My Full Review & Experience Of Point Blank Music Online...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mbird21

My Full Review & Experience Of Point Blank Music Online...

Post by mbird21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi guys! :) i said a few months ago i would post up my honest and full feedback on my experience with Point Blank online music school to help give a unbiased report unlike the hundreds that the extremly well ran publicity machine at Point Blank does.

Firstly i signed up to do a 3 course programme, ableton live production, edm course & mixing dance music (yet to start).

Now i maybe joined and didint have too and knew more than i thought but the hidden secrets and so called professional producer backings got me decided much against my real thoughts, i know sometimes things are all window dressings without and real stock, sadly that is what i would describe Point Blank.

So, i do the Ableton Live course, my assigned tutor was a really nice guy dont get me wrong and tried to answer most things that users put to him though towards the middle of the course it become more and more distant as other courses where starting the emphasis was put on that group and so on. The actual DVR on the Ableton course was reasonable at times and other times utterly short and pointless with one user mentioning that he had left the course with more questions than answers! and a couple of others giving up and losing patience with the programme altogether and some no doubt having similar feelings but darent speak out.

So the course notes, this is a joke, infact its a fucking disgrace!, a few i dunno 15 on screen pages taking up with massive pointless pictures in them to make up for the lack of content in the course, the actual videos where soo short and on average lasted 2 mins to 4 mins, and was just a replay of the manual, except the manual actually goes into more detail then the course without the big pictures too!. On one part of the course they sell this course with exclusive course materails etc, you dont get NOTHING! dont be fooled you will get not a dicky bird from these people, instead you get a link sending you to time/space where you get exclusive demo content of various loop packs which turns out anyone can do anyway! lol. Then we have the deadmau5 exclusive set, err maybe im missing something but drawing empty clips on ableton for where the instruments played is not exclusive and a little footnote saying if you wanna hear the track buy it, yeah thats really exclusive! i bet loads of people suddenly become better producers after that!. Then we have the mixing your track part, mixing been a obv deep subject its amazing PB managed to sum it up in a couple of pages with in all 10 sentences and again some pretty pictures with a massive picture of some 70s guy sitting in a studio the size of the isle of man, with taking a break, yeah! thanks again for that! if nothing esle you get access to some lovely pictures. Finally on the ableton course, the DVR feedback, if your lucky enough to have my tutor you will have a little bit of extra time on yr videos but still a very small amount, they sell it has well you have everyone esles videos to learn from too! yeah if you cant remember what you did 5 mins before that might be true, but if you have a attenion span that can go for longer than this, you will find the same advice repeated over and over. My impression of that course, maybe i knew more than i thought i did and it didint help and that i wasint as naive as others who have no experience, but the course is not worth the screen it shows on and for the money is actually nothing short of a legalized scam backed by failing musicians with failing record sales making there living out of aspiring musicians, thats what the industry has come too! imo.

Second course the trance course, exactly same as above! with exception the course materail is even less than the ableton course and you get exclusive access to lots of pretty pictures of ferry corsten and sander van doorn and oh a nightclub scene from cream which i recognised from google. The lecturer for this course who i wont name again for reasons, was about as exciting as a dose of the clap!, he couldnt sound less interested if he had tried! and more than that with 2 dvrs comig to a combination of 15 mins altogether, the chances of you coming away with anything other than a hole in your pockets is pretty much zero!. In one DVR the self professed record label owner and superstar producer took my tracks apart and eqied them all, this sounds better he says!, only problem was i had already eqied the sounds and he couldnt be assed to open the racks up to see this and didint wanna take the time too, because heaven forbid that would make it look like he actually was interested in this crap. Then came the masterclass chat sessions! lol, dont make me laugh, this is the chance for you to discuss topics surronding the current weeks course content, yeah right that would be nice if there was firstly any real course content and secondly if it didint take 5 mins for him to answer, by time the nice hellos and goodbyes are done and the little delays in answering its off you go and you then wonder where the last hour of your life went lol.

Now im sure some people will slate me for this and wouldnt surprise me if it gets taking off depending on how much influence PB has on net, which is considerable looking at it!, but this is a real review, im not been paid anything from these and im certainly not going to kiss some over hyped producers ass because they are in the click and released music on beatport, and i have one thing to say to the so called professional musicians who endorse this rubbish, shame on you, i lost respect for alot of people i thought where good producers.

So this is my review of courses i have done there and its up to you whether to believe me or not or make your own mind up, i dont care if you wanna lose over a grand like i did, thats up to you, my point is to offer a unbiased and personal experience of my time at PB online.

Thanks guys!

Emerah

Re: My Full Review & Experience Of Point Blank Music Online...

Post by Emerah » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks for sharing. I think you are honest.

I very much appreciate the free tips from PB and was close to enrolling couple of times but .... yeah that 'but' always stopped me. I still have my respect for all the producers and what they do to the community.

may be this honest review that reflects your experience will be the opportunity for the good people at pb to look into fixing these issues. I trust they will.
it never ends. neither does it begin where you think it does. its only in your mind.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for the review! I believe in the "do it yourself" model, takes longer but you surely will learn more and deeper in the end. I don't believe that any course makes you a good producer or masteing engineer, only years of practice will do that....;)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:44 pm

I on the otherhand never liked the free point blank music videos.. Not sure how much you paid for them but it seems like the free vids from dubspot are pretty decent. I'm planning on buying Nick's sound design tutorials though. Everyone here seems to think they're really great.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:Thanks for the review! I believe in the "do it yourself" model, takes longer but you surely will learn more and deeper in the end. I don't believe that any course makes you a good producer or masteing engineer, only years of practice will do that....;)
Equally same mate, i spent 5 years every day doing it and at uni doing similar i just thought there was some hidden secrets somewhere in this, i guess if you where a really green user and couldnt be bothered with manual then its probably ok for that, but totally agree, i learned what i know without all this stuff but live n learn i guess, be it expensive way.

