Impulse vs Simpler vs Drum Rack for simply one-shots

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
JessGins

Impulse vs Simpler vs Drum Rack for simply one-shots

Post by JessGins » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 pm

I've searched the forums, google, other forums, and I can't seem to dig up an old thread I read on this, but it's very worth raising this question again.

Several years ago I read something Deadmau5 had said in regards to Impulse vs Simpler for programming Kick Drums. He said that they were not in-fact equal, and that one of them was apparently slightly biting off a tiny bit of transient at the beginning of the sample.

Does anybody know whether or not this is legitimate? If it's true, which one has the highest quality of output?

Personally, I use Impulse because I find it makes my kicks punchier. Can that be my mind playing tricks?

Theo Void

Re: Impulse vs Simpler vs Drum Rack for simply one-shots

Post by Theo Void » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Well I never use Impulse. Like, I actually forgot about it! I guess it's a cool lil drum sampler but it's got nothing on Drum Racks, and since Drum Racks are made of a bunch of Simplers, I 'd say I'm all about Simpler!
I don't have Sampler but I 've been meaning to get it!.

JessGins

Post by JessGins » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:18 pm

Here is the link to the blog post by Deadmau5 where he talks to Steve Duda about the Inpulse taking away transient:

http://www.myspace.com/deadmau5/blog/393775269

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:28 pm

There are a number of things that Simpler doesn't have on Impulse, though. I'm guilty of forgetting about it even though I'd get a kick out of using it's features.
ImageImage