Cubase 5... Seriously, wtf??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ollyb303

Cubase 5... Seriously, wtf??

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:30 am

So, I'm working on a collab at the moment with a guy who uses Cubase 5 - he didn't want to use Live as he's never used it before and I have used Cubase before, albeit not for about 10 years.

I thought it might have evolved a bit since then, but wow, that program seriously blows. Seems like it's stuck in the fucking dark ages!

Admittedly I'm probably missing the point a fair bit due to the learning curve, but I just cannot get my head round that kind of workflow. Awful.

Managed it for 2 days before I bounced the whole lot out as audio and started over in Live.

Never again.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

UnCL0NED

Re: Cubase 5... Seriously, wtf??

Post by UnCL0NED » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 am

I feel ya!

I think once you understand and get used to the concept of Live, all the "traditional" DAWs seem like they're not up to date anymore. The workflow of Live just feels natural. Other DAWs seem to be a lot of hassle to do "simple stuff".

However, once I start doing the real mixdown, I still sometimes switch to Logic, because of the eq's and Space Reverb.
The day Ableton decides to put in a convolution reverb and a (to my ears) clean sounding eq in Live, I think I will never open any other DAW anymore.
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:41 am

i feel the same about pro tools.
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:49 am

I know what you mean, but there are some things I definitely miss from it - keyboard shortcuts like moving clips with arrows, things like that made certain jobs way easier

but then I'm probably talking more audio engineering type jobs like dialogue for video and things like that - I'm trying to use Ableton for everything these days, and occasionally it really shits me because I'm trying to use it for a job that would better suit one of the others.

Ableton is the musician's program.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:59 pm

There are fair gap between their features. Cubase has tons of features in its workflow. You can't compare.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:10 pm

pencilrocket wrote:There are fair gap between their features. Cubase has tons of features in its workflow. You can't compare.
Course you can. I could work on this track in either program and get the same result. I'll just get it done a lot quicker and have more fun on the way if I use Live. In comparison (there it is) Cubase would feel a lot like beating my head against the wall.
ob1techno.com

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:50 pm

couldn't agree more. dark ages is right. god, and try setting up rewire instruments, fucking NIGHTMARE. requires like 3-4 channels per instrument - one midi, two audio, and a group for the two audio. insane. in live, dead simple.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 pm

I think any interface that has freely movable windows that will each other up is archaic at this point...
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:36 pm

^ NO... the floating mixer is FUCKING AWESOME! i started off on Cubase and i won't jump on the dog it bandwagon, but i do prefer Live... however... the floating mixer is something i really miss from Cubase. i'm not talking about working in session view... i mean in arrange. i record live audio, with the exception of drums most of my audio comes from outside the DAW so arrange is a good place for slicing and dicing. i'd love to have a mixer floating on my second monitor the way i used to in my Cubase SX3 days.

as for the rest; meh.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:42 pm

True, as it would be great to have Session on 1 monitor and Arrange on the other:/
ImageImage

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:49 am

ollyb303 wrote:Course you can. I could work on this track in either program and get the same result. I'll just get it done a lot quicker and have more fun on the way if I use Live. In comparison (there it is) Cubase would feel a lot like beating my head against the wall.
I told about the features. And you are talking about your subjective opinion. It means you replied even though you didn't understand the point of the comparison. Funny noob.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:59 am

pencilrocket wrote:
ollyb303 wrote:Course you can. I could work on this track in either program and get the same result. I'll just get it done a lot quicker and have more fun on the way if I use Live. In comparison (there it is) Cubase would feel a lot like beating my head against the wall.
I told about the features. And you are talking about your subjective opinion. It means you replied even though you didn't understand the point of the comparison. Funny noob.
Not biting troll.
ob1techno.com

rosti

Post by rosti » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Cubases user interface has stuck in the amiga days. :D

jimmynitcher

Post by jimmynitcher » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:54 pm

I have actually got to love the fact that there is no separate mixer window as it means that I switch to session view (expanded) to mix without looking at the timeline forcing me to hear better - works for me anyhow.

I agree about Cubase - the only reason it's still going is that strongly established name - if Logic was on the PC it would be gone, no?

crofter

Post by crofter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:36 pm

I use both Cubase and Live, both have their strong points, Live for more immediate performance stuff, I use Cubase more for Audio recording, multitracking bands and stuff, the audio editing is second to non in my opinion, I personally wouldn't be without either.
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7