Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
puzzlefactory
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:49 pm

pencilrocket wrote:All? :?: When had Logic acquired session view?

Session view is part of Abletons USP, so no, of course Logic doesn't have it. But then again Live doesnt have Logics "Environment" page.

When I said a "good all rounder" I was referring to general music production, not specific functions.

djadonis206
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:53 pm

Forge. wrote:holy fuck... that was too easy! 8O

I just opened app store, clicked on Logic 9, clicked "Buy App" and entered my password and now it's downloading. 8O

I think I can probably persuade me baby muvva ex to go halves, but it's friday night here and beers and bifters were involved.

Is this immoral of them to make it so easy for people to buy? I'm going to have to make sure I use it now.

That means I will no longer be using Live for certain things - like Mixing, and probably arranging! 8O
For students it's been $199 since forever, so it's been pretty accessible for some for a while now. However, students can not update. This has been my hesitation. It may be that you can't update Logic Pro to 10, if that happens.

Or, the good folks at Apple are just being generous because everyone and their mom owns some other Apple product and their flush with cash.

Or, the demand for Logic has gone down

Or, by cutting out the middle man, supply of the product has increased

In any event, this is a nice deal. People should swoop it up if they can afford it
Ableton | Elektron

Music

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:36 pm

While I'm curious to see what Logic 10 will bring, I personally cannot see any reason to use Logic above other software anymore, other than it being cheap now. The fact that it is AU only and no VST bothers me. VST is much more useful for sending midi data between tracks. Logic, while having good audio editing, is also lacking many features of other newcomers like Reaper and Studio One that are quite impressive, like the ability to easily freeze/render regions and then go back to midi any time after editing etc. I like the Logic instruments and the aesthetic design, but the useability is still clunky (what's with having to hold down the mouse button for just the right amount of time, not a click but not held too long, in order to swap an effect for example?)
Professional Shark Jumper.

puzzlefactory
Posts: 360
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by puzzlefactory » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:02 pm

I don't know if there is any truth in this. But I've just been reading the latest Computer music magazine and in that they say there is a rumour going around that Apple are going to drop pluggin support on their music making products (something to do with their "sandboxing" policy, what ever that is?).

So Logic might be going the way of Reason, No VSTs. Could be interesting...

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm

puzzlefactory wrote:I don't know if there is any truth in this. But I've just been reading the latest Computer music magazine and in that they say there is a rumour going around that Apple are going to drop pluggin support on their music making products (something to do with their "sandboxing" policy, what ever that is?).

So Logic might be going the way of Reason, No VSTs. Could be interesting...
Not a chance. They'd lose all their customers.
Professional Shark Jumper.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by beats me » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:04 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:While I'm curious to see what Logic 10 will bring, I personally cannot see any reason to use Logic above other software anymore, other than it being cheap now. The fact that it is AU only and no VST bothers me. VST is much more useful for sending midi data between tracks. Logic, while having good audio editing, is also lacking many features of other newcomers like Reaper and Studio One that are quite impressive, like the ability to easily freeze/render regions and then go back to midi any time after editing etc. I like the Logic instruments and the aesthetic design, but the useability is still clunky (what's with having to hold down the mouse button for just the right amount of time, not a click but not held too long, in order to swap an effect for example?)

I’ll be a happy camper if Logic 10 brings nothing else to the table other than simplicity. It’s like it’s stuck in advanced mode when 95% of the time you don’t need it to be. There’s like 5 steps to do common things that should only take 1.

My other issue with Logic is I come from the Live world and it’s terminology and a lot of terms Live uses doesn’t match the term Logic uses and it’s a puzzle just trying to sort that out. I don’t know which is closer to the industry standard for terminology, or if there even is an industry standard. If there isn’t then there should be.

Komodovaran
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by Komodovaran » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:10 pm

I find Logic's menus really confusing. It's either hidden away at the top or some non-menubar-accessible menu INSIDE the Logic app.

And sidechaining. Wow.

Or maybe I'm just dense?

UncleAge
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by UncleAge » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:13 pm

If any of you can help... I like to route all kinds of midi stuff around internally, so...

I'm curious if the "environment" inside Logic allows the user to setup custom instruments/routing that allows for the routing of midi out of plugins like Thesys or different 3rd party arps? And if so, can these be saved as custom rack/presets/instruments (or whatever it may be called)?

Trust, I already know I can do it via the IAC buss. I'm asking whether there is an internal solution to the lack of midi in/out functionality in AU components. Otherwise, I'd have to come up with a solution outside of Logic to route all my stuff around.

yosh
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by yosh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:53 pm

It is WAY WAY WAY easier to make composite tracks in Logic than in Live.

starving student
Posts: 7123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:13 pm
Location: right here

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by starving student » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:55 pm

totally forgot about that au only bit, , bummer. I almost want it for the audio only but I guess I'm not that sophisticated

The Landwhale
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by The Landwhale » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:56 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I like the Logic instruments and the aesthetic design, but the useability is still clunky (what's with having to hold down the mouse button for just the right amount of time, not a click but not held too long, in order to swap an effect for example?)
I find this annoying too, but I have a hunch as to why it works like that. It makes sense on a touchscreen. ;)
So, it will allow Logic to function well with several input device choices, trackpad, mouse or touchscreen. This way the transition to touchscreen for OS X can happen a little easier while allowing backwards compatibility for older macs.

