Vocals Take and Comping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarkH

Vocals Take and Comping

Post by MarkH » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Live is perfect in every way except I wish there was a simpler way to do Vocal takes + editing/comping - more like Pro Tools or Logic (Quick Swipe). Does anyone here record vocals into Live? If so, what's your technique? Perhaps I'm simply overlooking something. :wink:
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

H20nly

Re: Vocals Take and Comping

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 pm

i do.

you can setup an editor in Live's Preferences (File Folder tab). i use Sound Forge 9.

Peevy

Post by Peevy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:50 pm

This is 1 area were Live is severely lacking. If I'm comping guitars in Live, sometime I just record 4 to 8 bars of the riff in session view then pick the best one & use warp markers (which I find especially excellent for this task) to fix any timing issues. Vocals is a different story, if the vocal is anyway complex or requires a lot of takes I'll just fire up Reaper which is pretty decent for comping. I'm really hoping Live 9 has some sort of comping feature as well as 64bit & a few other features but that's another story :)
Image Image Image Image

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:37 pm

it's a poor replacement...

but if you turn on "loop" for the section your recording you can do several takes in a row, then stretch out your clip and copy/paste into new channels.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:02 pm

there are a few methods such as having loop on and having several blank tracks ready for recording.. just a matter of switching tracks after each loop.. there are a few others i've read but I switched to the props Record for recording any vocals for any comping.. far way superior as far as workflow.. hopefully ableton 9 will do some improvements

Warrior Bob

Post by Warrior Bob » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Jekblad wrote:it's a poor replacement...

but if you turn on "loop" for the section your recording you can do several takes in a row, then stretch out your clip and copy/paste into new channels.
I believe this is the method that they used to advertise in videos on the Ableton site.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:24 pm

Warrior Bob wrote:
Jekblad wrote:it's a poor replacement...

I believe this is the method that they used to advertise in videos on the Ableton site.
it works though... especially by yourself. i do it. if i stop and listen to every take, after about 3 or 4 goes... i'm (often) done. i UN-inspire myself right out of continuing before i even get warmed up. nothing is better than having someone else at the console while you focus on JUST vocals, but that is a luxury i rarely have. the method quoted above is the next best thing - a console running itself.