Collision: Can it synthesize snare- and bassdrum etc...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Der_Makrophag

Collision: Can it synthesize snare- and bassdrum etc...

Post by Der_Makrophag » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi there Collision Users!

Although I understand, that Collision is mainly for melodic and exotic percussion (is that right).I asked myself how far the physical modeling goes? As it can simulate a membrane and someting hitting it, can it synthesize regular drums like bassdrum, snaredrum and maybe toms and stuff? (ok, I guess the snare rattle must be added externally?) Or can Corpus apply some nice variations to synthetic drums instead?
I had a short session on the demo but did not really come far, as physical modelling is new to me. I will try some more, but in the meantime I wish to have some words from you experienced users.

So did you ever try to synthesize those drums with collision?
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

ollyb303

Re: Collision: Can it synthesize snare- and bassdrum etc...

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Collision is a synthesizer for mallet instruments (xylophone, glockenspiel, etc).

That's not to say it can't do what you want it to, I really haven't explored it too much (I mostly use it for bell type sounds).
Last edited by ollyb303 on Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:32 pm

Xylophones type sounds. But also thick mellow bass sounds is possible, at low pitch. But it is very limitid to a few spesific sounds. Not good for drums in general I would say. You could make an 808 kind of deep bass kick, but nothing realy punchy. Operator is great for synth drums. Accoustic cymbals are very hard to do on anny synth, exept a few which are spesificaly designed for it. Drumaxx comes to mind.. Microtonic or Operator is great for analog synth type hats and shakes. (electro, kraftwerk etc)

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Bass drum can be done, since a bass drum is hit by a mallet and you can set the resonator in collision to be a membrane.
Will it be the best kick? maybe not, but it's worth a try.

Snare is a little bit more tricky because it's not only a membrane but also the snares themselves, but you can do some very reasonable toms, etc..

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:50 pm

I decided to try it out for myself and put my money where my mouth is.

Ka'plah! it works pretty nicely for something I did in 2 minutes

Here's my patch:
http://www.holybass.ca/macguffin/kickdrumtest.adv

also, snares are totally doable because of the noise function

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:30 am

Hmm thats what I expected.
Drumaxx looks good, I did not know that one before. I will check in out in the evening. Also MacGuffins file. Thanks so far for your replies.

BTW As the basic physics are already there (and as I understood, Collision does its job quite good), would'nt it be easy for Ableton to build a drumsynth upon these techniques?

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

tigali

Post by tigali » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:15 am

Due to this thread I just spent 20 minutes building a kit in collision and I think it sounds fantastic. I was going more for the analogue drum machine sounds then natural drums but I'm really happy with the results. No reason you couldn't build all the drum sounds you want with collision. Particularly once you start adding EQs and Saturators and layering sounds. Cheers for the thread.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Der_Makrophag wrote:BTW As the basic physics are already there (and as I understood, Collision does its job quite good), would'nt it be easy for Ableton to build a drumsynth upon these techniques?
Between Operator, Collision, Analog and Drum racks... I see no real need for a drum synth. I rather like Live's modular approach to things.

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:51 pm

In this Dubspot tutorial by John Selway, he uses a snare made w/ Collision. It's a very cool snare.

From the link:

"Enter your email address to download John Selway's free Ableton Live Pack
The Live pack includes a Drum Rack containing kick and high hat sounds he synthesized with Operator, a snare made with Collision, and a processed sample of his very own real hand clap."

http://blog.dubspot.com/ableton-live-op ... al-selway/

To quote https://twitter.com/#!/Special1TV - "Do it now."

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:25 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
Der_Makrophag wrote:BTW As the basic physics are already there (and as I understood, Collision does its job quite good), would'nt it be easy for Ableton to build a drumsynth upon these techniques?
Between Operator, Collision, Analog and Drum racks... I see no real need for a drum synth. I rather like Live's modular approach to things.
Well, if you have time at hand, you can shape almost any sound with a good VA synth, eq and fx. But a good accoustic sounding high hat or ride cymbal is very hard, if not impossible on most synths, if they are not specialy tailored to do these kinds of emulations. Ive tried many times. Because of the cymbals fast vibration, a lot of things are going on. Kind of sine wave lfos on top of lfos, like wavs in the ocean. Pluss the white noise, which is very hard on a VA, and the metalic hit aswell. Try to zoom in on a cymbal sample, and you will hear its a lot more going on then what you see.

tigali: nice to here you made some sensible drums out of it! Im going to try it again, next time I have the chance.

MacGuffin

Post by MacGuffin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:16 pm

it's true that acoustic sounding cymbals are hard to synthesize, maybe Applied Acoustics could come up with a decent model of that... but in the meantime I'll use Operator for artificial cymbals and samples of real drums for acoustic sounds.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:32 pm

MacGuffin wrote:it's true that acoustic sounding cymbals are hard to synthesize, maybe Applied Acoustics could come up with a decent model of that... but in the meantime I'll use Operator for artificial cymbals and samples of real drums for acoustic sounds.
Samples, or Drumaxx can do some cymbals. But mostly its samples for me.

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:34 pm

MacGuffin wrote:
Yeah but I own none of these and jsut thought about buying one of them because Ableton's 25% off. But I will NOT buy all 3. Collision is the one of my interest, because this is something I do not have (physical modelling). So for people with suite your statement is right. I also rather have Ableton work on other things than another synth you have to pay for additionally to the upgrades!

Anyway, your patch sounds quite ok, a bit to boomy for me. maybe I will rather spend the money on Drumaxx, I tried it and it sounded good. I am just not used to the care one has to take with the parameters. You can easily crap your patch. But it can even do claps. But Collision is still interesting. Both wil get an intense session to see what I like most.

@tigali
Can you share an audio sample of your kit maybe?

Greetings from Germany!