Is My Interface Doomed?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alex1fly

Re: Is My Interface Doomed?

Post by alex1fly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:48 pm

This might be a good time to ask - potentially a new thread - what are some solid recording interfaces, a step or two above the Fast Track Pro? I care WAY MORE about vocals than recording instruments. And my styles are Pop, Dance, Hip Hop, RnB - no Rock, Punk, Metal, etc. Home studio, vocal area in the closet, DIY acoustic panels, Audiotechnica condenser mic (lower level), new i7 iMac and Cubase 6.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Those recent Focusrite interfaces seem to be getting good reviews...
http://www.sweetwater.com/c695--Focusri ... Interfaces

Although if you can afford it, I don't think you can go wrong with RME.
ImageImage

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:38 pm

RME is pretty much the one that gets the vote typically; however money is what keeps most of us from having RME equipment.

i have this http://www.tcelectronic.com/Default.asp?Id=13090 and really like it. vocals are my main thing too although i also use it to capture bass and guitar as well.

alex1fly

Post by alex1fly » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:52 pm

login

Post by login » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:04 am

alex1fly wrote:How about the MOTU Traveler

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/2731989573.html

are you on a mac or pc?

There is some rported problems using windows, perfectly stable using mac.

Synthbuilder

Post by Synthbuilder » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:48 am

If it is a hardware issue it is possible that some capacitor has gone bad but it is way more likely to be a poor connector. Try using a different connector to plug into your soundcard.

Try putting a little De-Oxit D5 (or other switch cleaner) on a jack plug and then thrusting it in and out into the input socket. A good shafting may clear it out. 8O Do not squirt the cleaner into the socket.

Another problem with these cheap interfaces is the control pots and switches. They are usually cheap and nasty and they often give the sort of problems you are describing. Cleaning pots requires the unit to be dismantled and careful application of the pot cleaner - De-Oxit Fader Lube isn't too bad. But again if you're too liberal with the stuff it gets everywhere and you'll end up with a mess.

However, as much as I hate to see things thrown away it may be time to upgrade to something more fancy.

Tony

alex1fly

Post by alex1fly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Synthbuilder wrote:If it is a hardware issue it is possible that some capacitor has gone bad but it is way more likely to be a poor connector. Try using a different connector to plug into your soundcard.

Try putting a little De-Oxit D5 (or other switch cleaner) on a jack plug and then thrusting it in and out into the input socket. A good shafting may clear it out. 8O Do not squirt the cleaner into the socket.

Another problem with these cheap interfaces is the control pots and switches. They are usually cheap and nasty and they often give the sort of problems you are describing. Cleaning pots requires the unit to be dismantled and careful application of the pot cleaner - De-Oxit Fader Lube isn't too bad. But again if you're too liberal with the stuff it gets everywhere and you'll end up with a mess.

However, as much as I hate to see things thrown away it may be time to upgrade to something more fancy.

Tony
You have a point here, I think. The last time the Fast Track Pro was being weird, I plugged the mic into the other channel (from channel 2 to channel 1). Viola, works as usual.

But you know, occasionally everything will *seem* fine and then I record a take and its filled with static after the fact. Makes me think, as you mentioned, that it could very well be the cheap-o plastic connectors giving me trouble. Or the pots. Or the capacitors. Damn.

I've taken guitar amps in to have the pots cleaned; maybe those guys can help me clean out my Fast Track Pro pots??

Still leaning pretty heavily towards getting something pro-level (since I'm now getting paid to do this), then trying to salvage the Fast Track Pro and if it works I'll either have a backup or I'll pass it on to a newer producer.