Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Rabalder

Re: Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned

Post by Rabalder » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:45 am

sporkles wrote:Thread concluded: digital sounds thin and cold. Computers suck. Analogue wins again.
Hell yeah!

esky

Post by esky » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Welcome to the parallel universe of the ableton forum were people still lead Mac versus pc discussions...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Earwax69 wrote:Wow, and I though this thread would be locked in less than 5min... now there's 5 pages of it!
Because you are noob. I never post rumor or bashing thread. I always try to put articles, data or quote that can be used to compare systems and products. This is better way to help people who are now comparing and considering to buy products.

"Digital sounds bad!"
"Windows is for nerd!"
"Red apple sounds better than green one because this is red."
"Mac run faster because it's pricey!"
Hype is rather harmful.

nz

Post by nz » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:28 pm

troll
MacBook Pro/Mac Mini
Ableton Live 10

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:47 pm

nz wrote:troll
Excellent idea.

I'm here to tell you all that PCs are much better for music because the technology is older so the sound hardware is still analog, which of course sounds much nicer. So Macs can be good if you like brittle MP3s but they just won't saturate nicely because there's no tape. How could there be? The laptops are so small there's no place to put a read head.

The reason PC laptops are always venting so much hot air is because of the vacuum tubes. This is also why the batteries don't last as long on the cheaper models. Good sound takes power after all. Even the internet has been described as a series of tubes, which is probably why everyone likes it so much.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 pm

This thread can vacuum my tube

HAHA SEE WHAT I DID THERE

maxgraham

Post by maxgraham » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:54 pm

hmm #1 in customer satisfaction year after year, i don't know any pc company that can hold a candle to Apple's support, service and replacement. Did you know if your machine has three problems within it's three year apple care life they give you a brand new machine? and the latest model?

Used windows for ten years and have thoroughly enjoyed moving to Mac OS with almost zero headaches and an iMac/MacBook Pro that are a dream to work with.

To each his own 100% but it's disingenuous to say they have poor customer service.

http://www.laptopmag.com/mobile-life/te ... spx?page=4

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:58 pm

maxgraham wrote:hmm #1 in customer satisfaction year after year, i don't know any pc company that can hold a candle to Apple's support, service and replacement. Did you know if your machine has three problems within it's three year apple care life they give you a brand new machine? and the latest model?
Sadly that's simply not 100% true, Logic board, battery and charger all died within the warranty, no brand new laptop here. Sounds like if the logic board had died three times that might have been the case, but they aren't handing out new laptops to people who have battery and charger issues. :?

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:22 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
maxgraham wrote:hmm #1 in customer satisfaction year after year, i don't know any pc company that can hold a candle to Apple's support, service and replacement. Did you know if your machine has three problems within it's three year apple care life they give you a brand new machine? and the latest model?
Sadly that's simply not 100% true, Logic board, battery and charger all died within the warranty, no brand new laptop here. Sounds like if the logic board had died three times that might have been the case, but they aren't handing out new laptops to people who have battery and charger issues. :?
It does have to be the same component, there is no "hard" rule, it's more of a guideline (maybe they replace the computer after two component failures, maybe four or five, it all depends on context), and a great way to not get what you want at the Genius Bar is to tell them that you know about the practice, and act like you expect/deserve it. The "Genius" you're talking to doesn't even have the authority to make the call, a manager always has to sign off, there's a ton of paperwork involved, and the cost of your replacement computer comes out of that store's budget. Honestly it's a fairly rare occurrence, in large part because it's rare for three straight (for instance) Logic boards to fail in one machine with no clear explanation as to what else should be repaired/replaced to address the source of the problem.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Ryanmf wrote: It does have to be the same component, there is no "hard" rule, it's more of a guideline (maybe they replace the computer after two component failures, maybe four or five, it all depends on context), and a great way to not get what you want at the Genius Bar is to tell them that you know about the practice, and act like you expect/deserve it. The "Genius" you're talking to doesn't even have the authority to make the call, a manager always has to sign off, there's a ton of paperwork involved, and the cost of your replacement computer comes out of that store's budget. Honestly it's a fairly rare occurrence, in large part because it's rare for three straight (for instance) Logic boards to fail in one machine with no clear explanation as to what else should be repaired/replaced to address the source of the problem.
Never thought about it when I went in, to me it's a miracle they don't blame you for battery or charger failures since both those items are common places in a system for problems. Like you're saying I simply would not count on a new computer as a possibility when encountering problems with a macbook etc. under warranty. I can say that the irony of the first time I ever buy Apple Care being the only time I've ever needed Apple Care within the first three years of owning an Apple product is amusing.

