Virus ti users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rustig

Virus ti users

Post by rustig » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey guys,

I have a problem with the virus ti and hope that here are some users who can help me.
For some strange reason i can`t post on the access board :x .

My problem is with unison of the Ti, most of the time i use a preset tweaked or build a preset from scratch.
This sounds all very nice.... wide...love the sound of the Ti....But when i switch too mono it almost completely disappear or put it back in the mix completly out of balance compared too the stereo mix.
It also starts phasing in mono.
Most of the time i switch unison too twin....detune off....and pan spread too 30% max, But sometimes you just don`t want that because the sound lose it`s power.

Are here users with the same problem? And find a solution for this.

I use only the Ti in usb mode and don`t use the soundcard.

Thanx
http://soundcloud.com/stompboxer/sets

Mac pro quad xeon osx 10.5.8 - Rme fireface uc - Novation launchpad - Uad2 quad - Access virus ti - Moog slim phatty.

rustig

Re: Virus ti users

Post by rustig » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Nobody with this problem?

Mac pro quad xeon osx 10.5.8 - Rme fireface uc - Novation launchpad - Uad2 quad - Access virus ti - Moog slim phatty.

rustig

Post by rustig » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:50 pm

No virus ti users here?

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:00 pm

That's just the way most unisons work in synths. When you detune and spread things, then collapse them to mono, phase issues mean that some of the sound will cancel itself out.

rustig

Post by rustig » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi tarekith,

Thanx for reply'ing.
If only the side's will cancel out then it is no problem.
But the mid freq's will also cancel out or start to sound like
there is a phaser on top.

I use too have komplete a few years ago and too my opinion this
was less a problem, offcourse the side bands will allways disepear.

I can post some audio examples just too check.....maybe there is something wrong with my ti

Thanx

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:48 pm

rustig wrote:Hi tarekith,

Thanx for reply'ing.
If only the side's will cancel out then it is no problem.
But the mid freq's will also cancel out or start to sound like
there is a phaser on top.

I use too have komplete a few years ago and too my opinion this
was less a problem, offcourse the side bands will allways disepear.

I can post some audio examples just too check.....maybe there is something wrong with my ti

Thanx
that's what takerith is saying. search up comb filtering. what happens is that the sides are being summed to mono but they're cancelling out certain frequencies because they're out of phase.

rustig

Post by rustig » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:28 pm

Allright so the problem is combfiltering but is there a nice solution?
When i turn unison complete out the sound isn't that strong but with unison it start too phase.
I make club music so they must be mono compatible and as wide possible.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:29 pm

If you want mono, don't use much unison, that's the only real solution. You can't have it both ways, it's just a fundamental property of physics here.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:53 pm

rustig wrote:Allright so the problem is combfiltering but is there a nice solution?
When i turn unison complete out the sound isn't that strong but with unison it start too phase.
I make club music so they must be mono compatible and as wide possible.
I'm a little confused in what you mean by "strong" I always thought unison was used to create some stereo spread i.e. more background than forefront. Also why is it so important to have it in mono? It sounds to me like you prefer the stereo sound of the patch.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:44 pm

Sometimes people will put things like basslines with some unison on it, which can give it a much fuller sound when listened to in stereo. BUt if you play it in a club where the sound system is in mono, that nice big bassline that you thought was huge will just about disappear sometimes.

cbentley

Post by cbentley » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:34 am

Also depends on the sound you're trying to make. I use unison all the time but mainly on stabs, pads, effects, but never on basses. There are several things you can try depending on your sound, situation, etc.

First, read up on the HASS EFFECT. Things you can try for wide stereo: Delay ONLY one side of a stereo track by 10-22ms, no modulation. Will chorus a bit when folded to mono. Use only the left or right side as a mono track and send it to an ambient effect panned on the opposite side. Try running your TI filters in parallel with different settings and pan each one opposite each other. Who even says a stereo sound has to be the same sound on each side. Two similar patches panned opposite each other make for wide stereo. Engineers have been doing guitars this way for ages. If you have a low frequency sound like a bass, keep the bass centered and send it to a chorus (or stereo pitch shifter) with everything below 500 Hz rolled off. It's spread the top without causing phase issues on the bottom end... use just enough so you only notice when it's not there. With all these, check in mono and adjust until you hear what you like.

rustig

Post by rustig » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:15 pm

Tarekith wrote:Sometimes people will put things like basslines with some unison on it, which can give it a much fuller sound when listened to in stereo. BUt if you play it in a club where the sound system is in mono, that nice big bassline that you thought was huge will just about disappear sometimes.

This is the problem with my bass sound at the moment, But i tweaked it and turned unison off on all my bass sounds (it`s build up from four sound) and now it`s getting better.
In the past i didn`t pay attention too this problem and then in mix stage when my tracks where all ready bounced too audio i had fix my bass and lead sounds so they didn`t cancelled out some freq`s in mono.

From now on i just have too work in mono with these bass and lead sounds and maybe make them wider during the mix stage.
I compare my tracks with deadmau5, noisia, feedme, wolfgang gartner and there bass sounds are indeed mono with some wide gritt on it....if this makes any sense :D

@cbentley yeah i know about the haas effect........This is how deadmau5 plays with it, found it when searching about my unison problem :D .
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=213437762526

Thanks guys for your help

rustig

Post by rustig » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:57 am

Examples are allways welcome, but i think i understand what you mean.
Unison with audio track....shifting mid or high band is not the problem it was pure unison of the virus ti.
I only have a ti and a slim phatty so i can't compare any other synth's.
scutheotaku wrote:
rustig wrote:
Tarekith wrote:Sometimes people will put things like basslines with some unison on it, which can give it a much fuller sound when listened to in stereo. BUt if you play it in a club where the sound system is in mono, that nice big bassline that you thought was huge will just about disappear sometimes.

This is the problem with my bass sound at the moment, But i tweaked it and turned unison off on all my bass sounds (it`s build up from four sound) and now it`s getting better.
In the past i didn`t pay attention too this problem and then in mix stage when my tracks where all ready bounced too audio i had fix my bass and lead sounds so they didn`t cancelled out some freq`s in mono.

From now on i just have too work in mono with these bass and lead sounds and maybe make them wider during the mix stage.
I compare my tracks with deadmau5, noisia, feedme, wolfgang gartner and there bass sounds are indeed mono with some wide gritt on it....if this makes any sense :D

@cbentley yeah i know about the haas effect........This is how deadmau5 plays with it, found it when searching about my unison problem :D .
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=213437762526

Thanks guys for your help
Why not separate the bass part of your bass and the mid-high part of your bass? Keep the bass part in mono so that you'll have the weight on a mono system, then do unison and such on the mids and highs. I can give an example if you'd like me to.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:16 am

I only have a ti and a slim phatty
you poor thing how do you manage :lol:
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

rustig

Post by rustig » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:14 pm

kev herb wrote:
I only have a ti and a slim phatty
you poor thing how do you manage :lol:

It is very hard sometimes....But i don`t know i just manage it :mrgreen: