what would you say the best classic house sample packs are?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
enthawizeguy

what would you say the best classic house sample packs are?

Post by enthawizeguy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:17 am

I have been getting into a lot of uk funky and more classic house. I am looking for some good sample packs since i do not have a huge knowledge on classic house. I plan on doing research and digging for the music but id like to go ahead and start working on new tunes now. What sample packs would you recommend for classic house samples, either with samples from old records, vocals, one shots, and classic house pianos. Pianos esp. I have written a list of packs i have found but i am wondering which are worth the purchase. has anyone heard the shaman stems, or reimann kollections, or waveform recordings? anyways thanks in advance

- Ian

Re: what would you say the best classic house sample packs are?

Post by 102455 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:08 pm

My advice would be:

If you want to make music that sounds the same/similar to "classic house" then you need to look into
what hardware they were using at the time. Which drum machines, which synths.

That's where the sound of "classic house" comes from.

Roland drum machines such as the TR606 (and TB303 bassline), TR808, TR909 etc.

Yamaha DX7 (FM synth), Roland Juno synths etc.

dylandigits

Post by dylandigits » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Honestly I can't see a strong need to pay for sample packs when it comes to classic house. The sounds are pretty simple (which makes it all the more amazing when they work together to create something memorable). Like 102455 said, the classic machines will get you started, and goodness knows there are plenty of sample packs for the 808, 707, etc floating around the internet. Throw those in impulse or a drum rack and you're ready to make a beat.

As for the pads, basses, and leads, the classic synths can be emulated via plug ins such as u-he Tyrell 6 (http://www.kvraudio.com/db/tyrell_nexus_6_by_u_he) which is free, versatile, and comes with default patches/sounds that will be useful for the classic house sound.

For a quick way to get started with a 303 sound, check out Puremagnetik's Retro Synths Live packs, which I believe are still free to Live users: https://www.ableton.com/shop/more_info? ... ----DL1E--__--

For a classic house piano, check this: http://www.failedmuso.com/blog/?p=431 The classic Korg M1 Piano sounds, which you'll recognize from all sorts of house tracks from that era. Dowload the EXS24 version and import it into Sampler.

If you want to emulate the less-than-clean sound of the late 80s production you could play around with something like Multiband Overdrive (Library->Audio Effects->Audio Effects Rack->Tone and Color->Multiband Overdrive) on the drums. Saturator is your friend, too.

Good luck!

Post by 102455 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Dunno about the Korg M1 - might be a bit late (1988) for the real classic, early House stuff. I reckon the DX7 (1983) and synths
from the early 80s would be more likely. From 1985 onwards, sampled stuff from the Akai S900 would have been prominent too.

xenomachino1

Post by xenomachino1 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:27 am

Todd Terry NYC classic house is great. My favorite

spiritsofts

Post by spiritsofts » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 pm

I decided to write some guidelines on how to make electronic music (although some of the following tips can be applied to other genres as well, not just electronic music) covering such things as this material is required or recommended, what kind of music making software is needed, how to get a blocking various types of electronic music styles, etc. there are many choices in hardware and software, countless ways of doing things in production wise, and that many arguments and different opinions as there are producers. In this article, I try to point you in the right direction in the production of electronic music, muchly based on my own experience.
A little info about myself is that the production of electronic music has been my hobby for a long time for years and I've been creating songs on genres such as trance, downtempo, ambient and experimental. Some of my songs was launched commercially through record labels and has also been used in a film project.

http://spiritsofts.com
online training

milfhuntr

Post by milfhuntr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:50 pm

Vengeance. Check Pirate Bay for the torrent.

Post by 102455 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:20 pm

milfhuntr wrote:Vengeance. Check Pirate Bay for the torrent.
No, because that would be illegal.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:56 pm

i dont really use samples packs for their loops so i cant really give you a critique on them but for one shot instrument sounds and live rack presets i quite like MIDI Focus Soulful House Sounds

trevor loveys new one is good too.

do the artists a favor and head over to loopmasters and buy them. if everyone ripped them off illegally then there would be no point in the artists releasing them
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:07 pm

I do mostly classic soulful house productions. I can tell you that the first thing I would do is look for a real bass player and go from there. I would pay for a good session musician first than spending my money on some sample packs.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:36 pm

FrankieP wrote:I do mostly classic soulful house productions. I can tell you that the first thing I would do is look for a real bass player and go from there. I would pay for a good session musician first than spending my money on some sample packs.
house is such a broad term these days but for the soulful or jackin stuff then i totally agree that live bass cant be beat.

if you're into some of the newer producers like sonny fodera and the house inspectors then you're hearing lots of live bass. sonny plays bass and the hi guys normally get friends in to play
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

enthawizeguy

Post by enthawizeguy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:42 pm

What are the chords. , progressions used for the piano . The waveform packs are good and the 5pin classic house piano pack. I was mostly looking of or that had all the other suggestions already and no need f or new drums but thanks. Ya most sample packs suck and usually I feel weird using them . I just need chords and stabs.

Post by 102455 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:01 pm

enthawizeguy wrote:What are the chords

I just need chords and stabs.
Sounds like you need to learn a little about music theory.

There's no such thing as "chords for house" or "chords for rock" etc.

When I learned, I had to buy books - but now you can find everything online.....

You don't need a huge amount of knowledge, just enough to know about keys and the chords that fit.

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:43 pm

use the "house" preset for the chord plug-in :mrgreen:
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds