? Your Thoughts on the Octatrack creating complete songs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

? Your Thoughts on the Octatrack creating complete songs

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:05 pm

complete tracks on the octatrack, from experimental to traditional stringing together of parts and parts of differing tempos?
how many of you have wrapped your head around this sampler, and in laymens terms (mpc terms haha) what do you get with this
sampler?

starving student

Re: ? Your Thoughts on the Octatrack creating complete songs

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:52 pm

sad to say it but I really wish some of the dems i've seen would use some organic music with some dynamics that you could latch onto internally to help with the learning process, most of the clips I'm seeing are using music that you'd think doesn't really need to be sampled in the first place, you know samplers are machines but sample based music is best made by sampling music that doesn't sound like it came out of a machine (my opinion)
anyway if the octatrack was half the price it is I'd have it already I'm very much intrigued.

fav clip so far is this naturally :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLK62viqPfQ

but again c'mon man sample something else for petes fucking sake

aikighost

Post by aikighost » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:04 pm

I have the octa and find it to be very inspirational, but if you wan to do "straight" hip hop or pretty much any standard genre of music you might find that something like an MPC or NI Maschine will serve you better. I love the octa but its best for experimentation and remixing of beats you made from elsewhere IMHO. Personally I use it in conjunction with a machinedrum and a korg Er1 soon I'll b adding a DSI tempest to the mix.
http://TechnoMusicNews.com/ - Techno news & mixes

Send me a decent techno or minimal mix and I guarantee a decent number of listens.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:13 pm

but experimental is just what i'm after, just not at the loss/cost of being able to do something simple, like in that clip I posted I'd like to be able to do the same thing with a degree of control. I'd love to hear someone do a demo with one of marvin gayes old songs like what's going on or something, without speeding it up to some drum n bass or destorting it to all hell, I'd just like to see what kind of real capabilities it has outside of the chaos realm and calling that experimental. They claim its a live remixing tool, but most of what I hear is just stuff that sounds like your average thrash punk
band.....which is not a bad thing for a punk band, but I'd like to hear some more indepth sampling from this machine.
Last edited by starving student on Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:22 pm

I made this vid after having OT for a week, really fun as a remixer and super deep. This isn't rocket science remixing but just a quick workout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXYLNqYX6Kw

I think you can totally do a full track in it, I've done a few just as an experiment to learn more about the machine. I only recently figured out the arranger in it as well which is sort of a "follow actions" concept. All in all It's pretty deep and is bending my mind on a regular basis.
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:54 am

thanks nep I think yours is the only fuckin clip like that on all of youtube.

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:44 pm

haha yeah it's either bad house or noise mashups. so weird when you can do so much more with it.
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:16 pm

made another vid, this one doing a live remix of Prefuse 73 w the OT and Maschine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbiS33uVx9Y

I've had no luck syncing it with Ableton though, if i feed midi to abletons ext the clock goes completely beserk...works like a charm w Maschine though. Anyone syncing from OT to Ableton?
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK