Any Battery 2 Users Out There??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ct43

Any Battery 2 Users Out There??

Post by ct43 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:49 pm

Ive got Battery 1 & there is something thats really annoying about it... if you have say a drum roll with a kick drum, it clicks & pops and sounds rubbish.. also sometimes it triggers bass drums with a slightly different tone say 1 out of ever 4 beats, very strange...

This doesnt seem to happen with high freq sounds..

Does Bat2 suffer from this as well, or did they sort it out??

Thanks

Carl.

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:14 pm

Don't know what's causing your snaps, crackles and pops but maybe it's a CPU and or RAM issue. What are your specs?

Most kits in battery are multi layered- triggering the same cel at slightly different velocity would naturally give you a slightly different sound.

My experience with the battery2 demo showed a 30% cpu increase using the same kit with no effects. Won't be needing that for a while.

ct43

Post by ct43 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:24 pm

well im running a P4 3.06 with a gig of ram...

I think its to do with it triggering the same sample in quick sucsession (cutting of the early sample not at a zero crossing)... but other samplers can do this so I think its a bug.. it only happens on low freq sound though...

BTW im not using different velocities so the varying sound isnt to do with that... it doesnt do it all the time, but when it does its a pain.

CPU hike is a bit bad, dont think ill be upgrading either!

buzzcock

Post by buzzcock » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:11 pm

ct43-

"P4 3.06 with a gig of ram"

Why not give the demo a try- with all that horsepower, you may have better results than me. (mac dual 1ghz)

ct43

Post by ct43 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:35 pm

ive had the demo on the machine already (a while ago) but I didnt think of checking for the same problem (wasent using battery 1 much then) so, im a bit snookered on that one...

Thanks anyway

Carl.

Haselmeier

Post by Haselmeier » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:42 pm

Maybe you have to check only the latency and Asiodrivers of you soundcard!

I own and use Bat 2 a lot and don't got any probs.
PIV 3.2 Ghz, 2GB-Ram, RME-Hammerfall - DSP > Multiface...

ct43

Post by ct43 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:33 pm

Haselmeier wrote:Maybe you have to check only the latency and Asiodrivers of you soundcard!

I own and use Bat 2 a lot and don't got any probs.
PIV 3.2 Ghz, 2GB-Ram, RME-Hammerfall - DSP > Multiface...
would letency & ASIO effect pops & clicks in rendered audio? like I say it does seem to be a sample triggering problem in Bat 1...

good to hear youve got no problems with Bat2 though..

TekMonki

Post by TekMonki » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:33 pm

I don't know enough about the particulars, but I had this (similar sounding) problem in Cubase SX. The fix there was to turn on "Old Host Behaviour" for Battery. Voila, no more pops and clicks. Obviously, you can't do this in Live, but maybe there's something similar? Or at least it's a place to start looking . . .

supster

Post by supster » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:01 pm

I use Battery 2 and am not overlly concerned with CPU - then again I use a completely seperate Drum template runnng B2 for every track i produce - gives amazing flexibility

Um I also have this issue where the first beat of a kick in a clip comes off sounding weak.

No it doent always happen, it doesnt seem velocity based, I have no idea why ... I'll try and isolate it further if i can
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

ct43

Post by ct43 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:40 pm

TekMonki wrote:I don't know enough about the particulars, but I had this (similar sounding) problem in Cubase SX. The fix there was to turn on "Old Host Behaviour" for Battery. Voila, no more pops and clicks. Obviously, you can't do this in Live, but maybe there's something similar? Or at least it's a place to start looking . . .
thanks for that, ill check it out in a bit...

onnomon

Snap Crackle Poppin' Drum rolls with Battery

Post by onnomon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:15 am

I've had similar issues and have alleviated it by setting the "Mute Group". The Mute Group is either "Off" or some value from 1 to ???. Basically sets up a one-voice channel (normally used for hi-hats) when set to a numeric value. Just make sure it's not the same as an existing mute group. Is this a kit you created from scratch?

Beyond that, I don't know whether Battery 1.5 (and below) has a quick "auto-fade" capability to eliminate spikes in the waveform due to re-triggering.

good luck.

ct43

Post by ct43 » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:44 am

thanks, ill check the mute group thing out.... not used Battery for a few days... but hopefully should be able to get it sorted now..

Yeah it is just a kit I made myself BTW

Cheers

Carl.