let us have avatars in the forum!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

let us have avatars in the forum!!!

Post by AdamJay » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:17 am

it would definitely liven things up don't you think?
and if ableton doesn't want to foot the server space for the small user avatars, they can set it up to link to the avatar images from user's own websites. this is what the osxaudio.com forum does.

it just seems a bit sterile in here don't you think?

pleeeeeease?

LiveLong

Post by LiveLong » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:30 am

It would be very nice.
It is a little "Pharmacy"ish now. What about some board skins :lol:?

iskandar

Post by iskandar » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:43 am

yea im with adam on this one... maybe a board interface similar to live .. lol

LiveLong

Post by LiveLong » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:47 am

iskandar wrote:yea im with adam on this one... maybe a board interface similar to live .. lol
Yeah, so we can warp and quantize some messages...or filter, some posts could benefit... :wink:

jamief

Post by jamief » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:27 am

:D :D :D

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:16 pm

Sorry, I'm going to have to disagree here. I actually like the fact that the forum is clean and aesthetic, and I don't have to see 50 animated gif's of spiderman dancing on every thread. ;)

conny

Post by conny » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:21 pm

Yes, I'm disagreeing too.
Would much more like Live sets posted then have the space cluttered with graphics and stuff that would just slow down the browsing of the threads.
// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

ekko

Post by ekko » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:46 pm

Count me as a "nay" too.

On many forums the Avatars get x-rated rather quickly, plus seeing a dozen giant pics ruining the formatting of the forum and taking up all the screen space makes it hard to slip in here during the workday. 8)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:50 pm

This whole forum needs a make over. Ableton is getting to big to discuss it only in 4 different sections. And the users are getting too lazy to use the forum properly.
The search function sucks and nobody ever bothers to read the FAQ (or the manual in some cases)

This forum needs a more futuristic touch. But it has to he easy and wel thought of like Live is.
If people get tired of answering the same questions over and over (that includes people at Ableton), they might become a bit stressed out about it. Or don't even bother to reply at all.
If we would have a list of all of those questions answered in a extended FAQ that keeps getting updated. Well, it would be more fun.
Why? Well, if somebody asks something that isn't in that FAQ. We could say something to ourselves like "damn, how come i didn't think of that". :)

The forum itself could use some more interactivity with the Ableton website in general.
Like posting of music shouldn't have to be done in a dissapearing thread.
The point of this whole application evolves around music. So it doesn't make sense you have to look for it.

And patches + samples for instruments and effects. A Library full of tips and tricks.
More lessons, video's and tutorials. A section for people to chat would be nice too.
Ideas evolve quicker and friends are made. It's one thing to be in a chatroom full of teens and elderly men.
It's another thing to chat with a lot of creative people with a common goal towards music.

Well, it's not my job to sort this all out. I do agree that the forum is nice now because of it's simplicity. But it's in a decaying state. Because Ableton will get bigger and bigger............

just my 0.02€

conny

Post by conny » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:57 pm

A better organized forum is needed, yes.
I have now begun to set up my own link storage to be able to keep track of issues that interest me. Now they are already to pages back after one day because mainly of the overuse of the general forum (I am an overuser myself, honestly.)
// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

stallos

Post by stallos » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:42 pm

I think Hoffman's idea of an extended FAQ is a good one especially given the search functions are totally inadequate (I know this isnt Abletons fault). I think you will always get people posting before they have thought things through so "RTFM" might be replaced with "RTF-FAQ" though!

Its obvious some people need to be spoon fed information instead of picking up the manual or reading the tips section.

I posted a thread recently about a problem I was having with a MIDI controller, I expected one of the many enthusiasts here to give me "yes you can do it" or "no you cant" explanation. Instead the post slipped down off the board with posts like can I use Live for Mp3 playback or the hoards of other posts that could be answered by a quick visit to the manual. Whats funny is that the manual is available on-line. It would be less effort to have a look than to post and hang on for a reply!

Slightly off-topic there..
With regards to avatars I'm in the 'no' camp too. I like the less cluttered look to these boards. The page loads nice and quick compared to other boards. I'm sure there would be some sort of impact on this with the introduction of avatars. While no doubt some would use avatars constructively I think a lot of other people wouldnt and frankly I can do without a load of self promoting "I am king of trance" type graphics.

I like the anonimity of this board, I guess some people want to make a bigger splash than me - but really the time would be better spent programming operator/impulse/simpler :wink:

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:51 pm

stallos wrote:I think Hoffman's idea of an extended FAQ is a good one especially given the search functions are totally inadequate (I know this isnt Abletons fault). I think you will always get people posting before they have thought things through so "RTFM" might be replaced with "RTF-FAQ" though!
In my experience on the internet, fools who come into forums asking obvious questions will generally do so regardless of the presence of a FAQ. But you're right; at least it would give us something different to say to them. ;)

I think at a very minimum, the ableton forums need to be better moderated, as many people have voiced over time. Clearly, the ableton's don't have time to do this, so why don't they grant moderator privileges to the most respected regulars?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:59 pm

ekko wrote:Count me as a "nay" too.

On many forums the Avatars get x-rated rather quickly, plus seeing a dozen giant pics ruining the formatting of the forum and taking up all the screen space makes it hard to slip in here during the workday. 8)
it wouldn't ruin the formatting. most forum managers can allow only certain size pics, or if using linked avatar pics it can resize them. 60x60 pixels would be great actually. just beneath the user name on the left side of a post.

and it would mean less people putting giant pics in their signatures because they wouldn't have to.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:06 pm

Count me for 1 more "No" vote. Clean and simple...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:42 pm

This is a place for people to discuss the ins and outs of a complicated piece of audio software. Not a forum for school kids to discuss the latest Britney Spears pop tune.

I think we can manage without spangly avatars :lol: