Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dylandigits

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by dylandigits » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:43 am

I'm under the impression that Rewire still only works in one direction with Logic as well as Mainstage. Can anyone who downloaded Mainstage verify this? Because I'd love to slave the various Logic instruments to Live without resorting to third-party audio routing (e.g. Soundflower), but that wasn't a possibility when I gave Logic a try in 2010 and I assume it's still the case.

barryalva

Post by barryalva » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:33 am

Last edited by barryalva on Thu May 24, 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:38 am

My prediction:

Logic X drops in a month, no upgrade path, cue huge internet consternation. Just saying.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:48 am

dazzer wrote:My prediction:

Logic X drops in a month, no upgrade path, cue huge internet consternation. Just saying.
has anybody called them and asked this very question, I'd be interested in what they had to say

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:58 am

^ I would have thought that's it's pretty much guaranteed that there'll be no upgrade price.

As for calling Apple and asking them...lol...but yea, I'd be interested too.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:13 am

Hmm? the trend continues in the software industry of new users getting a killer deal whereas existing customers are slowly paying more.
So far it looks like there will be no upgrade price, so when the last of the Studio boxes go it will be $199 for Logic X and another $30 for Mainstage 3.
This is a loss leader not just to buy "hardware".

Does Logic 'download' Include Wave Burner? The word is no Soundtrack Pro anymore.... :|

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:13 am

So if theres no upgrade price ... then its not a reason to upgrade with Logic but rather spend that money on something else LOL
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

esky

Post by esky » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:26 am

There is also a new Logic update 9.1.6 with a long bugfixes/improvment list...

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:27 am

Machinesworking wrote:..
Does Logic 'download' Include Wave Burner? The word is no Soundtrack Pro anymore.... :|
breaking it up makes a lot of sense to me.... people who had FCP already had Soundtrack

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:19 am

Forge. wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:..
breaking it up makes a lot of sense to me.... people who had FCP already had Soundtrack
Breaking it up doesn't seem to be the case, more like no longer supported. Did the download to FCP-X include Soundtrack Pro?
because if it did not, Apple did away with it much the same zero conversation with the consumer way they ditched SoundDiver. :cry:

rozling

Post by rozling » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 am

Machinesworking wrote:Hmm? the trend continues in the software industry of new users getting a killer deal whereas existing customers are slowly paying more.
So far it looks like there will be no upgrade price, so when the last of the Studio boxes go it will be $199 for Logic X and another $30 for Mainstage 3.
This is a loss leader not just to buy "hardware".

Logic 8 owner here. I've been holding out on the $200 upgrade because I figured Logic X would be out this autumn & I'd get more value for money. This doesn't really change anything for me, but if I'd bought recently I'd be pissed.

I'm starting to realise that this is the reality of being a music software consumer. Apart from the odd exception (I feel Camel Audio are good with this) there's no reward for loyalty. If you want to stay current you'll always pay through the nose. My way of mitigating it has been to upgrade every other or every third release cycle (it helps that I'm making less music nowadays).

This is going way OT, but I've been watching a lot of Mad Men lately & they made an interesting observation about marketing to smokers which I think echoes this. Basically it was that the existing smokers have already chosen their brand and so are pretty much a lost cause from a marketing perspective. So marketing should be focused on getting new business (new users). Basically give away the product to get them on board, and make the real money off the fact that they are now locked into the cycle.

The sad thing IMHO is that for this reason whiz-bang features will always drive upgrade feature lists, while useability gets pushed aside. If some DAW makers really committed to useability - i.e. focusing on the 'flow' part of the 'workflow' - their existing customer loyalty would go through the roof and people wouldn't be having second thoughts about upgrading.

I'm always surprised there aren't more crossgrade deals going on like the Finale -v- Sibelius thing. Maybe software houses feel users will always be polygamous?

Anyway, it's going to get interesting when Logic becomes Garageband Pro :mrgreen: somehow I feel DAW users will be slightly less polite about it than the Pro Video guys were about Final Cut...

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:32 am

holy fuck... that was too easy! 8O

I just opened app store, clicked on Logic 9, clicked "Buy App" and entered my password and now it's downloading. 8O

I think I can probably persuade me baby muvva ex to go halves, but it's friday night here and beers and bifters were involved.

Is this immoral of them to make it so easy for people to buy? I'm going to have to make sure I use it now.

That means I will no longer be using Live for certain things - like Mixing, and probably arranging! 8O

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:59 pm

Since Logic and Live have a lot of the same functionality, can someone point out what Logic has/does that Live doesn't? and also what does it do better than Live?

STRATEGY

puzzlefactory

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:34 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:Since Logic and Live have a lot of the same functionality, can someone point out what Logic has/does that Live doesn't? and also what does it do better than Live?

STRATEGY
It's just a good all rounder really. It does midi editing well (really well) it does audio editing well, it does tracking well and it's got some great bundled pluggin effects and instruments (although in truth, the instruments could do with a bit of an update).

Also, it's been around donkeys years, so lots of people (of my generation at least) learnt on either Logic or Cubase, so when using it, it feels like familiar ground.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:38 pm

All? :?: When had Logic acquired session view?