NI Komplete or something else?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Breaks Dude

Re: NI Komplete or something else?

Post by Breaks Dude » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:08 pm

I use it ALL!! I love Komplete 8. What a deal! :)

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:30 pm

djadonis206 wrote:Get Komplete. It's not like you have to learn every instrument, today. It's nice always having something new to learn. I'm just getting into Reaktor and loving it. This is while Massive remains a go to synth. And maybe tomorrow I'll be like, what is this FM8?

Plus, there's tons of 3rd party preset packs out there for Absynth and Massive

You can't beat the value
This.

And also if you want some "real instrument" samples, Kontakt libaries are awesome! Already multisampled so you don't need to build your sampler kits every time you want that organ sound.. And they sound really good!

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:33 am

great question

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:07 am

starving student wrote:great question
thanks 8)

concerning abletons simpler: it can load a broad variety of multisample formats from third party companies, so I could create a custom library for it? I`m asking this since I have little knowledge about the different sample formats and their compatibility with certain samplers...

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:11 pm

grunzlaut wrote:
starving student wrote:great question
thanks 8)

concerning abletons simpler: it can load a broad variety of multisample formats from third party companies, so I could create a custom library for it? I`m asking this since I have little knowledge about the different sample formats and their compatibility with certain samplers...
no. I wouldn't count on that..
most don't transfer well.. due to the different nature of each sampler..

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:32 pm

I've heard that if you buy Komplete, you lose the ability to make music, because it contains more things than any single human could browse through in a lifetime.

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:38 pm

3dot... wrote:
grunzlaut wrote:concerning abletons simpler: it can load a broad variety of multisample formats from third party companies, so I could create a custom library for it? I`m asking this since I have little knowledge about the different sample formats and their compatibility with certain samplers...
no. I wouldn't count on that..
most don't transfer well.. due to the different nature of each sampler..
True, if you're after some of the huge multi-sampled libraries Kontakt is the most supported & the way to go. I've also run into certain Kontakt libraries (usually just the ones from NI) that won't even load in Sampler even though the format is supported. NI encrypt a bunch of the sample libraries so that you're forced to use Kontakt.

Kontakt is kind of a prerequisite for the huge multi-sampled "realistic" libraries because most of them come in Kontakt format & were made to be played back with those settings in that plugin. You'll find if you want some of those big collections there is no other choice. But most of them come with Kontakt player anyway if you buy them, so technically you don't need to buy Komplete or Kontakt just to play them back. If you're not arranging complex symphonies, soundtracks, etc that need to be note for note accurate to the real thing, and you're more into making your own custom & unusual sounds from smaller sample sets, Sampler is really good for that.

grunzlaut

Post by grunzlaut » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:08 pm

icedsushi wrote: But most of them come with Kontakt player anyway if you buy them, so technically you don't need to buy Komplete or Kontakt just to play them back. If you're not arranging complex symphonies, soundtracks, etc that need to be note for note accurate to the real thing, and you're more into making your own custom & unusual sounds from smaller sample sets, Sampler is really good for that.
ok, that sounds like sampler is pretty much sufficient for me since I use those "real" instruments to run them through FX-chains, then slice to midi, take out the best bits, rearrange etc. so no need for high accuracy of the original sample 8) .

I think I will get the upgrade to suite, because I can save a lot of money compared to Komplete and still have me satisfied concerning music creation. The saved money I can spend on booze and girls and on ACE since this synth looks like some good, cheap fun, which is, what we all want 8)

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:25 pm

doghouse wrote:BTW most 3rd party sample libraries require the full version of Kontakt, though I've seen a few that will work in Kontakt Player.
You sure about this, most of them? Any specific collections off the top of your head? All the ones I've seen, even some huge orchestra collections just need the Kontakt Player.

Here's an example of a big one that doesn't need the full version of Kontakt:

http://www.projectsam.com

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:52 pm

being in the same situation I just can't help to think for 1 I'm not interested in everything in komplete and for 2 it still seems like a no brainer. like the
op I'm the type that likes to sample and resample everything and it just seems like komplete has so much potential for this kind of thing. I was initially only interested in guitar rig but now, since I own maschine komplete 8 is like $369 bucks, .. seems like I'd regret letting this pass me by, and when i think about those times when you get bored or whatever maybe getting my feet wet with reaktor and absynth might turn out to be something inspiring, it's all going to get mangled in maschine, anyway I've got a few days to decide but it does seem like a hard deal to lose on.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:17 pm

starving student wrote:being in the same situation I just can't help to think for 1 I'm not interested in everything in komplete and for 2 it still seems like a no brainer. like the
op I'm the type that likes to sample and resample everything and it just seems like komplete has so much potential for this kind of thing. I was initially only interested in guitar rig but now, since I own maschine komplete 8 is like $369 bucks, .. seems like I'd regret letting this pass me by, and when i think about those times when you get bored or whatever maybe getting my feet wet with reaktor and absynth might turn out to be something inspiring, it's all going to get mangled in maschine, anyway I've got a few days to decide but it does seem like a hard deal to lose on.
369 for Komplete is insane. Absynth alone used to be that price a few years back.Reaktor used to be more alone. I think Kontakt alone is still close to that. The main reason I have it these days is for Kontakt libraries. Though I do still like love Massive, Absynth, FM8. I don't give Reaktor enough love anymore, that's for sure. And I much prefer Amplitube 3 for realistic amp sounds. It's a good time to get into Komplete. I first bought it for over a grand and have upgraded several time for around 200.
Professional Shark Jumper.

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:23 pm

icedsushi wrote:
doghouse wrote:Any specific collections off the top of your head? All the ones I've seen, even some huge orchestra collections just need the Kontakt Player.
Everything from 8DIO, SoundIron CineSamples and SonicCouture needs full Kontakt for the Kontakt versions. Some have other formats, though. Kontakt requires special handling by Native Instruments to be playable with the free player, which is why some just skip it and require a full version. Huge libraries being available for the free player isn't surprising then, since it's probably worth the extra expense to license :)

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:49 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
starving student wrote:being in the same situation I just can't help to think for 1 I'm not interested in everything in komplete and for 2 it still seems like a no brainer. like the
369 for Komplete is insane. Absynth alone used to be that price a few years back.Reaktor used to be more alone. I think Kontakt alone is still close to that. The main reason I have it these days is for Kontakt libraries. Though I do still like love Massive, Absynth, FM8. I don't give Reaktor enough love anymore, that's for sure. And I much prefer Amplitube 3 for realistic amp sounds. It's a good time to get into Komplete. I first bought it for over a grand and have upgraded several time for around 200.
I've always liked amplitube for realism as well but guitar rig looks like a progressive samplist playground, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:53 pm

is komplete ultimate so much better than komplete 8 ?

and glitch I'm asking your opinion in paticular if you were going to cherry pick together an alternative to komplete 8 what would it look like?

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:24 pm

starving student wrote:is komplete ultimate so much better than komplete 8 ?
I have Komplete 7 and am happy with that for now, but if I were to upgrade I wouldn't get anything less than Ultimate. New compressors, plus their tech integrated into Komplete 5, and the 48GB string library are the main attractions for me. Session Strings Pro and Kontakt 5 upgrade would be about as much as the Ultimate upgrade for me, anyway. The compressors make it a really great deal.

Personally my question would be:"What else to get after Komplete?" :P