Thing is im not inflicting my own experience of PB onto anyone, so i hope it dosent come across that way but merely trying to give a honest view without the gauze of commercial gain in it :D thanks for letting me know fellas ;).

Cool Xmas to ya's :D
Alex!

login

Post by login » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:37 pm

I would rather spend on IRL music classes, learning theory through learning to play keboards.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:03 pm

Just get a monthly or yearly subscription to sites like groove3 or macprovideo. You'll get a lot more then what you're looking for and always have access to their constantly growing libraries.

Just last night I was watching the tutorials on Absynth on macprovideo just because I could. It was informative but I probably would have never bought it directly.

The advantage to these services is you'll find information and techniques on things you probably wouldn't find just hunting around on your own because they're off your radar. Make some popcorn and cue up a tutorial series you wouldn't buy directly and you'll still learn something you could apply to your music.

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm

So nothing like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_c6dKSsnwU

Can't say I'm surprised though.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Rationalizer wrote:So nothing like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_c6dKSsnwU

Can't say I'm surprised though.
It might well be in the actual college itself, i couldnt comment on what the actual school is like as a student attending but just my online experience, so i really wouldnt know tbh.

I have had a answer from PB earlier and they are trying to resolve some of the issues ive mentioned so thats a nice surprise.
Alex!

minkay

Post by minkay » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:21 am

beats me wrote:Just get a monthly or yearly subscription to sites like groove3 or macprovideo. You'll get a lot more then what you're looking for and always have access to their constantly growing libraries.

Late response, but thanks for the tip!

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:37 am

minkay wrote:
beats me wrote:Just get a monthly or yearly subscription to sites like groove3 or macprovideo. You'll get a lot more then what you're looking for and always have access to their constantly growing libraries.

Late response, but thanks for the tip!
I can say Macprovideos are very good,lots of info,teachers are very good :D

Im not working for them,lol.But as a relative newcomer I used Macpro video for Reason and now Live

Best thing is,once your logged in,you can view your tuts anywhere,so you dont have to be stuck at home,

Sensibles prices,too,well worth the money

And of course you can pick bits of a topic out,as a refresh, :D
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

disco dreamz

Post by disco dreamz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:23 am

I've been signed up with sonicacademy.com for about a month, and find them quite useful. there seems to be quite a few courses geared towards specific genres, such as deep house, trance,tek house blah blah. As well as courses on music theory, DAWs i.e ableton, logic etc. Plus loads of technique tutorials, how to get this lead sound or that bass, and loads of other sound design stuff also tutorials from producers that ive not heard of, but the seem to know what they're talking about and have some useful tips and insights,
and for the £34 for 3 months recurring or £100 for a year, I don't feel too ripped off, plus you can pull out when you want.
I'm not usually a vocal endorser of anything but having just done the "How to make deep house 2012" course, ive learned some good work flow tips and techniques in ableton which I've been struggling to do for years.
I only found them after deciding I couldn't afford the outrageous prices for the PB courses.

JMFOne

Post by JMFOne » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:31 pm

disco dreamz wrote:I've been signed up with sonicacademy.com for about a month, and find them quite useful. there seems to be quite a few courses geared towards specific genres, such as deep house, trance,tek house blah blah. As well as courses on music theory, DAWs i.e ableton, logic etc. Plus loads of technique tutorials, how to get this lead sound or that bass, and loads of other sound design stuff also tutorials from producers that ive not heard of, but the seem to know what they're talking about and have some useful tips and insights,
and for the £34 for 3 months recurring or £100 for a year, I don't feel too ripped off, plus you can pull out when you want.
I'm not usually a vocal endorser of anything but having just done the "How to make deep house 2012" course, ive learned some good work flow tips and techniques in ableton which I've been struggling to do for years.
I only found them after deciding I couldn't afford the outrageous prices for the PB courses.
This x2 lads-sonic academy is fantastic. I really upped my game after 3 months with them. It is quite short on content though so you dont get (well i didn't) much after the initial 3 months.
15" Apple Macbook Pro, mid 2012, 2.6GHz 8GB RAM 750GB HD, Ableton Live 9.2, Virus TI Polar

lattetown

Post by lattetown » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:53 pm

As a newbie, I did get a lot out of the Point Blank Production course, but I have to agree they are too damn expensive for what you get--especialy since the video feedback now is useless since they've cut them down to once every other week--half the info for the same price. I mostly agree with the review if you know how to do sidechain compression, then you can find the same content elsewhere on the net for less. SonicAcademy is good, and music-courses.com have some good sound design videos.

Armin van Buren recently asked on Twitter how many Top 100 DJs went to one of those online DJ schools...the honest answer is Zero.

Save your money and buy better gear, and produce.
Last edited by lattetown on Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

login

Post by login » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:56 pm

Groove3 is nice, cheap and tons of good info.