A Question on producing beats

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Shane Collins

A Question on producing beats

Post by Shane Collins » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:21 pm

Hello 8)

Ok, so anytime i want to create a track i have this fundamental problem with my beats, they always are flat, now this is before i add any effect what so ever, or any EQing. The thing that annoys me the most is any of the beats i choose to use are always more chunkier, fatter, louder ect before i put them in simpler/sampler or just as an audio file on an audio track. Im not trying to compare because i prefer ableton anyway but when i import a kick into logic it sounds the way it was originally the way i want it

I dont know why ableton does this but i would like to know how i can use a kicks original sound quality in ableton, like here is an example again, i hear a nice beat in a track so i cut it out using something like soundtrack pro and save it as my own kick, it sounds just the way i want it to so i bring it into ableton, and like i said without actually changing anything, adding effects or EQing, or using a sampler or audio track the kick just sounds so flat in comparison, why is this or what can i do to have that original sound?

Cheers
Shane

oddstep

Re: A Question on producing beats

Post by oddstep » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:51 pm

does the imported audio sound worse as an audio clip or a triggered sample within simpler/sampler?

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:03 pm

lotsa threads on this topic already...

Simpler's default state is -12db, 0 velocity, and somewhat short release. This can be changed and saved as a new default. I've found that just bringing velocity up to 70 or so and it sounds bigger again. Sampler is also as -12db.

For dragging one shots to an audio track, make sure auto warp and auto fade are off in global defaults.

Keep in mind Ableton is optimized for live use, not studio. Once you tweak it out it sounds the same as Logic but a lot of people never get that far before calling it bad sounding.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

Shane Collins

Post by Shane Collins » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:08 pm

thanks