Now back to our regular scheduled Mac VS PC nonsense fiesta! :mrgreen:

maxgraham

Post by maxgraham » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:05 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Battery is covered within the first year ( as it's considered a consumable, like a tire, it's not covered beyond that) and you're right that the charger doesn't count but that's not a part of the machine so it would have no bearing on a machine potentially being a "lemon" (the reason for the rule). Would have to be three internal components (again to indicate a lemon) and none within 30 days of each other (otherwise the blame goes to the ASP who repaired it for a free fix)

maxgraham

Post by maxgraham » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:12 am

Ryanmf wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
It does have to be the same component, there is no "hard" rule, it's more of a guideline (maybe they replace the computer after two component failures, maybe four or five, it all depends on context), and a great way to not get what you want at the Genius Bar is to tell them that you know about the practice, and act like you expect/deserve it. The "Genius" you're talking to doesn't even have the authority to make the call, a manager always has to sign off, there's a ton of paperwork involved, and the cost of your replacement computer comes out of that store's budget. Honestly it's a fairly rare occurrence, in large part because it's rare for three straight (for instance) Logic boards to fail in one machine with no clear explanation as to what else should be repaired/replaced to address the source of the problem.
not sure who told you it had to be the same component as that's not the case at all. Three major failures of internal components, 30 days apart (to be sure one didn't cause the other) during the life of the warranty warrants a replacement. In my experience if the customer calls Apple and there's clear evidence of three unique breakdowns during the life of the warranty a machine is sent as a replacement. We've done it many times and it's zero paperwork other than the standard single repair forms online.

bottom line, if you have three unique problems in the life of the warranty and call Apple to complain, they will likely send you a new machine.

Can you explain this "ton of paperwork" in your experience? i'm very interested in what it could be.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 am

pencilrocket wrote:
Earwax69 wrote:Wow, and I though this thread would be locked in less than 5min... now there's 5 pages of it!
Because you are noob. I never post rumor or bashing thread. I always try to put articles, data or quote that can be used to compare systems and products. This is better way to help people who are now comparing and considering to buy products.

"Digital sounds bad!"
"Windows is for nerd!"
"Red apple sounds better than green one because this is red."
"Mac run faster because it's pricey!"
Hype is rather harmful.
No you are noob! you stupid poopy ass noob!
you pooped face farty noob!
i bet you poop and pee pee in your mouth!
you diaper eating noob!
im going to tell your mom!
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:51 am

djadonis206 wrote:You can't trust people with beards, they have something to hide.
cant trust em as far as you can throw them.

that doesn't make sense though does it.
since you can only trust me as far as i can be thrown and i weigh 165
how much trust does that equate to?
im guessing 2 feet of trust.

so you can trust people with beards, but only for two feet. if you let us bearded people be in charge of 3 feet will will eff it up.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:30 am

maxgraham wrote:Can you explain this "ton of paperwork" in your experience?
Nope.
maxgraham wrote:i'm very interested in what it could be.
It could be that I worked for Apple Retail for a period of years, and spent most of my time there delivering training sessions, taking appointments at the Genius Bar, and doing data transfers and repairs in the back. I've never had one of my own computers CRU'd but I've been involved in a number of them—or discussions around them—but it's not really in my interest to discuss the details of other people's experiences, so I won't.

Nevertheless I do know what I'm talking about.
maxgraham wrote: bottom line [blah blah blah] complain, they will likely send you a new machine.
You wouldn't believe the things retail store managers and customer service agents will do to get rid of someone who is sufficiently annoying. If we're only testing the theory of "The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease," then yeah, usually. I've seen a number of people get things they probably didn't deserve because otherwise they definitely wouldn't have gone away.

Nonetheless, there is a process, it's not set in stone, it certainly doesn't have the parameters you described, and more often than not it depends on the discretion of the people making the call. It's also generally reserved as a last resort option, and for good reason.

P.S. Geniuses are people too. They like to make nice things happen for people who are nice, and sometimes they try to bend the rules a bit to help out someone who seems to deserve it. They usually don't have any interest in doing favors for people who walk in expecting to find a way to get "hooked up" or who act as if whatever is wrong with their equipment is the most unacceptable, despicable problem facing society at that moment in time.