance to a chorus has 2 different chords on the 2 beats before the chorus scene, and the vocal wants to come in the beat before the chorus scene. If I can just set say bass and keys to have a 2 beat upbeat and the vocal a 1 beat upbeat, then hit scene change anywhere before that in the last 1 or 2 bars (depending in the global quantise setting), it could sort it for me and save loads of missed or gained beats where I'm trying to trigger my awkwardly programmed scenes. Would give nice big simple section scenes with an elegant upbeat method.

That and decent vocal comping so I can work on my verses easier in arrange view without having to stop and mess around so much.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:32 am

P.s. my upbeat mode could work by adding a toggle switch between normal loop brace mode and the "upbeat mode" where the looped section always happens on the scene change and any bit between the start marker and the first loop brace comes in by that amount before the scene change. Make the play arrow flash purple or something while it's playing upbeat to show its happening! Can make it so if you hit it too late for the upbeat it just brings in the first loop brace on the scene change if in upbeat mode too, or ignores upbeat mode if the global quantise is the same or less than the upbeat to avoid disaster in hectic live situations too.

(you might be able to tell I've dreamed of this for quite a while as I love jamming out new songs in session view but all to often everything doesn't change on the first beat of the bar!)

ciw

Post by ciw » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:39 am

Oh, another suggestion - per-clip as well as per-channel fx

jellycaster

Post by jellycaster » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:27 am

Piplodocus wrote:P.s. my upbeat mode could work by adding a toggle switch between normal loop brace mode and the "upbeat mode" where the looped section always happens on the scene change and any bit between the start marker and the first loop brace comes in by that amount before the scene change. Make the play arrow flash purple or something while it's playing upbeat to show its happening! Can make it so if you hit it too late for the upbeat it just brings in the first loop brace on the scene change if in upbeat mode too, or ignores upbeat mode if the global quantise is the same or less than the upbeat to avoid disaster in hectic live situations too.

(you might be able to tell I've dreamed of this for quite a while as I love jamming out new songs in session view but all to often everything doesn't change on the first beat of the bar!)
very good!

wascal

Post by wascal » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:46 pm

Improved midi mapping features for drum rack macro's, ie; on Drum Racks - Right click a channel and map to macro X, then the option to 'MAP SIBLINGS TO MACRO X'.

I'm still on 7 though so that may already be in place..
TTKK / NOODLES / iANDALE! / TIGERBEAT6 / HOT & HEAVY etc
http://www.soundcloud.com/wascal

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Reduced CPU usage

Clip automation recording

Improved melodic sequencer for the APC-40

Shokol8

Post by Shokol8 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:55 pm

A way to open a second session,without leaving the one u r on, so you can pick up instruments or tracks from experiments u've saved without to close and save ,everytime between session,
A way to zoom in and out the session view tracks so you dont have to go all way right or left to see where your vocals or kicks tracks are,and not be able to mute them quickly or to see if the clips are lined up well together,same with the part where u put ur instruments or audio effecs.
a swap view button so u can swap between traktor and ableton view when mixing live or......
CREATE a bridge with TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO,because i live in europe and no ones got SERATO around,it is well used in the states but not here,and i dont want to buy serato when i and all my friends ,already got traktor.
A easier way to bounce songs together
The possibility to put ur midi pattern at the end of the grid u unfortunately can only put at the begginnig of each grid
A way to change the bpm for each track to be able to slow down a track to give some cool effects to vocal for example
Make everything mappable and automatable especially for sampler and simpler
To be able to copy and paste the fader automation to another track volume
Im sure i will think of more ,but that's all for now ;D

P.S and a bigger place for your signature in the forum
Shokol8
Paris, Bristol
MBP i5 2.3Gh 8GB 500SSD, 1TB HDD
Sierra Suite 9.7 Edirol FA101
CME VX5, Irig Keys Pro
APC40/Push 1
Ipad Air, Alesis I/O dock, NI S4 & F1
http://soundcloud.com/dr_goldsylver-fastfinger

jpga

Post by jpga » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Better sound and zero latency all the way.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:50 am

The gestalt of Ableton Live has always been loop manipulation but the browser view for finding content has since the early days been very primitive. Like having five fixed views, no easy way to find material based on grouping/keywords, no albums, no search based custom albums and so on *). It worked with 100+ loop libraries, with 10k+ ones not.

*) Look at iTunes for inspiration how to organize thousands of audio clips.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:49 am

if it could suck my d