Questions about different sample rates

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
coldbuggin

Questions about different sample rates

Post by coldbuggin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:07 pm

I have decided to move my projects up to 88.2.

If I have files that I previously recorded at 44.1, can I just load them into the project without any adverse effects?

Also, I see that there is a hi quality setting for sample rate in preferences, and also one in the clip view. Are there differences between these? Do they have any effect on the issue I'm talking about? (I always thought it was related to higher quality pitch changes)

Angstrom

Re: Questions about different sample rates

Post by Angstrom » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:18 pm

If you are going to be working at 88.2 your samples will all be upsampled on the fly. You will certainly need that HiQ switch active on all your clips which use the 44.1 samples. Otherwise they just might sound like ass. Digital ass. ;)

Important to know : the HiQ setting in preferences is a preference for that button in the Clip.
when you load a sample, it uses that preference to see what it should set itself at.

NOTE: changing the preference in Preferences will not do anything to your existing clips
. It only affects what happens when you import a new sample, and make a clip.

If you really are planning on working at 88.2 forever, it might be worth upsampling offline, and save yourself a little bit of CPU and make sure you get no weird aliasing. It might be a good idea to get aquainted and comfortable with the project management tools and sample swapping doo-hickeys first though! You should just be able to swap the sample sources from there. Make 88.2 versions in a sample editor of your choice, open Live, manage project, swap the 44.1 versions for 88.2 versions.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Nerdy, 15 minute explanation of this topic: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qhz5J8NxjCY

Extra nerdy, 45 minute explanation by the same guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg8dSFGSaDQ

(He's well informed, and I'm glad he made these videos, but I wish he was a better presenter. Get ready to catch yourself tuning out, hit pause, take a break, and come back to it.)

coldbuggin

Post by coldbuggin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:29 pm

thanks guys, they should put this in ableton answers section.