An alternate way to live looping?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fhill2

An alternate way to live looping?

Post by fhill2 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:31 pm

Hello.
Wondering if anyone here could help me out on a little trouble i'm having.

What i'm trying to do is set up a way to record a live audio signal to then be used for "on-the-fly" playback. The way i want it to be looped is like this:

The audio is recorded when the button/switch is pressed, when it is not silence fills the space. Then i hit another button for record end so i can specify how long the loop can be.

But i would also like for it to quantized. For example, if i press the record button/switch for a bar but i release the button too early everything up to beat 1 of the next bar is contained in my recording.

I know how to midi map just not what to map.

Could anyone share some ideas or knowledge about how this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

Freddie

JuanSOLO

Re: An alternate way to live looping?

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:20 am

Session View is built around this concept. By using Ableton's Quantize settings all you really have to do is hit one of the little squares in the clips while the track is armed to record, then press it again to turn it off. You could use Return Tracks or a dedicated Audio In track to route audio too the loop recording track.

Also your needs seem simple enough, that you could use Live's 'Looper' as well.

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:25 am

On the bottom left of the looper plugin there's a "quantization" menu. Select the quantization you'd like.

Note: The global play button needs to be on for quantization to work. This is what i think you're problem was.

fhill2

Post by fhill2 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:08 am

JuanSOLO wrote:Session View is built around this concept. By using Ableton's Quantize settings all you really have to do is hit one of the little squares in the clips while the track is armed to record, then press it again to turn it off. You could use Return Tracks or a dedicated Audio In track to route audio too the loop recording track.

Also your needs seem simple enough, that you could use Live's 'Looper' as well.
I am using Ableton's quantize settings and have tried setting it up by hitting the squares. I can only get it to 'make new clip' and then 'end clip and playback' but i can't control the audio in it when it's recording, i.e if i record 2 bars i can't adjust the beat 4 to be silent and there other's not <-- that's what i'm having a hard time quantizing, not the "make new clip". Hope this makes sense :lol:

WFWS

Post by WFWS » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:50 am

Juan's on it. The session view clip recording is the way to do it. Normally, you'd set up the quantization to say 2 bars, and arm the track. When you want to record into a clip in that track, you click the dot on that clip, and you'll start recording on the start of the next measure. Sometime during that next two measures you click again, and it knows to stop recording at the end of the second measure. So you don't have to time the punch out exactly- it will automagically trim it to end on beat at the end of two measures. To make Live work this way be sure that the Default launch mode is set to 'trigger' in the Record/Warp/Launch tab in Preferences.

People use Looper, and its cool too, but having clips means you can do things that you can't do with Looper. Looper's big advantage I think is that it can read your tempo, and set subsequent clip recordings to that tempo. You really only need it for the first clip. After that, switch over to recording into clipslots.

Hope this helps.
Live 8 Suite, i7 2600K 8gb, 500gb 7200 HD, Firepod, Keystation 88, TrapKat, FCB1010
"Deliberate practice creates expertise"

fhill2

Post by fhill2 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:32 am

WFWS wrote:Juan's on it. The session view clip recording is the way to do it. Normally, you'd set up the quantization to say 2 bars, and arm the track. When you want to record into a clip in that track, you click the dot on that clip, and you'll start recording on the start of the next measure. Sometime during that next two measures you click again, and it knows to stop recording at the end of the second measure. So you don't have to time the punch out exactly- it will automagically trim it to end on beat at the end of two measures. To make Live work this way be sure that the Default launch mode is set to 'trigger' in the Record/Warp/Launch tab in Preferences.

People use Looper, and its cool too, but having clips means you can do things that you can't do with Looper. Looper's big advantage I think is that it can read your tempo, and set subsequent clip recordings to that tempo. You really only need it for the first clip. After that, switch over to recording into clipslots.

Hope this helps.
Thankyou for the advice WFWS.
Yes i've been doing it this way and it's working great. The only thing is i can't find a way of, via midi, deleting the clips that i've recorded and don't want to use anymore. Does anyone know a way to do that?
I've tried Midi to keystroke and it works perfectly but you have to have Ableton as the focus for the key command to execute and delete the clip. In my live setup i'll be using Traktor and will always have that as the foreground so this method won't work.

If there is no other method for deleting clips in the session view, do you know of any other way i can approach this that's not doing with looper?

bartend7

Post by bartend7 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:48 am

look into clyphx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyFNRjn7KI

this may help you out.