Ableton beginner needs recomendation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which way should I go?

Intro first
21%
Just go right to Live
47%
Just go for broke with Suite
32%

Total votes: 19

timcogan

Ableton beginner needs recomendation

Post by timcogan » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:55 pm

I'm want to get into Ableton, but I never invest a lot of money in something unless I know I am going to continue using it, hence my current equipment. So, would it be better to get Ableton Live Intro and then upgrade to 8 later, or just go straight to 8? I heard that Ableton does not discount their upgrades, but I was unable to confirm that because Ableton requires that you already have a serial number to see update options. Anyway, any thoughts?
17" MacBook Pro (Early 2011), Traktor, Traktor Kontrol S4, Korg nanoKontrol2, nanoPad2, nanoKey2, AiAiAi TMA-1 Headphones, Novation Launchpad, Behringer BCR2000, M-Audio Axiom Pro 25.

H20nly

Re: Ableton beginner needs recomendation

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Why not get Ableton Live Demo and find out without spending any money?

that'll be 65.95 i take Paypal.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:09 pm

H20nly wrote:Why not get Ableton Live Demo and find out without spending any money?

Thanks man. There's a free PS3 in your inbox if you click the link. Np.

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 pm

Like H2Only said, the demo is the way to go here. Figure out first if you like it, and secondly what you need it for. If you like it enough to dedicate the money, but you really only need it to do some simple looping as an adjunct to your DJ set, then Intro might be fine. For production though, I imagine it won't be long before you're really feeling the omission of some feature.

I started with vanilla Live for start-to-finish production work, using VSTs for samplers and synthesizers, and before long I couldn't help but notice that a lot of Live tutorials and trickery relied on Sampler and Operator, and I wanted to work that way instead. I preferred using those to devices to using my VSTs since they were more integrated into the UI and I liked their features more. It felt like I was missing out. So come upgrade time, I bought Suite and never looked back.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:24 pm

I went from Intro -> Live -> Suite. Wish I would've just went straight into Suite. Yes, there are better synths outside of the suite package but Ableton's synths are really nicely integrated and they still sound good. Also, they're pretty easy to learn synthesis on. Example FM8 (much more powerful but difficult FM synth)
Operator (anyone can make a sound with it but talented sound designers can make it sound incredible)

I'd say go for it. The only synth i never use is Tension but who knows tha tmight change.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:35 pm

Komodovaran wrote:
H20nly wrote:Why not get Ableton Live Demo and find out without spending any money?

Thanks man. There's a free PS3 in your inbox if you click the link. Np.
:P nice!

strode420

Post by strode420 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:50 pm

I wish i would have just went right to Suite as well. Really though, i only wanted Sampler, but figured if i was spending extra coin i may as well get the whole thing. I still don't really use Operator/Analog/Tension though. But i murder Sampler non-stop and couldn't do what i do without it.
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:04 am

I still have avoided the Suite. I'd probably buy it if it were $99. I had plenty of VSTs and samplers before buying Live.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:47 pm

sweet!

timcogan

Post by timcogan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up jumping right to Suite and very happy I did so. I love Sampler.
17" MacBook Pro (Early 2011), Traktor, Traktor Kontrol S4, Korg nanoKontrol2, nanoPad2, nanoKey2, AiAiAi TMA-1 Headphones, Novation Launchpad, Behringer BCR2000, M-Audio Axiom Pro 25.

strode420

Post by strode420 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:52 pm

timcogan wrote:Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up jumping right to Suite and very happy I did so. I love Sampler.
Glad to hear it! The best thing about Sampler is that you can put like 8 bajillion instances of it in a track and it barely hits your cpu.
Imac 27" 3.4ghz i7 16gb 10.7.4
MBP 15" 2.16ghz CoreDuo 2gb 10.6.8
Logic 9.1.7 & Suite 8.2.7 w/ M4L
MOTU 828mkII firewire
Serato SL3, (2) 1200 M3D's & (1) CDJ800 w/ Ecler Evo4
Keystation 88 Pro, padKontrol w/ Farmpad, Launchpad

alphabetacool

Post by alphabetacool » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:17 am

Hey guys! I would suggest going to LE edition by getting a control surface (AKAI MPK49 keys should do)
Having the ability to save your work is a must have & I don't think demo will do that.

Best bet is to get an AKAI MPK49 This was my first one. I think I got it for $250.00 USD This will offer a way better platform for you to get use to the real meat and bones of EMP. Playing Keys, using the drum pads on the Akai, and the knobs and learning how to MIDI map the Akai keyboard. Your experience of really using Ableton for what it offers will be better.

If you really want to get going fast. Start smart and READ! Or watch info videos on Ableton.com's Instructional video section or Youtube (more like YU Youtube University... He he) Anyways Back on topic. Main point I am trying to make is to get something with piano keys. You CAN use your regular keyboard & mouse (I do all the time now since I'm to lazy to move my gear around.) Watch some videos and get schooled before diving in. Jumping directly in and not knowing anything will just frustrate you and turn you away from using it. Not good! You want to make something, and feel good about it 8) That will keep you working on it without giving up. Second point is: "Making a pattern of learning the right" way will set you up for success after success. Later on you will need to learn the harder functions and the "Dive on in and click S#!%@T method could get real nasty. :oops: :roll: and it makes a pattern of failing with any equipment you use.

Another pointer. Best tip of all... Work with it every day. (YES every damn day!) 3 years ago I was doing great. Then a while back and I left Ableton to get back on the vinyl, Now coming back I forgot everything. Don't be me!