***ABLETON AUDIO ENGINE CRASH SOLVED!!!***

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
friend_kami

Re: ***ABLETON AUDIO ENGINE CRASH SOLVED!!!***

Post by friend_kami » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:30 am

wattdogg wrote:
friend_kami wrote:you know, if you run a taskkill command, you are rightclicking and ending the task in process explorer. it's the same thing happening, only thing is happening via a shortcut.
so figuring out the pid and then changing the shortcut to reflect the new pid is just time consuming and stupid.

what's more, if you do crach properly, as in live hanging to your ram still, what you need to do is to reset all devices and drivers that live is using, or kill the process then awit some 5-10 minutes. taskkill doesn't solve this either.

i've done numerous of kills, but with windows own process management thing, with process explorer, with some other process management softwares, including numerous of commands with the command prompt, and even got confirmation, both in the command prompt and from my software that my thread, process, and my pid number have been shut down properly.

except that it hasn't, and it still running. not in suspended mode either. the only way to fix it is to reset all drivers that it uses, as those are the ones hooking it to ram still. windows is single client, and this is one of the retarded ways it shows it.
Ok, I'm not exactly a computer whiz. The best I can muster is a few lines of VB code at a push. I'm sure there is a much more elegant way to resolve this hanging issue. If so, I'd be pleased to know it. I've been looking on and off for a while and this is the only thing that I've found that has worked for me.

I tried doing the exact same procedure but instead of clicking the short cut when the error box appears, killing the process tree in task manager/PROCEXP and it does not work for me. I understand what you are saying, it's logical but I'm getting differing results. The TASKKILL /PID command is working, ending the process tree via task manager / PROCEXP isn't. The short cut just saves having to type the command out fully.

I tried disconnecting all the external stuff, sound card, usb midi keyboard, etc. Disabling all non critical drivers with device manager and it still wouldn't release it.

When I right click on the ableton process in task manager and click "Go to service(s)" nothing was being identified in the services tab. If I open PROCEXP to get the PID. That number doesn't appear at all on task manager's services tab. The PID isn't the same every time so a static short cut won't cut it.

If my fix isn't the best way to tackle the specific issue please tell me what is. :oops:

Thanks
that is odd, indeed.
taskkill doesn't release the dll's hooked unless the dll's are released, either by timeout or by device connection and drivers.
kill process doesn't either.
taskkill is supposed to be able to force it, but on my machine it has never been able to force it, neither on my old machine.
yours does.

this operating system is fantastic, isn't it? :)
if it works for you, then it works. question is why it works, are you running taskkill /pid in an elevated command prompt?
are you running your daw with an elevated user?

if anything, it's interesting. one of the reasons i like computers, you never know what's gonna happen next hehe.

edit: btw, when it says that the process is killed, have you checked to see that it actually IS killed?
mine kept saying that, but it was still running.
just checking.

Breaks Dude

Post by Breaks Dude » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Here we go with the Mac fanbois again. To own a Mac as powerful as my current PC I'd need to spend like $6,000+. No thanks, I'll deal with the hangs and use the money for more gear.

push

Post by push » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:54 am

Just came here after having this issue. Found a solution.

Unplug your MIDI controller / sound card.

I unplugged my Akai MPK, turned off my firewire Focusrite, and the process killed itself.

It's a driver hanging issue, pure and simple.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 am

It's a driver hanging issue, pure and simple.
Except when it's not. I've had multiple occasions where unplugging every USB item from every slot on my machine failed to kill the process.

I've also had occasions where unplugging my interface and/or MPK49 killed the process though, so sometimes this is in fact the case. Just not always, which is annoying :/

kennsore

Post by kennsore » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:20 am

I don't know if you've tried this. There are two different ways of killing processes using Task Manager. My experience is that if you just click "End Task" under the application tab in Task Manager, the hanging application more often than not will continue hanging. If you right-click Ableton (or some other hanging application under the Application Tab) and choose "go to process" this will take you to the specific process. If you end the process that usually does the trick...

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:57 pm

Yeah, the process just sits there even after killing it. Even using specific process-killing tools won't get rid of it, unfortunately

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:30 pm

"edit: btw, when it says that the process is killed, have you checked to see that it actually IS killed?
mine kept saying that, but it was still running.
just checking."

same here

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous
FL plugins Ozone 5, Autotune 7 Gibson SG
Fender Strat APC 40