Using Absynth3 as an Insert Effect

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wildcon

Using Absynth3 as an Insert Effect

Post by wildcon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:34 pm

Hi,

I am trying to use Absynth3 as an insert effect to process a vocal track.

I insert as any normal effect (there is a seperate 'effect' instance of Absynth in the plug in directory).

The input from the vocal is showing in Absynth, but I get no output.

Anyone know how to set this up.

I presume the likes of Reaktor and FM7 can be used in the same way.

Thanks
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:35 pm

You have to send a midi note message to the plugin, and then set the oscillators (one or more) to audio in.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:38 pm

Amberience,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain what you mean by 'sending a midi note message' and how to do this on a Audio track
MacBook Pro, Mojave, Live 10, Logic Pro X, UAD Apollo & Satellites, UAD, NI Komplete, Izotope, Korg, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves plugs.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:55 pm

wildcon wrote:Amberience,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you explain what you mean by 'sending a midi note message' and how to do this on a Audio track
the best you're going to get is an instrumental accompaniment to the vocal melody.

It sounds like you want to drop this effect into your track and apply it realtime (like a chorus or reverb) but the effect needs midi note data to drive it. To get that data, you will need to convert your vocal into midi notes, which means you need to do an audio to midi conversion in realtime, for which there is no solidly reliable ability at this time within Live (maybe future let's hope but it may be impossible due to conversion latency issues).

There are audio to midi plugins that will write to a file, and then you can take that output and put it into a MIDI track, but understand that these basically produce synth-like notes. If it works well, the melody will follow the melody of what's being sung, and if it doesn't work well will be kind of like the melody with little bleeps and wild notes when the algorithm couldn't figure out what the frequency value was, but the best you're going to get is an instrumental accompaniment to the vocal melody.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

parma

Re: Using Absynth3 as an Insert Effect

Post by parma » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:05 pm

wildcon wrote:Hi,

I am trying to use Absynth3 as an insert effect to process a vocal track.

I insert as any normal effect (there is a seperate 'effect' instance of Absynth in the plug in directory).

The input from the vocal is showing in Absynth, but I get no output.

Anyone know how to set this up.

I presume the likes of Reaktor and FM7 can be used in the same way.

Thanks
First off, set one of the oscillators to audio in (which I think you already did). Secondly, go to the "main" page and click on one of the keys with HOLD active. This is the midi note data Amberience was talking about.

Hope this helps

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:42 pm

the whole point of the midi note on is so that you can route external audio through envelope-controlled effects. This is an extremely powerful feature, and not using envelopes with absynth is like not using ableton live in realtime

So do yourself a favour, load up the absynth3fx plugin on an audio channel, set up a midi track to route midi to the plugin, add some 4th notes or something, and load your favourite absynth patch. Set an oscillator to Audio IN and listen...

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:00 pm

Set an oscillator to Audio IN and listen...
:) and don't listen to me, I don't own this plugin :)
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:09 pm

this is great.
can't wait to try this when I get home.