Technics Turntable Recommendations ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
strode420

Re: Technics Turntable Recommendations ?

Post by strode420 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:07 pm

No respectable DJ that still uses vinyl will be happy with anything other than 1200's. MK2, MK3, M3D, M5K or whatever the newest ones are will all be fine. The pitch lock on the MK2's is kind of annoying but i've always owned M3D's (which have a pitch lock button instead - much better imo).

Regardless of whether 1200's win the battle in a blind test or not, they are THE STANDARD, and if your friend is "steeped in the DJ culture" and "in the know" you will most likely hear a VERY LONG SIGH if you give him anything other than 1200's. Used one's are perfectly acceptable though, so long as they have been taking decent care of.
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

login

Post by login » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:30 pm

If you seek an alternative to the Technics the Stanton's st150 are the other regarded higly, built as well as technics and with an stronger motor.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:28 pm

jebus chris, are you trying to get him to buy Technics or something completely different??
lasers and their beams wrote:If Dick Cheney were a turntable he would be a 1200 ... pragmatic, does it's job with aplumb, no fuss, to the degree that you can forget about it. The downside is...
...your Cheney 1200 would use all of your other gear in the background to make huge profits (for himself) while you keep struggling to get by with the basic feature set and foot the bill for upgrades and new gear that you will never get to enjoy...

and it might shoot you while playing out with it. :|

the thread was for a turntable recommendation not how to get the most out of oil and defense contracts.

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:14 pm

They are not all the same as some claimed. The higher models have better wires, pitching from -16 - +16, brake speed adjustment but you will find these informations on the web.
The best of all is for sure the Technics SL-1210 M5G. Get these if you find them.

Cowlash

Post by Cowlash » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:46 pm

DJTIVA wrote:The higher models have better wires
proof of this please?
brake speed adjustment
they all do this under the platter

--- I had the m3d's and sold them due to the pitch fluctuating too much near zero - I have since bought another set of mk2's and they dont have that issue, so not sure about people saying there is a problem with them? there is also a simple mod to remove the click on the pitch slider in case anyone was interested

I also had the mk5's for a while too. I didnt see the point in being able to pitch them up that far as it degrades the music so much after 4% anyway it seemed pointless having the option *shrugs*

With digital files and shit warping / pitch lock / master tempo algorithms, who wants to destroy the sound even more? Or play real records and make them sound like the chipmunks?

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:51 pm

Cowlash wrote:With digital files and shit warping / pitch lock / master tempo algorithms, who wants to destroy the sound even more? Or play real records and make them sound like the chipmunks?
Not to be pedantic, but destroying sound is actually a thing I would like to do, in addition to playing very nice sound.

Very fast or very slow records are great for special effects, and I'd love to use that kind of technique in my own music.

o0o

Post by o0o » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:47 pm

thanks for every tip and technics edu. now what is the next best thing for this type of dj?
rabbit

djfeedme

Post by djfeedme » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Vestax also makes great scratch turntables. I have had a set of pdx-2000 turntables for about 8 years and they work perfectly. I have used them as my travel turntables.

I have a set of Technics 1200 mk-5 turntables as well sitting at home. They never leave the house. I also have owned these for about 8 years or so. Not sure exactly when I bought them.

I love both sets and have never had any problems with either. (i did replace the rca cables that came with my vestax turntables but that was a self fix because the cables plug right in to the side of the deck. Rather than in a Technics table where the cables are wired internally.

I have also played on the Numark TTXs and they seemed to work very well and be responsive and all that.

All of these turntables would prove useful to a scratch DJ.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:53 pm

Back to the Future post! 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 pm

o0o wrote:thanks for every tip and technics edu. now what is the next best thing for this type of dj?
Like me and the other guy said, the Stanton 150's, either model. They are the "industry standard alternatives to 1200's", lol

STRATEGY

dhilsabeck

Post by dhilsabeck » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:17 am

I labored over this same question until a turntablist dj friend of mine earnestly advised me to stop fucking around and go with a 1200. I ended up getting a very used MK2 and couldn't be happier. There's something magical about it. And the whole pitch lock thing doesn't bother me at all.

strode420 wrote: Regardless of whether 1200's win the battle in a blind test or not, they are THE STANDARD, and if your friend is "steeped in the DJ culture" and "in the know" you will most likely hear a VERY LONG SIGH if you give him anything other than 1200's..