insane activation policy

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aklisiewicz

insane activation policy

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:56 pm

I just want to publicly share my opinion about ABLETON activation policy which the most anoying I have evr seen, and I really want it to change. Recantly I had to remove a suer from my Windows/XP (due to the problems with running some software under particular account). I'm still the only one person to use this computer.
After recreating my Windows account all of the sudden I've lost my license and activation data. It is a weekend now and I new to use the software. Obviously I cannot because this stupid program refuses to run asking me for activation.
The way it works is a nonsense and I really hate it. I also cannot find any way or uninstalling the license and moving software to another computer, as well as uninstalling it and re-applying when I reinstall my OS. This is very very frustrating and I want Ableton to change this in the future.
I hope that other people will share this frustration and ask the company to change it!

NOTE TO THE ADLETON:
ABLETON please change you activation and licensing procedures!

Arthur
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

Re: insane activation policy

Post by 102455 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:12 pm

Sounds to me like what's happened is your own fault.

If you registered Live when you were logged in under the user name that you deleted, Live is registered to that user.

You do realise that you're entitled to install two copies under the EULA?

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:48 pm

Contact Ableton support. If you're a paid, registered user (I'm not saying you're not), there should be no problem in getting your license up and running again.

Also, yes, you're allowed to authorize Live on two machines, but I think you're only allowed to run one license at a time. I think the thought process is one license for your studio, one license for a live performance setup. However, you can install Live on as many machines as you want, and the demo will do everything but save. Have you considered doing the 30-day trial? That would get you through until the Abes reactivate you.

aklisiewicz

Post by aklisiewicz » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:52 pm

I know I can reactivate as I already have done this, but the idea of storing activation data under certain user account is stupid! I delete a user and I loose activation. With Ableton it takes time the reset the counter. Even if it is 1-2 days it still prevents me from working that same day after recreating a user.

If the activation data (or even rather Application data is stored in Live's folder it would probably never happen.
Microsoft idea of creating user folders like C:\DocumentsAnd Setting was very bad as well... then some programers followed that wrong path to use those folders to store the ApplicationData in there. There should be a folder called ApplicationData but created somewhere else independent of the user settings, so changes in user settings would not affect global application settings.

Arthur
"You are what you think you are"
Sadarahu

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:30 am

you might be on your own here arthur, what method would you like ableton to use?

i really dont see the problem. log-in and activate...simple. when you reach your last activation, live asks you to email support for more, it really couldn't be easier. if you've used your last activation and then email support immediately, the new activations are ready for whenever you next need it

i much prefer abletons method versus using an ilok or something similar
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

c33

Post by c33 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 am

requiring iLok is an insane activation policy

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:13 am

it's a workable policy, when I've had new installs they were always fast to update/increase my authorizations, and bottom line is THERE IS NO DONGLE. As a Cubase user, I can't emphasize enough how much I prefer ableton's policy over the existence of a fucking dongle, which serves no functional purpose other than punishing those who actually paid.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

login

Post by login » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:27 am

Install for all users under the administrator account?

freerobby

Post by freerobby » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:13 am

I've had no issues with Ableton's activation procedure, but I empathize generally with aklisiewicz.

The problem I have with DRM is that it punishes those who go the legal/honest route. We paid hundreds for Ableton licenses, and as a result, we are the ones who will suffer the authorization pains when things go wrong. Meanwhile those who download cracked versions on torrent sites don't have to bother with any of that hassle. Perfect example: the Sibelius 5 licensing system broke when Lion came out, and until a work-around was posted, those of us with legal copies who upgraded to Lion were stranded. I remember being tempted to download an illicit copy just so I could use software I'd bought legally!

Additionally, while I understand why companies use DRM, I am skeptical that it causes more people to buy the software. I haven't seen any hard data that makes that case, and in fact in the ebooks world there is some evidence of the opposite. I read that O'Reilly Media's non-DRMed direct sales have outpaced their Kindle DRMed equivalents.

c33

Post by c33 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:33 am

mholloway wrote:it's a workable policy, when I've had new installs they were always fast to update/increase my authorizations, and bottom line is THERE IS NO DONGLE. As a Cubase user, I can't emphasize enough how much I prefer ableton's policy over the existence of a fucking dongle, which serves no functional purpose other than punishing those who actually paid.

-M
Completely agree.
freerobby wrote:Meanwhile those who download cracked versions on torrent sites don't have to bother with any of that hassle.
I don't know.. piracy can come with its own set of hassles too. If something goes all buggy and crazy and I need support.. well.. I guess there's this forum, etc.. but I could also be screwed. I really care about the music I'm trying to make, and I would hate always having to worry and wonder if today would be the day Ableton might stopping working because they figured out I stole it.

pr0jekt2501

Post by pr0jekt2501 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:35 am

freerobby wrote:The problem I have with DRM is that it punishes those who go the legal/honest route. We paid hundreds for Ableton licenses, and as a result, we are the ones who will suffer the authorization pains when things go wrong. Meanwhile those who download cracked versions on torrent sites don't have to bother with any of that hassle. Perfect example: the Sibelius 5 licensing system broke when Lion came out, and until a work-around was posted, those of us with legal copies who upgraded to Lion were stranded. I remember being tempted to download an illicit copy just so I could use software I'd bought legally!

Additionally, while I understand why companies use DRM, I am skeptical that it causes more people to buy the software. I haven't seen any hard data that makes that case, and in fact in the ebooks world there is some evidence of the opposite. I read that O'Reilly Media's non-DRMed direct sales have outpaced their Kindle DRMed equivalents.
Totally agree.

I've had to request unlocks a couple of times. Its a quick response, within 48 hours, but why do I have to do this ? It would be quicker to download a pirate copy ...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:40 am

C&R activation sucks. It's a matter of course. No need to confirm bro. We already knew it.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:48 am

login wrote:Install for all users under the administrator account?
+1

Since the OP says he's the only one who uses the computer anyway... :?

Pyro Z

Post by Pyro Z » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:45 am

I agree with everyone else here saying that you've got a simple solution in front of you.

The free trial is the full software for 30 days, then afterwards everything except save & export. Super awesome, liberal policy. And for us paid users, it's more of the same. I have needed more unlocks many times before and Ableton has provided a ridiculous amount of them to me, never asking for more money. If you looked at their systems you could easily assume I am running a fleet of Live PCs. But I'm not, because I respect them on account of things exactly like this.

Get in touch with Ableton and I suspect you will gain the same kind of attitude.
There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth sucks!

freerobby

Post by freerobby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:22 am

c33 wrote:
freerobby wrote:Meanwhile those who download cracked versions on torrent sites don't have to bother with any of that hassle.
I don't know.. piracy can come with its own set of hassles too. If something goes all buggy and crazy and I need support.. well.. I guess there's this forum, etc.. but I could also be screwed. I really care about the music I'm trying to make, and I would hate always having to worry and wonder if today would be the day Ableton might stopping working because they figured out I stole it.
To be clear, I am by no means advocating piracy. I think peace of mind is a very logical reason to pony up cash for something. I'm a paying Ableton customer and a very happy one at that. Ableton's support has been great. But specifically in terms of DRM, I think legitimate users will always get hassled by DRM (for legitimate reasons - uninstalls/reinstalls, hardware upgrades) way, way, way, way, way more often than illegitimate users with cracked versions will. I say that with respect to DRM at large, not with specific reference to Ableton's implementation of it.