Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
macmurphy

Re: Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned

Post by macmurphy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:50 am

pencilrocket wrote: Tool is tool.
yep.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:18 am

maxgraham wrote:hmm #1 in customer satisfaction year after year, i don't know any pc company that can hold a candle to Apple's support, service and replacement.
Understand the cognitive dissonance before telling us these subjective poll as a objective data. You'll understand it totally nonsense.

That's really the orgin of the sprit of hype "mac should run faster because I paid excessive amount of money" "mac's UI is the best because it's mac".

That's the obvious examples of cognitive dissonance. The reality is rather contrary being different from what they try to think and understand.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:55 am

pencilrocket wrote:
maxgraham wrote:hmm #1 in customer satisfaction year after year, i don't know any pc company that can hold a candle to Apple's support, service and replacement.
Understand the cognitive dissonance before telling us these subjective poll as a objective data. You'll understand it totally nonsense.

That's really the orgin of the sprit of hype "mac should run faster because I paid excessive amount of money" "mac's UI is the best because it's mac".

That's the obvious examples of cognitive dissonance. The reality is rather contrary being different from what they try to think and understand.
The problem here is you don't write english with enough clarity to throw around words like "cognitive dissonance", that's not me being mean, it's just a practical fact. Your writing is horribly stunted and you come across as rude and uninformed but aggressively dominant.

When you title your thread "Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned" you're coming across as looking for a fight. You want to put Mac users in their place, and you chose a study that uses a PC with a hacked copy of OSX running on it which conversely when flipped over to use as a PC, the person doing the testing used BIOS hacks to help performance in Windows with. Now show me the same testing done with say Absynth running in Logic on a Mac Pro and in Cubase on a PC and we might have something or conversely every single test done by people on this forum with Live that have uniformly come out with less than 5% performance difference between OSX and Windows and we can talk. But I don't think you're interested in talking, you have this ridiculous preconceived notion that Mac users are smug know nothings, so for most of this thread I've been feeding you what you want and you've bitten every time, no matter how ridiculous what I said was, because you think a whole set of computer users are retarded and didn't even figure out that I was messing with you, because you're ego is so bloated you didn't even stop once to consider that I could be making fun of you.

Now I admit that it could be just your lack of english skills, but I doubt it. Your whole point here is too obviously about you thinking you found concrete proof of the superiority of your choice in OS, when you simply haven't done any research at all to back that up.
Here's a couple little nuggets for you to chew on.
OSX does not require a reboot when a USB or firewire audio card gets removed or dislodged, it doesn't require you to instal drivers for each port.
It has built in support for system wide MIDI routing, and ASIO is not needed.
OSX has improved USB performance to where RME who normally are more pro PC stated that Apple do it right and Windows needs to learn a few things from them.
There is built in Network MIDI support for things like syncing two or more laptops running Live.

I could go on with this but really Mac VS PC is stupid, most people who are smart about it make choices based on what they need, not based in personal taste as much as things like not wanting to crash Live during a performance using Windows because you're running a ton of USB controllers and want to be able to fix an issue without rebooting, or you do need to save some money so you use a home built PC and only run a couple controllers with Live live etc. Solid practical reasons to choose either platform based on the strengths of the one you choose not on assumed weaknesses of the competition based on your personal prejudice.

Again personally I think the most intelligent choice you can make financially would be to stick with Live and use a home built PC desktop with a mid range macbook pro for performance. I'm too involved with Digital Performer, and a couple other Mac only audio programs to go that route but it's the solid choice IMO.

My advice to you would simply be to not post such pompous nonsense thread tittles and people might have actually engaged you in a constructive conversation about the test study you're interested in, instead of chatting about Apple Care and making you respond seriously to their joke posts. :wink:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:13 am

TLTR. If you don't understand what I wrote just understand the word "cognitive dissonance" in your 'understandable' English. When you don't understand the word even in your 'understandable' english that's not my problem. It's your problem.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 am

Blablablabla

Corgi Pembroke are the best!

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:17 am

This forum was crap for a long time but it's been a lot better since pencilrocket joined. Quality thread mate, absolute quality.

d-track

Post by d-track » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:40 am

I can clearly remember that day.
The hysteria on the streets was hilarious. People started to scream and pulled their hair. They roared such thigs as "why didn't no one tell me this before!" and "So thats why my tracks did not sell on beatport!"
I did not understand at all.
And now i have found this post.
pencilrocket you are fucking evil

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:52 am

Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned = Fail

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:00 am

pencilrocket wrote:TLTR. If you don't understand what I wrote just understand the word "cognitive dissonance" in your 'understandable' English. When you don't understand the word even in your 'understandable' english that's not my problem. It's your problem.
I know what cognitive dissonance means, but you don't understand english well enough to know when you're being made fun of, when people don't take you seriously, and obviously when you've hopelessly backed yourself into a corner and you look like a fool. Here's the shortened version:

"My advice to you would simply be to not post such pompous nonsense thread tittles and people might have actually engaged you in a constructive conversation about the test study you're interested in, instead of chatting about Apple Care and goading you into responding seriously to their joke posts."

