What's the next best thing to live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Monchai

What's the next best thing to live

Post by Monchai » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:45 pm

Lately, been reading about how Ableton might merged or sold to other company. Wondering what's the next best thing to live in term of all the features that live has like session/arrangement. been using Live a for too long and never have tried other DAW for years now.

ollyb303

Re: What's the next best thing to live

Post by ollyb303 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Sliced bread.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Is there a link to Ableton being sold?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:13 pm

I bought Ableton Live, but that was years ago.

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:17 pm

hahaha, ok. Let me stop feeding into the rumours.

starving student

Post by starving student » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:01 am

maschine

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:05 am

ms. pinky's inside ableton....
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:48 am

The next best thing to live is undead, I suppose.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:39 am

a major update to Live..provided when stable..

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:20 am

Motu's BPM?
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

Monchai

Post by Monchai » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:57 am

I read in this forum here somewhere about the deal between Ableton and Presonus. Anyway, that's not the case here. I love using Follow Action, and the crossfader. Just wanna know if there's any other DAW offer the same function and something like Session view too.

ark

Post by ark » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:12 pm

The next best thing to Live is probably this. And they're on sale until December 23, too.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:37 pm

Monchai wrote:Just wanna know if there's any other DAW offer the same function and something like Session view too.
Maschine. It's not a full-on "DAW" per se. Its sequencer is essentially NI's own version of session view with scenes and clips and has a few key advantages like the incredibly tight integration with the dedicated hardware that eliminates the mouse or the need to look at the computer screen, being able to record clip automation, ability to loop certain range of scenes (like having Follow Actions for scenes)...etc. It's all about the fast hands-on workflow and that it feels like using a self-contained hardware.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:48 pm

@OP: Not much really. However, if Live was not an option I'm pretty sure I'd look to make a custom setup in either Pd, Max, Usine, Audio Mulch or Bidule.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:35 pm

for me this is:
Sensomusic Usine

without a shadow of a doubt.

_full daw that is the only one to play in that range.
_got a session equivalent wich is a matrix grid of patch that can be trigged as 'scenes' as well, and reced to arrange/sequencer.
_Patchs can be anything, with unlimited sub-patchs levels. from grain sampler, vstis, step sequencers, whatever.
_if you want something specific, you just build it in no time/limitations.
_work natively as stand-alone, or VSTI inside any daw.
_Any patch you make can now be exported as stand alone app, vst or Vsti to re-use in other daw, distribuate or sell.
_Full custom build of user interfaces, make shorcuts to what you really needs using knobs, sliders, arrays, 2D matrixs, XY ect..
_build custom midi controllers or bomes like translations with no equivalent.
_Modularity pushed beyond imagination limits, anything got I/O that can receive/emit data (ie lfos for anything, quantized trigz..)
_Out of the box gamepads, wiimote, kinnekt, any HID and video mocap as controllers.
_Out of the box Multitouch and gestures for all gui modules.
_powerfull scripting language and Internal wireless language if impressive list of basic primitives modules weren't enough.
_instant recall and morphing of any sets of parameters, including VSTs via powerfull preset manager
_ability to dynamically alter routings, even dynamically load/unload of vsts/patchs.
_full surround suport up to 32 outs.
_full OSC support.
_fully free functionnal version.
_ridiculous price for what you get (119e for unlimited pro, and a special promo @59e now!!! find something equivalent at this price!!! you won't even find something that got 20 percent of usine possibilities.
_The creator, a french guy called Olivier Sens is a great musician, and awesome intelligent and fast programmer. He really listen to users request and i would say 70 percent of requests end-up implemented in a better way you would have thought yourself.
He for long used Lemur,Max-Msp,and reaktor and was so bored of limitations he started to build his own stuff over 10 years, that summ-up a bit the thing...

have a look at free version, it's just free and let you see the potential of the beast. of course at start it seems a bit complex, but really it's not. but don't espect a noob interface a la ableton.. just build your own vision of your dream setup.