cheapest way to assemble a foot controled bass synth

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
h3rtz

cheapest way to assemble a foot controled bass synth

Post by h3rtz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:23 pm

hi there,

i wonder if some of u guys experimented with this kind of live gear. the point is to be able to play guitar and bass synth in the same time, so i am looking for a convinient way to foot control a hardware synth. the only dedicated gear i found so far is the moog taurus, but the prize matters, and so does the size.

currently i am thinking of getting a DSI mopho desktop and a behringer fb1010. i would connect it directly to each other and program the footboard to trigger the sequencer of the mopho. all analogue sound, about 450 euros. i just wonder if i could program the peadals to hold a note if i keep pushing it, in case i dont want to use the sequencer. i know theres midi bass pedals, but those are crazily expensive, more than the synth itself, and huge and heavy.

i already have a line6 m13 guitar effects which can send CC messages, but they cant be changed on the board. so i would have to run the midi signal through my computer to a midi mapper before it gets to the synth, right? anybody got experience with that? would it be theoretically possible to control propellerhead rebirth in a similar way? or is there another combination of a synth and a foot controller which makes more sense in this price range? it should include a step sequencer. a good software solution might also be interesting.

looking forward to your suggestions!

greets, h.

Angstrom

Re: cheapest way to assemble a foot controled bass synth

Post by Angstrom » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:17 pm

Edit - post removed due to function doubt

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:09 pm

There's the Roland PK5, but they're rather expensive a single octave pedal board IMO. typically £385.

MIDI equipped organ style pedal boards all seem really expensive, and quite rare.

For years I've had a half baked plan to build my own using the guts out of cheap midi keyboard. one day....
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Moody

Post by Moody » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Hire a bass player? :P
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:02 am

@Angstrom: what?

@crumhorn: just to ensure we are talking about the same thing: the pk5 doesnt generate sound, its a pure controller, and way to expensive. also too big as i am on the move a lot. as far as i know the fcb1010 is fully hackable, not small but handy, light and...cheap! but i am not sure if its layout fits. u need at least 12 step buttons for being able to play a full octave. the fcb1010 does have precisely twelve, but two are labeled as bank up/down switches. not sure if these can be programed on notes.

@moody: i always loved playing in bands, but this project is just me with a live sampling concept. i am currently living abroad and don't have the time to deal with other peoples schedules. so it's a one man live band. i am trying to avoid being stuck in endless overdubs, thats why i am looking for alternative solutions to control instruments.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:18 am

This seems to be more or less what you're looking for, for about $350/€250/£220 with a MIDI adapter (unless you're okay with USB, then it ends up being ~$50/€35/£30 cheaper): http://www.keithmcmillen.com/12step/overview

For my needs the softstep is more compelling, but it's really more for effects control, whereas the 12 step is their full octave instrument controller.

h3rtz

Post by h3rtz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:35 am

@ryanmf: this is indeed what i was looking for. thanks a lot mate. can't wait to get it.

any suggesions about aynths with sequencers, anyone? i wonder if u can use the arpeggiator of, for instance, a blofeld, to hold melodic patterns.