Sampler - Change the pitch without changing the tempo...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gdvoldre

Sampler - Change the pitch without changing the tempo...

Post by gdvoldre » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:43 pm

I would like to see the Ableton developers add this function to Sampler similar to MPC. That is take an audio sample with vocals and change the pitch without changing the tempo automatically up and down the keys. When I use a sample now the higher I go up on the keys the faster the sample plays and vice versa. The lower I go on the keys the slower the sample plays. It would be very nice if that was optional...

Mage2k

Re: Sampler - Change the pitch without changing the tempo...

Post by Mage2k » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Try slapping a grain delay behind the Sampler, set the delay to the smallest setting (1ms, I think), and tweak the frequency to taste.

regretfullySaid

Post by regretfullySaid » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:18 pm

Yes, it would be nice, and should be expected. The main workaround is making a tiny loop section at the beginning of the sample (turn on Loop, and probably crossfade), and going into the modulation window to the 2nd LFO. Change the waveform to Ramp, turn on Sync, then change the LFO time to 1 bar, or 2, or 4, depending...

Although, for better quality of playing your sample (so it doesn't sound choppy) is by midi mapping your keyboard to the clip. You can either use 2 keys or 3 to set the range of notes on the keyboard. If you use 3 keys, the 1st key is the root note. I usually hold down the 1st key at middle c, the 2nd key an octave down, and the 3rd key an octave higher.

If you go to the Launch section of the Clip settings and turn on Legato, this stops the clip from starting at the beginning every time you press a key. Like if you're using a vocal sample, you can play it on the keyboard like you're auto-tuning it. The drawback to this is playing the sample is monophonic, as opposed to playing it on the sampler where you can plays chords.
ImageImage

Radio Arcade

Post by Radio Arcade » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:34 am

I thought this was one of the benefits Sampler had over Simpler???

I bought Sampler a few months back - havent had the time to use it yet but this was one of my reasons! DoH!
Music Makes You Lose KoNtRoL!

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:56 am

Radio Arcade wrote:I thought this was one of the benefits Sampler had over Simpler???

I bought Sampler a few months back - havent had the time to use it yet but this was one of my reasons! DoH!
You didn't need that feature because you haven't realized it until now. Ignorance is bliss.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:02 am

Do a search for timestretch in sampler.

I've been requesting this for over 5 years (however long sampler has been out actually). It's a popular request.

What has always bugged me is that impulse has always had a sample length parameter which doesn't change pitch. And of course the whole program is built around time and pitch being able to be changed independently in clips. I just can't understand why time and pitch can't be separately controlled in sampler too. All other major samplers have it.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Radio Arcade

Post by Radio Arcade » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:34 am

pencilrocket wrote:
Radio Arcade wrote:I thought this was one of the benefits Sampler had over Simpler???

You didn't need that feature because you haven't realized it until now. Ignorance is bliss.

Yeah because I havent had time to use it yet ^^^^ ; )

Trust me - it would have been the first thing i noticed :D
Music Makes You Lose KoNtRoL!

fall 79

Post by fall 79 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:36 am

Just use sampletank free, you can do it with this device.
Just use Timestretching/pitchshift mode.
Sometimes, it's good to use third party plug-ins :wink: