McMillen QuNeo looks to be everything I want in a controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
regretfullySaid

Re: McMillen QuNeo looks to be everything I want in a controller

Post by regretfullySaid » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Ok I misread your post. I really need to stop reading and responding right after I wake up and still lying bed.
I was thinking of something more along the lines of mapping.

You're talking about live visual indicators for your controllers, very cool. I suppose you put that up on another screen?

Are you able to set up push button sequences with max/4l? I set up a lot of those with X-Controls, like telling a button to cycle through the first 4 chains in a rack on each press, or like 8 specific numbers on a knob.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something that would be nice with the quneo is if it sent out some sort of message when you switch presets, that way you could set up the LEDs the way you want them for each preset and use that message command to switch the led set up accordingly. I'm not even sure this can be done properly with good remote scripting (unless you use an impractical refresh rate?...)

Midi tracks can still be set up to go with presets (I haven't done it yet but would like to test it out because it should theoretically work) but you'd have to manually switch them each time manually.

With my set up, a lot of the process is revision. I really just keep going back to the same 4 or 5 presets (though I made a good new one specifically for the contest) and keep refining. The more static my Live template has become, the more static my layouts become, plus I've spread some other important functions out the Axiom (which I don't use as a keyboard) and TouchOsc which also goes through revision. When it's all said and as close to done as it can get (it will never be "done" since it's inevitable that core changes will be made, but that's fun) I'll be able to zoom around comfortably with the most important aspects of my set up and hopefully the line between performance and production will be a lot thinner (which is a tall order).
Last edited by regretfullySaid on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:32 pm

I'm selling my QuNeo for anyone interested in getting one a bit cheaper than brand new. Barely used, just requires too much set up for me.

mk4kc5cmc4 @ gmail
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

trevox

Post by trevox » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:35 pm

shadx312 wrote:Ok I misread your post. I really need to stop reading and responding right after I wake up and still lying bed.
I was thinking of something more along the lines of mapping.

You're talking about live visual indicators for your controllers, very cool. I suppose you put that up on another screen?
Yep, the intent is more as a visual aid - I find looking at any DAW never really represents the way controllers are set up, making things kinda counter intuitive. Having said that, I ended up doing quite a bit of mapping in Max as it is easier to do some things in there.
shadx312 wrote:Are you able to set up push button sequences with max/4l? I set up a lot of those with X-Controls, like telling a button to cycle through the first 4 chains in a rack on each press, or like 8 specific numbers on a knob.
Don't see any reason why not, but not something I have tried.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shadx312 wrote:Something that would be nice with the quneo is if it sent out some sort of message when you switch presets, that way you could set up the LEDs the way you want them for each preset and use that message command to switch the led set up accordingly. I'm not even sure this can be done properly with good remote scripting (unless you use an impractical refresh rate?...)
I don't bother with switching between presets (unless I'm using Traktor or something). I programmed my whole interface based on one custom preset I set up myself. Having said that, it would be a nice touch!

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:40 am

Something that occurred to me: how easy is it to map this thing in Live, considering that each pad can send so many messages? Let's say that you want a pad to activate an effect while pressed, and the same pad's x/y to control parameters of the same effect? How do you manage to map pressure to one parameter and velocity to another?

I ask because even with something as comparatively rudimentary as the x/y pad on the padKontrol, I've found that I need to take care that Live registers the correct cc (x, not y or vice versa) when I'm in map mode.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:57 am

There's a mapping mode called COMA so you press a certain area on the pad that corresponds to X/Y, CC, note, pressure...
You just hold down the Blue button to go into the mode, then either press the certain area, or also tap for cc or hold for note (depends on the pad)
Really easy.
ImageImage

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 am

This just keeps getting better... :D

Thanks again for your quick reply!

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Soytnly!
ImageImage

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:51 pm

this is kind of cool, but $395 for a wireless battery pack???

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/QuNeo/rogue/

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 am

I lol'd when I saw the price.
ImageImage

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:09 am

it's crazy talk

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:25 am

I think it's marketed for the rich kid in the neighborhood who wants the other kids to like him.
ImageImage

sounddevisor

Post by sounddevisor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:58 pm

shadx312 wrote:I lol'd when I saw the price.
+1. I'm pretty happy with my QuNeo, but not to the point where I would pay twice as much as it cost to add wireless to it!

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:59 pm

If I were a professional touring musician that price wouldn't be completely unreasonable, assuming it's rock-solid.

bigmonster7

Post by bigmonster7 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:52 pm

not sure if anyone knows how to do this, but having an issue getting the LEDs to match the ableton screen.

For example, I have a script that allows me to navigate different audio racks on one channel. And when I am on each different rack, I can control the different parameters via the horziontal/vertical sliders on the quneo.

However, when I go from rack to rack, the LEDs aren't changing with respect to which rack I am looking at. So if parameter 1 on rack 1 is all the way up (127), the LED on it's corresponding slider on Quneo is all lit up. But when I navigate via quneo to the next rack, and parameter 1 on rack 2 is all the way down, the corresponding slider (the same one that is assigned for all parameter 1s) is still all lit up.

So I am trying to get the LED levels to be in sync when I go from rack to rack. I know it works on some of the templates, so I wonder what I am doing wrong here.

Thanks!

trevox

Post by trevox » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:25 pm

bigmonster7 wrote:not sure if anyone knows how to do this, but having an issue getting the LEDs to match the ableton screen.

For example, I have a script that allows me to navigate different audio racks on one channel. And when I am on each different rack, I can control the different parameters via the horziontal/vertical sliders on the quneo.

However, when I go from rack to rack, the LEDs aren't changing with respect to which rack I am looking at. So if parameter 1 on rack 1 is all the way up (127), the LED on it's corresponding slider on Quneo is all lit up. But when I navigate via quneo to the next rack, and parameter 1 on rack 2 is all the way down, the corresponding slider (the same one that is assigned for all parameter 1s) is still all lit up.

So I am trying to get the LED levels to be in sync when I go from rack to rack. I know it works on some of the templates, so I wonder what I am doing wrong here.

Thanks!
I'm not using scripts in Ableton as I have done everything in Max, but while doing this, I came across a similar issue. The problem is that the LED's on the Quneo seem to be independent of the parameter values you have set them to send. For LED changes, the vertical sliders are cc's 1-4; the horizontal are 8-11 - all on channel 1. If you send cc messages using these parameter numbers to the Quneo, you should see the LED's change accordingly. So let's say horizontal slider 1 is sending cc value 33, when you have mapped this to several racks, as you switch between them, Live sends out cc 33 to the Quneo to update it (just like it would do for any controller). But Quneo's LED's for that slider is expecting cc 1 and therefore doesn't change. So your scripting has to somehow figure out a way of mapping cc 33 to cc 1 so the LED's get updated. This will get even more complicated if you are using banks within the Quneo itself as there would be 4 possible cc's to map to cc 1 for each slider.

I can't help you out on the scripting, but hope that at least helps explain why it may not be acting as expected!