It's how the interface works on GarageBand for iOS, the touch and hold functionality works naturally on the iPad, and WILL work once either:
A) Logic is released for iOS
B) a touchscreen Mac is released.

It seems so obvious by now, at least to me. If you're running Lion and Logic 9 with a magic trackpad you can feel the interface transitioning already. 1-2 more iterations max.

Of course this is all just IMHO. Grain of salt, blah blah

Angstrom
Posts: 14669
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by Angstrom » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:00 pm

At this price I think I'm gonna buy it and I don't even own a mac
Image

glitchrock-buddha
Posts: 4357
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:29 am
Location: The Ableton Live Forum

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:03 pm

The Landwhale wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I like the Logic instruments and the aesthetic design, but the useability is still clunky (what's with having to hold down the mouse button for just the right amount of time, not a click but not held too long, in order to swap an effect for example?)
I find this annoying too, but I have a hunch as to why it works like that. It makes sense on a touchscreen. ;)
So, it will allow Logic to function well with several input device choices, trackpad, mouse or touchscreen. This way the transition to touchscreen for OS X can happen a little easier while allowing backwards compatibility for older macs.

It's how the interface works on GarageBand for iOS, the touch and hold functionality works naturally on the iPad, and WILL work once either:
A) Logic is released for iOS
B) a touchscreen Mac is released.

It seems so obvious by now, at least to me. If you're running Lion and Logic 9 with a magic trackpad you can feel the interface transitioning already. 1-2 more iterations max.

Of course this is all just IMHO. Grain of salt, blah blah
Sorry to bust your theory, but it's been like this since the old Logic days. I remember when I first tried Logic 4, I couldn't figure out how the hell to load a plug-in. Because I had to HOLD the instrument slot for just the right amount of time to open the menu. Click didn't work then as it does now for a new instrument. And holding too long makes the menu disappear. In the last few verison they allowed to simply click on an empty slot to bring up the menu, but you still have to click with slight hold to bring up the menu on an existing insert/instrument. There is no benefit for touch screens. It's left over from the old code like many other things.
Professional Shark Jumper.

The Landwhale
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 pm
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by The Landwhale » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:21 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
The Landwhale wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I like the Logic instruments and the aesthetic design, but the useability is still clunky (what's with having to hold down the mouse button for just the right amount of time, not a click but not held too long, in order to swap an effect for example?)
I find this annoying too, but I have a hunch as to why it works like that. It makes sense on a touchscreen. ;)
So, it will allow Logic to function well with several input device choices, trackpad, mouse or touchscreen. This way the transition to touchscreen for OS X can happen a little easier while allowing backwards compatibility for older macs.

It's how the interface works on GarageBand for iOS, the touch and hold functionality works naturally on the iPad, and WILL work once either:
A) Logic is released for iOS
B) a touchscreen Mac is released.

It seems so obvious by now, at least to me. If you're running Lion and Logic 9 with a magic trackpad you can feel the interface transitioning already. 1-2 more iterations max.

Of course this is all just IMHO. Grain of salt, blah blah
Sorry to bust your theory, but it's been like this since the old Logic days. I remember when I first tried Logic 4, I couldn't figure out how the hell to load a plug-in. Because I had to HOLD the instrument slot for just the right amount of time to open the menu. Click didn't work then as it does now for a new instrument. And holding too long makes the menu disappear. In the last few verison they allowed to simply click on an empty slot to bring up the menu, but you still have to click with slight hold to bring up the menu on an existing insert/instrument. There is no benefit for touch screens. It's left over from the old code like many other things.
Hmmm... I see your point, and you may very well be right, but... There definitely IS a benefit to touching and holding certain interface elements on a touchscreen, whether it was intentional or not is debatable.
The benefit is that if everything in the interface immediately responded to touch, it would be a disaster. Everything would be accidentally triggered by all the greasy fingered sloppy bitches molesting the screen while they're trying crank out their next half-finished concoction of loops and presets. Imagine all the whining and howling.

djadonis206
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Re: Logic Pro 9 for $199. Futher pressure to lower prices?

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:27 pm

In Live you can hot swap audio clips. Can you do this is Logic?

For example, I can drag and drop an audio loop into Live's arrange window. I then cut the one loop up into several pieces. In each new piece I can drag some other new sound into the clip window at the bottom of the screen. The result is a nice collage of cut up sounds.

I'm under the impression this is not possible with Logic
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Post Reply