Audio Interface - Firewire to USB?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
matthews

Audio Interface - Firewire to USB?

Post by matthews » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Looking for some advice here....

I'm currently using a focusrite 2i2. Very happy with it actually. However, I've been hearing a lot of positives about the quality of the Echo Audiofire line of interfaces. So, being the audiophile I am, wouldn't mind testing it out...

Problem is this though, my laptop does not have a firewire connection, just USB 3.0 and eSata. I'm wondering if I can go from firewire to usb (or esata) via an adaptor, without it effecting the quality in any way. I also have a PCI Express card slot, but I'd prefer not to go that route...

Thoughts?

rikhyray

Re: Audio Interface - Firewire to USB?

Post by rikhyray » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:16 pm

I dont think it is worth it at the moment. Echo has good reputation-build quality, solid drivers .The secret of Echo is that they are focused- only one type of product -sound cards (that just work). However all their current products are bit dated and at least when it is about preamps and sound quality their competitors - Presonus, TC, Focusrite have more attractive new models, taking advantage of newer, better and cheaper technology. If you really want to try Echo maybe wait for their next model, it might be USB.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm not speaking from experience, but I'd imagine that simply plugging a firewire audio interface into a usb adapter would be flaky at best. I doubt it would even work without some extra layer of software. If it worked, the actual quality of the audio would be unaffected since it's all digital. The A/D converters in the interface are what matters.

FWIW, I'm satisfied with Focusrite converters. If you are as much of an audiophile as you say, you might consider an RME interface. ;) I also have this sneaking suspicion that firewire will fade in the next 5 years, and we will see mostly usb and thunderbolt devices.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:20 pm

I'm on the other side of the fence. I have Firewire, and under my circumstances, prefer it in part over the packet method that USB sends. I keep my USB 1.0. and 2.0 ports open for controllers and have absolutely no interest in converting one to the other. You have built in USB 3.0 which trumps my FireWire; I'd hardly be curious to know how the other half lives. But you'll need to hold out until more interfaces take advantage of that port. The stall may come from the fact that thunderbolt is an even more aspiring technology which supercedes anything that goes through the PCI. I think we'll get a first wave of 3.0 interfaces before the first hurrah of items going directly to bolt. Whatever you buy right now I'd think in the short term, as a transition piece to kick around on.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:49 pm

Pretty sure there is no practical solution to go from firewire to usb. eSATA wont do it either, but its great for external hard drives. Your best bet would be to use firewire expresscard but how well that will work depends on your laptop.

In general I always suggest people stay away from firewire if they can avoid it anyways, its a poor standard and on its way out (but obviously dying a slow death)
Last edited by Donnie on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matthews

Post by matthews » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks guys, I'll stick with the 2i2, its been good to me so far.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:39 pm

Donnie wrote: In general I always suggest people stay away from firewire if they can avoid it anyways, its a poor standard and on its way out (but obviously dying a slow death)
It may be gradually on its way out, but it has better sustained throughput in real world usage than USB2, and there's less CPU loading due to the Firewire chipsets. And FW800 blows USB2 away. There aren't a million USB 3 interfaces out there yet (or enough ports to plug them into). So I'm not sure where the "poor standard" comes from.

I'd always TRY to get FW over USB2, but as you rightly say, since it's gradually on its way out I'd be more worried about whether my next laptop will still have FW in (probably one of the main reasons the firewire MOTU 828mk3 I own was re-released as a hybrid version that does both).

bujalex

Post by bujalex » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:03 pm

rikhyray wrote:I dont think it is worth it at the moment. Echo has good reputation-build quality, solid drivers .The secret of Echo is that they are focused- only one type of product -sound cards (that just work). However all their current products are bit dated and at least when it is about preamps and sound quality their competitors - Presonus, TC, Focusrite have more attractive new models, taking advantage of newer, better and cheaper technology. If you really want to try Echo maybe wait for their next model, it might be USB.
I bought brandnew Scarlett 2i2 and regret it. Connected to USB 2.0/1.1 port (Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V) works horribly (background noises) with Ableton Live 7.0.7. But after installing the newest drivers (2.3) and connecting to USB 3.0 port it didn't work at all. XP message: "No Focusrite USB 2.0 devices with AUDIO were found attached to this computer. If you are using a Focusrite USB 1.1 audio device, please open the Focusrite USB 1.1 Audio Control Panel. This control panel is intended for MIDI devices." What's odd sound vie phones is crisp and dynamic without hiss.

???

I used some interfaces like Behringer FCA, Audiotrak Optoplay and soudcards: Echo Mia MIDI, Turtle Beach Tropez+ and Julia...and now Focusrite... and to my mind Behringer and Echo outscored the rest! Only Behringer FCA is firewire in this team but it sounds great, but Echo sounded like high-end in comparison to Julia or 2i2.

Now I use desktop with AMD X4 631 Quad Core, Gigabyte GA-A75M-S2V, Windows XP Home, service pack 3.

regards
Toshiba Satellite laptop, Intel Core Duo 1.6, 2 GB RAM, XP Media Center customized for audio, Behringer FCA 202

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 am

Firewire is dead. Garbage as well as Thunderbolt.