Harsh reality of Automation in Live or I'm doin it wrong?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dadarkman

Harsh reality of Automation in Live or I'm doin it wrong?

Post by dadarkman » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I just finished my first full project in Ableton Live. In that project of 18 Tracks, 12 of them have different Automation on them and the whole project is done in the Arrangement View, with Clip View totally empty.. Everything seems to be alright until I had to start the mixing process. To mix the song the appropriate way, I gotta bring all faders down to -inf dB. However, as soon as I drag a fader down, The "Back to Arrangement View" button lit up and the Pink line of the Automation turn Brown which make the automation on the track inactive. I'm coming from Pro Tools where, no matter how and what you do with the faders, the automation stays as is. Mind you, I know about the "Back to Arrangement View" button lighting up when the Clip View and Arrangement View have different track placement and Automation, etc...; My clip view has no tracks at all.

So, like I asked in the title of the thread, am I doing something wrong? If so, how you go around to mix a song in Ableton Live properly after applying automation to the tracks? I know I could spend extra hours with the mouse and dragging the Volume automation up and down on the screen but I have the M-Audio Projectmix I/O which makes mixing with hands on the faders so much more easier and enjoyable, I'd rather you use the board any day.

Thanks in advance for replying.

xenomachino1

Re: Harsh reality of Automation in Live or I'm doin it wrong?

Post by xenomachino1 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:58 pm

if its volume automation, you have to drop a "utility" plugin (ableton plugin) at the end on every track you want to automate, and automate the "gain" parameter. Its the only successful way to do so.

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:34 am

Automating gains is the best way but as it's too late for that you will need to use utility gain as main volume now. Or export all tracks and reload them in a new session for mixing. Bit of a shit I know.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

dadarkman

Post by dadarkman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:55 am

kev herb and xenomachino1, thanks both of you for the reply. I'll use the Utility as advice. I hope a better suitable way for mixing comes in Live 9. well, just a hope.

Thanks again!!

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:33 am

dadarkman wrote:kev herb and xenomachino1, thanks both of you for the reply. I'll use the Utility as advice. I hope a better suitable way for mixing comes in Live 9. well, just a hope.

Thanks again!!
for volume automation i found a blank audio effect rack works better. Since an audio effect rack can go to -inf opposed to the utility.

dadarkman

Post by dadarkman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:11 am

kanuck wrote:
dadarkman wrote:kev herb and xenomachino1, thanks both of you for the reply. I'll use the Utility as advice. I hope a better suitable way for mixing comes in Live 9. well, just a hope.

Thanks again!!
for volume automation i found a blank audio effect rack works better. Since an audio effect rack can go to -inf opposed to the utility.
Huhmmm!!! interesting. I'll give that a shot too.
Thanks for the tip.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:54 am

also you can 'group track' on (even a single) track, then work the volume on the 'group' and the automation stays intact....

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:58 am

simmerdown wrote:also you can 'group track' on (even a single) track, then work the volume on the 'group' and the automation stays intact....
nice one
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:32 am

plenty of ways to skin a cat :mrgreen:

mharris

Post by mharris » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:27 am

You should think twice about automating any of the mixer controls (volume, pan, sends etc..) because you run into the exact problem that you describe. Always try to find a work around (e.g automate a Utility plug-in instead) and if you cant then as a last resort, add the mixer automation after you are happy with the mix. This obviously relies on your automation being fairly simple fades / pans and not an integral part of the sound. Any further fine tuning of the automated mix can then be done with the automation lines.

Before I took the time to fully read the manual I used to have this problem quite a lot because I'd use mixer automation to do clip fades and panning. Make sure you read chapter 19 Clip Envelopes in the manual. A lot of the time automation can be avoided all together with clip envelopes.

arafel

Post by arafel » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:05 pm

http://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.htm

Free G - Utility Meter Plug.

Use that for Vol / Pan / etc automation.
Lets you choose dif pan laws (if you need).

Imho - The Back to Arrange issue stems from Live being able to be used 'live' and to improvise (awesome to use Session to rearrange and play an arrangement - or to come up with ideas)... Has great advantages if you use it.. but the disadvantage is you need to avoid it if you dont.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:32 pm

kev herb wrote:plenty of ways to skin a cat :mrgreen:

yeh, can yer Frooty Tools do all those different work-arounds!?

LOL

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:55 pm

cat skinning is so underrated these days... shame really :?

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:14 pm

arafel wrote:http://www.sonalksis.com/freeg.htm

Free G - Utility Meter Plug.

Use that for Vol / Pan / etc automation.
Lets you choose dif pan laws (if you need).
I can no longer recommended this plugin. It used to be a simple download, but no more.

Sonalkis have implemented an absolutely terrible system for distributing their software: to get FreeG you have to install demos of all their plugins & their plugin manager app.

I may have missed something & done this uninstall wrong, but each plugin had to be individually uninstalled, one at a time; which required entering my admin. password for each one! BIG waste of time.

FreeG cannot really be considered "free" after you factor in all the time it takes to get rid of all the other software that is installed in the process. Why not just let me download the ones I am interested in? No thanks Sonalkis.
Last edited by oblique strategies on Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

dadarkman

Post by dadarkman » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:38 pm

simmerdown wrote:also you can 'group track' on (even a single) track, then work the volume on the 'group' and the automation stays intact....
Man, your advice was the one working for me the best in this situation since I already had my tracks grouped anyway. I just never noticed that if you bring the fader of the whole group down, it doesn't mess with the automation. Well, I think moving forward that's the mixing tactic I'll implement on automated tracks.
Thanks a bunch bro!!