I'm curious about M4L

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

I'm curious about M4L

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:52 am

I'm really enjoying the Touch-Able / Maschine / Live combo. However, there's somethings I wish I had in that combo.

I'd like to double, duplicate and copy and paste clips in the session view from my iPad. I would also like to preview audio clips and import them into session view with my iPad. Oh, and I'd like to open and close VSTs with the iPad.

I'm considering Lemur and M4L

Is any of this possible?

*I posted this in the m4l forum and got no response. It's like a ghost town down there.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

antarktika

Re: I'm curious about M4L

Post by antarktika » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:43 pm

why lemur if you have the Ipad already? they both can communicate via osc, all you need is something like
http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
IMO a Lemur would be redundant.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:58 pm

antarktika wrote:why lemur if you have the Ipad already? they both can communicate via osc, all you need is something like
http://hexler.net/software/touchosc
IMO a Lemur would be redundant.
I think he is talking bout the Lemur app on ipad......

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:14 pm

Sorry, yes the Lemur app. Or at least some kind of app that allows me to get in there and make something that will allow me to copy paste duplicate and double clips. In addition to launching clips and controlling devices
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Have a look at Griid Pro. Won't do everything you want, but most of your 'clip' wants.

Check out -http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Gcc_UcxBog

Get M4L. You'll never regret it :wink:

I haven't played with the Lemur app........yet :roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:07 pm

try the demo, do the first 20 lessons and you'll be able to make rudimentary devices. max definitely takes a LOT of time to get into but once things click you can learn to take apart other peoples' objects and stitch things together.

for what you want to do, I'd first look for things that are already made, be that with M4L or whatever. a new M4L user is many many hours away from being able to make what you want.

if you have the money to get it, go for it, it's a trip to see how it all works. I know you like the geekshit you'd get a kick out of playing with audio and midi. for me it can be fun to just watch TV and run the audio through M4L just to fuck shit up. max is one way to dip you toe into proper DSP coding. I've made some devices and they took weekendS to make. generally speaking, if you had kids I'd say no, it takes too much time.

so, to make what you want, it'll take a while. do I think you'd get a kick out of M4L? probably, or you might find you'd rather spend your free time focusing on making tunes, not widgets or playing around.

IMO the max forums are quiet because the code people write can be really tricky to understand. you've done software right? it sucks working with someone else's code. well, max with its GUI based interface, hierarchical structure and order of operations can lead to really tricky code to understand. that's why it's best to just black box code from the help files or a M4L library and reuse it rather than starting from scratch every time.

hth max is easier to talk about after you've experienced it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:07 am

Yep, as Tone says, try the M4L demo. Great advice.

As a guy who doesn't geek out on code, I find the M4L purchase invaluable for music making.
( Yep, I have kids and haven't the time.... )
Just using what is already out there in M4L, it's well worth it (if you have the money)...... and like reaktor, it just keeps on giving thanks to the talented and dedicated M4L users/writers in the community.

And, you can get 25% off till 15th January. :D

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:16 am

Thanks for the advice. I hear you Tone. It just seems these iPad apps are so close to being perfect.

I have Griid. The thing that sort of seems odd is the fact that the piano roll doesn't actually play anything. So I have to guess what's what. I don't like that.

Going back and forth between Griid and TouchAble is okay but i bet the best of all worlds could be in one app.

Wishful thinking I guess
Ableton | Elektron

Music

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:29 am

I heavily rely on the piano roll for music creation, so the iPad has yet to take a proper seat in my rig. I keep waiting for the Touchable guys to implement it. Personally I think Griid is lack luster. You cant even create a note in C-2, it wont scroll down that far.

M4L is fun, and it's not really coding either, far from it. As others have said, try the demo. However M4L definitely has it's limitations, dont believe the hype, it's not "limitless possibilites" but it's great for building simple helper devices that is not standard in Live. Seems to me most of the things I want M4L to do is exactly where I find it's limitations, or at least realize Live's or my own limitations.

On that note, I think Live could offer an all in one solution to Live itself with just a few implementations here and there. GEEZ so close yet so far i guess.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:34 am

JuanSOLO wrote:I heavily rely on the piano roll for music creation, so the iPad has yet to take a proper seat in my rig. I keep waiting for the Touchable guys to implement it. Personally I think Griid is lack luster. You cant even create a note in C-2, it wont scroll down that far.

M4L is fun, and it's not really coding either, far from it. As others have said, try the demo. However M4L definitely has it's limitations, dont believe the hype, it's not "limitless possibilites" but it's great for building simple helper devices that is not standard in Live. Seems to me most of the things I want M4L to do is exactly where I find it's limitations, or at least realize Live's or my own limitations.

On that note, I think Live could offer an all in one solution to Live itself with just a few implementations here and there. GEEZ so close yet so far i guess.
Hey Juan, now you have M4L, would you give it up?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:11 am

NO, not at all, I love M4L, however there has been an abundance of misinformation about it since it's release. Currently it's not working for me at all on my main production set. But no, I would hate to not have it, same with Reaktor. Those 2 plus Live and I could do without the rest.

see post http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=174178

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:08 am

^^ Looks pretty screwed up Juan 8O

I have been having a few issues with M4L in only a couple of projects where I am getting Apps crashes.
( never had any of those before )

Abes seem to think it is caused by other plugs etc, but i'm sceptical...............

When it is working, it ROCKS my world !!

Hope you find a fix man .

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:38 pm

What the hell! So Mu doesn't give you the ability to manipulate 3rd party plug-ins with their device window!?!?!?! And there's no overdub button...grrrrrrrrrr

Again, TouchAble comes out on top

That's a lot of money for...whatever
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Bugayev

Post by Bugayev » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:59 pm

djadonis206 wrote:What the hell! So Mu doesn't give you the ability to manipulate 3rd party plug-ins with their device window!?!?!?! And there's no overdub button...grrrrrrrrrr

Again, TouchAble comes out on top

That's a lot of money for...whatever
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Actually, Mu gives you the possibility to create a custom layout for ANY Device, whether it's a native Live Audio or MIDI Effect or any 3rd party VST effect or Instrument. This way every plug-in can have it's own specific layout. There's a nice series of videos on http://max4live.info/ on how to do this in addition to instructions in the Mu manual itself.

As for the Overdub button, that could easily be added in the Transport section or wherever you'd like it. Again, the point of Mu is that it's an open community controller, the code is open for all to see and change as they see fit.

Hope this helps, let me know.

Best regards,
Nick