8.2.7 is go......

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Sibanger

Re: 8.2.7 is go......

Post by Sibanger » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:28 am

Every time I close a set, I'm getting the 'A serious program error has occured.Live will shut down after this message box is closed'........ :x

I'll go back to 8.6 for now.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:02 am

I rest my case

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:47 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:It's so weird, sometimes I will download a new version and it will be solid, and I go on the forums and people are saying how much it's crashing. Other times I download the latest and it's crashing right away and people on the forum are saying it's the best version yet.

Granted there are a lot of variables between different users, but DANG.

So far so good on the latest version though.
It seems that the developers also doesn't know what they are patching and what fundamentally causes these crushes. :?

atlatnesiti

Post by atlatnesiti » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:59 am

pencilrocket wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote: It seems that the developers also doesn't know what they are patching and what fundamentally causes these crushes. :?
It seems that we are in permanent beta mode... :(
What gives Ableton?! Releasing so called latest update without 1 only fix available in beta on the same day?!
It is a joke...
iMac i7 Quad Core 2.8GHz 32GB RAM • OS X.10 • Apogee Duet • NI Kontrol S49 • Maschine Mikro MKII • Cubase 8.5 • Live 9.6 Suite • Logic Pro X • Reason 9 • WaveLab Elements 9 • Various VST's, AU's and hardware synths, etc;

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:20 pm

The real joke is the reactions towards anything Ableton does.
Not enough bugfixes... People complain.
The biggest bugfixing effort to ensure Live is stable to perform with... People complain.
At least with what they're doing now, everybody wins in the end.

Also worthy to note, Live 8.2.8 enables people to permanently help improve Live, by letting it log all the bugs you run into.
Before anybody goes into their "I didn't buy Live to be a beta tester" rants, its probably worth examining how bug reports are handled now.
The Status and crash report pack can capture those weird bugs that only happen sometimes and are hard to describe and capture everything you did leading up to that bug. The Status pack can be created right after the bug happened by using "Get Support" from the menu.

If you make some slight effort to describe what they need to look for in those packs, the fix can be in a next beta in a matter of weeks.
The only reason I really bother repeating the above every now and then, is because Ableton damn near fixed everything I reported in the past 7 years. My outstanding bugs are in the realm of automap and undo handling in MFL. And I really really loath the Limiter that is hardwired into Collision.
But crashes are something I haven't had for a long while now. Not even with MFL in the mix.
New bugs always pop up. Its the same with software and hardware. Especially hardware that gets software updates. Look into how you need to fix a Moog Little Phatty when the firmware update goes wrong...

TheDriller

Post by TheDriller » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:06 pm

I think we just need to be patient and reserve judgement for when Live 9 actually arrives.

There is no doubt that Live 8 has gotten better and better over the past year, at least in terms of stability.
My guess, as a software development student, is that the Live codebase was/is in a sorry state after years of rushed, tacked-on features being implemented on an annual basis. I presume the developers are hard at work refactoring the code base to be much easier to work with and for that I applaud them.

Arguably it should never have gotten to this point but we must remember that Live is quite old and a lot of the development methodologies we take for granted today were not necessarily mainstream when Live was in early development.

If Live 9 comes around and it's still a bloated, bug-ridden clusterfuck then yeah, we can be mad then. Until that time we should consider that developing complex software is inherently difficult work and the Ableton team is actually doing a pretty good job of it.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:26 pm

hoffman2k wrote:The real joke is the reactions towards anything Ableton does.
The biggest bugfixing effort to ensure Live is stable to perform with... People complain.

Also worthy to note, Live 8.2.8 enables people to permanently help improve Live, by letting it log all the bugs you run into.
Before anybody goes into their "I didn't buy Live to be a beta tester" rants, its probably worth examining how bug reports are handled now.
The Status and crash report pack can capture those weird bugs that only happen sometimes and are hard to describe and capture everything you did leading up to that bug. The Status pack can be created right after the bug happened by using "Get Support" from the menu.

If you make some slight effort to describe what they need to look for in those packs, the fix can be in a next beta in a matter of weeks.
The only reason I really bother repeating the above every now and then, is because Ableton damn near fixed everything I reported in the past 7 years. My outstanding bugs are in the realm of automap and undo handling in MFL. And I really really loath the Limiter that is hardwired into Collision.
But crashes are something I haven't had for a long while now. Not even with MFL in the mix.
New bugs always pop up. Its the same with software and hardware. Especially hardware that gets software updates. Look into how you need to fix a Moog Little Phatty when the firmware update goes wrong...

i've yet to get a reply for any bugpack i've posted.
well, save for the automatic response saying that they have collected my bug.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:32 pm

friend_kami wrote:

did you send it to crashes@ableton or support@ableton ?
afaik you get replies only from 'support' ..

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:17 pm

atlatnesiti wrote:
pencilrocket wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote: It seems that the developers also doesn't know what they are patching and what fundamentally causes these crushes. :?
It seems that we are in permanent beta mode... :(
What gives Ableton?! Releasing so called latest update without 1 only fix available in beta on the same day?!
It is a joke...
Please dont miss quote me, especially with pencilrockets words.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:41 pm

3dot... wrote:
friend_kami wrote:

did you send it to crashes@ableton or support@ableton ?
i'm sending it to whatever email adress the bugreport window in live is telling me to send it too; can't remember which of them it is, but you would assume that if the software is asking you to send it address X, then address X would be the right one..?

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:26 pm

friend_kami wrote:
3dot... wrote: did you send it to crashes@ableton or support@ableton ?
i'm sending it to whatever email adress the bugreport window in live is telling me to send it too; can't remember which of them it is, but you would assume that if the software is asking you to send it address X, then address X would be the right one..?
Well it is the correct one to report bugs but you don't receive answers from crashes@ableton.com.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

rdevries

Post by rdevries » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:25 am

Sibanger wrote:Every time I close a set, I'm getting the 'A serious program error has occured.Live will shut down after this message box is closed'........ :x

I'll go back to 8.6 for now.
I was told this is because RAM usage is too high.

First time I loaded a set in 8.2.7 it crashed, I'll stick with 8.2.6

urk aka boombleep

Post by urk aka boombleep » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:16 pm

8.2.7 fixed a HUGE and very annoying bug with my Launchpad and Fast Track Pro under Win7 64.
Always had great answers from both Ableton & Novation supports, thank you so much !
[-o-] Bass Music livesets from Paris ! ==> http://www.soundcloud.com/boombleep [-o-]

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:36 am

I realize nowadays that most of my crashes were due to a to big Live set (around 2.5 gigs of RAM) and a plugin that needed to be updated. Since then, no crashes. Still a few bugs, but nothing scary.

for example: in Arrangement view, on the master track, click on mixer then song tempo. Now double click on the tempo line so you create a node. the tempo goes from 120 to 120.xx, now Cmd-Z to undo and double click again to create another node, now your tempo stays at 120.00. Weird, hey? Does that to me every single time.
MBP 2015, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6
Live 9.7.6 Suite
Live 10.1.14 Suite
Soundcards : FF800, Apollo Twin duo

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:55 am

so i just reinstalled my operating system, and directly after that i installed live. the current beta, then.

well, dropping a live device (native plugin), a thirdparty plugin takes 20-30 seconds, and during this time the ive window goes into a temporary (Not Responding) state.

good work ableton.