That shouldn't be too hard for you to translate, or was that too many words for you? :P

DPMachine

Post by DPMachine » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 am

wow 100th post yay

on this topic

...are you SHITTING me?

macmurphy

Post by macmurphy » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:03 am

dazzer wrote:This forum was crap for a long time but it's been a lot better since pencilrocket joined. Quality thread mate, absolute quality.
reminds me a bit of the 3phase era :D

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:12 am

Machinesworking wrote:When you title your thread "Mac is no longer for todays DAW. It's obviously old fasioned" you're coming across as looking for a fight.
If I didn't add some facts or data, that would be true. But I actually added the data that I found interesting and think it may cast a Kopernikanische Wende to the myth.
You want to put Mac users in their place, and you chose a study that uses a PC with a hacked copy of OSX running on it which conversely when flipped over to use as a PC, the person doing the testing used BIOS hacks to help performance in Windows with.
You would critisized if he didn't compare the OS withing same environment.
Now show me the same testing done with say Absynth running in Logic on a Mac Pro and in Cubase on a PC and we might have something or conversely every single test done by people on this forum with Live that have uniformly come out with less than 5% performance difference between OSX and Windows and we can talk.
It is said that Cubase and Protools are more industry standard because they are cross platform. More meaningfull to many users. It's natural that they chose them.

As for requesting other 'minor' Daw, do yourself or request them to do.
But I don't think you're interested in talking, you have this ridiculous preconceived notion that Mac users are smug know nothings, so for most of this thread I've been feeding you what you want and you've bitten every time, no matter how ridiculous what I said was, because you think a whole set of computer users are retarded and didn't even figure out that I was messing with you, because you're ego is so bloated you didn't even stop once to consider that I could be making fun of you.
I did neither criticizing the user who know what they are using and who know what the data shows, nor personal attack. They have no feeling for the tool and won't be upset at all. They just use what get their job done with no problem.
Now I admit that it could be just your lack of english skills, but I doubt it. Your whole point here is too obviously about you thinking you found concrete proof of the superiority of your choice in OS, when you simply haven't done any research at all to back that up.
I don't have any feeling for OSs. I will choose OSs which will give me better performance when I have to renew the computer in the future. It's the lowest priority that what logo will be on my system.
Here's a couple little nuggets for you to chew on.
OSX does not require a reboot when a USB or firewire audio card gets removed or dislodged, it doesn't require you to instal drivers for each port.
It has built in support for system wide MIDI routing, and ASIO is not needed.
OSX has improved USB performance to where RME who normally are more pro PC stated that Apple do it right and Windows needs to learn a few things from them.
There is built in Network MIDI support for things like syncing two or more laptops running Live.
Then that's your opinion you prefer no-driver installation to 3 times better performance sampler.
I could go on with this but really Mac VS PC is stupid, most people who are smart about it make choices based on what they need, not based in personal taste as much as things like not wanting to crash Live during a performance using Windows because you're running a ton of USB controllers and want to be able to fix an issue without rebooting, or you do need to save some money so you use a home built PC and only run a couple controllers with Live live etc. Solid practical reasons to choose either platform based on the strengths of the one you choose not on assumed weaknesses of the competition based on your personal prejudice.

So you have nothing to argue here because the article shows objective data which we can consider when choosing system.
Again personally I think the most intelligent choice you can make financially would be to stick with Live and use a home built PC desktop with a mid range macbook pro for performance. I'm too involved with Digital Performer, and a couple other Mac only audio programs to go that route but it's the solid choice IMO.
It seems that the article I posted will help your observation too.
My advice to you would simply be to not post such pompous nonsense thread tittles and people might have actually engaged you in a constructive conversation about the test study you're interested in, instead of chatting about Apple Care and making you respond seriously to their joke posts. :wink:
Subject is always eye catchy and should be w/o false. So I clealy stated as much as possible. I don't think 3 times gap of performance is negligible for most recent producer who are working in digital audio workstation.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:22 am

Machinesworking wrote: I know what cognitive dissonance means, but you don't understand english well enough to know when you're being made fun of, when people don't take you seriously, and obviously when you've hopelessly backed yourself into a corner and you look like a fool. Here's the shortened version:

"My advice to you would simply be to not post such pompous nonsense thread tittles and people might have actually engaged you in a constructive conversation about the test study you're interested in, instead of chatting about Apple Care and goading you into responding seriously to their joke posts."

That shouldn't be too hard for you to translate, or was that too many words for you? :P
I'd like to ignore your post because it's pointless to me.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:48 am

There is nothing objective about running a hacked OSX to prove that Windows runs better on a tweaked PC it was designed to run on.
The same test done on a Mac Pro would show significantly different results.

Let's be clear here, if you're talking about the most successful and commonly used DAWs it would be Pro Tools and Logic, with Cubase slightly behind. Cubase is well known for having shitty performance on Macs, this has nothing to do with OSX, and everything to do with Steinberg, as Logic, Digital Performer, and Live all prove beyond a doubt.

The problem here isn't mac users cognitive dissonance, it's yours. You've found one test that proves the point you want to make, and haven't even bothered to research other tests of a similar nature. All of them besides this one with the guy running a hacked OSX come back with roughly +/- 5% difference in platforms in favor of optimized Windows, but usually only at around a 2-3% difference.

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:04 am

pencilrocket wrote:I'd like to ignore your post because it's pointless to me.
Just as pointless as this thread.