Make a custom 26 button Live controller the easy way :)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:35 pm

AdamJay wrote:silly me, i've just been using the 26 keys on my laptop all this time :roll: :)
although many people are happy with a laptop as an interface for programming, for performance I tend to think it contributes to a lack of dynamism in the show. Also it can tend to create a "what the hell is he doing" vibe, to which my answer is generally - " his geography homework"

I am looking at art instalation peices at the moment sophysicalcomputing is relevant to me.

I gave the example of familiar trigger boxes, to explain the concept- but the switches could be replacedby:

roller switches
vibration switches
beam switches (jean michelle jarre?)
magnetic switches
Motion switches (burglaralarm)
IR sensors
Ultrasonicsensors
flexsensors - for dancers

etc etc

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:45 pm

sorry i guys , i'm still searching for an adequate sarcasm emoticon.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:48 pm

aha,

can we have a sticky that just says
:roll: + :) = sarcasm emoticon

:)

Benshik

Post by Benshik » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:09 am

Angstrom wrote:
although many people are happy with a laptop as an interface for programming, for performance I tend to think it contributes to a lack of dynamism in the show. Also it can tend to create a "what the hell is he doing" vibe, to which my answer is generally - " his geography homework"

I am looking at art instalation peices at the moment sophysicalcomputing is relevant to me.

I gave the example of familiar trigger boxes, to explain the concept- but the switches could be replacedby:

roller switches
vibration switches
beam switches (jean michelle jarre?)
magnetic switches
Motion switches (burglaralarm)
IR sensors
Ultrasonicsensors
flexsensors - for dancers

etc etc
Euh... no offence but, don't you think that bringing all these gadgets on stage is exactly the best way to create a "what the hell is he doing" vibe???? :D, to which my answer is "his crazy scientist homework"

Ben

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:18 pm

re: crazy scientist homework

think more ... dancer

http://www.troikaranch.org/technology.html

http://www.troikatronix.com/index.html

that aint me BTW, it's some friends of mine.

nexus-6

Post by nexus-6 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:58 pm

hi
i was thinking is there a way to as you say cut open a usb-keyboard and then build a controller for live using,the "metal-cover(cut-down)"from a old stationary pc??i mean to use the cut-down metal-cover as a case/box for the controller??has anybody done that??

Nexus-6-project
and
retrodelica

www.mymusic.dk
Nexus-6,Nexus-6-project

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:54 pm

robin wrote:so, can you run two keyboards at the same time then?

ie. i can use my laptop keyboard and have extra buttons from the cannibalised usb-keyboard too?

not sure you can can you?
If you caps lock on keyboard and leave the other lowercase, you will have controll of 52 individual buttons via two keyboards. I did this for quite some time before one of my keyboards got drunk one night (stupid keyboard stole my Heineken) and fried many of its key contacts in the process. So I dissasembled it and used it with the 26 of the 32 XArcade buttons I got for my MIDIBox. Worked great! If I didnt need 68 buttons and 30 rotary encoders I would have stopped there... but alas a MIDIBox will be far more fun.
I cant think of a sig