Lose Keyboard Once I program Notes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
steverido

Lose Keyboard Once I program Notes

Post by steverido » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:54 pm

I am sure this is meant to happen but not knowing I need to ask the question.

If I add a VST to a midi channel and find the correct sound and then program something in a use playback I then seem to lose the midi keyboard. Can someone advise how to switch it back on again as I am just trying things out and want to be able to keep on using the keyboard.

dsu

Re: Lose Keyboard Once I program Notes

Post by dsu » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 pm

If you place the track Record and Auto, does the keyboard control the VSTi?
Similarly, if you place the track on input does the keyoard control the VSTi?

If these conditions are true then it seems that things are working properly and the problem might be that when you are playing back the notes you programmed the keyboard is not also working.

In the case there are couple of things but since I'm at work I can't check the details but I believe there is some way of recording in to the clip that you programed. The problem with this is that everything gets mushed together into the on clip. What I do is duplicate the track, delete the click and record a new click while listening to the original clip. It seems simpler to me but I'm sure others have more sophisticated techniques.

steverido

Re: Lose Keyboard Once I program Notes

Post by steverido » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm

dsu wrote:If you place the track Record and Auto, does the keyboard control the VSTi?
Similarly, if you place the track on input does the keyoard control the VSTi?

If these conditions are true then it seems that things are working properly and the problem might be that when you are playing back the notes you programmed the keyboard is not also working.

In the case there are couple of things but since I'm at work I can't check the details but I believe there is some way of recording in to the clip that you programed. The problem with this is that everything gets mushed together into the on clip. What I do is duplicate the track, delete the click and record a new click while listening to the original clip. It seems simpler to me but I'm sure others have more sophisticated techniques.

Not quite sure what you mean as I am not familiar with terminology. If I install a VST and then locate or make a sound that I like I can control with the keyboard and then if I draw into the midi area and playback after I lose the control over the keyboard.

I hope this makes sense!!