Do you use a launchpad? Open!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hau5beat

Do you use a launchpad? Open!

Post by Hau5beat » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Hey everyone. Merry Christmas! Finally saves enough to buy some hardware for production and have had my eye on the LP for a while now.

Do you have one? What and how do you use it? Mind sharing your first experience ?

Also, who uses ableton and/or another program? Whats better about other ones? I'm self learning live, should I?

Komodovaran

Re: Do you use a launchpad? Open!

Post by Komodovaran » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:16 pm

I sold it to buy an iPad.

And now I sold my iPad to buy an iPad 2.

It's the never ending chain!

Hau5beat

Post by Hau5beat » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:39 pm

But they're only 120 online lol

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:49 pm

Good enough fun but for me the variability of the button action rules it out as a serious tool.

Hau5beat

Post by Hau5beat » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:05 pm

Thank you for your reply

Let me ask you, what do you recommend? I see a bunch of tools from 40-200 on amazon. How about launchpad with a nanokontrol, and or whatever else you think?

Think of it as a way to spend the 200$ Xmas money haha

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:57 pm

Komodovaran wrote:I sold it to buy an iPad.

And now I sold my iPad to buy an iPad 2.

It's the never ending chain!
+(((((((((+1)))))))) it never ends!!!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:57 pm

I am perhaps one of the launchpad/nanokontrol combo's most ardent supporters, so know that I go into this with an almost messianic bias towards this setup. I also have an M-audio Trigger Finger, and Axiom though, because velocity sensitivity is something you're going to also want. A Launchpad, on it's own is going to be limiting, the mixer mode is more trouble than it's worth, as you have to jump over to another page to slide a fader, and only within 8 stepped values. This is why the Nanokontrol is useful to the setup. If you get a first generation nanokontrol, and use either the free Myr script (http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=5510) or the for pay NativeKontrol (http://www.nativekontrol.com/nanoLive_II.html) you can add a lot of functionality to the nanokontrol, expanding the number of tracks it can control, allowing for track/device/bank selection, etc... Likewise, you can get the NativeKontrol script for the Launchpad (http://www.nativekontrol.com/LPC-Live.html) which is awesome, doesn't take any functionality away from any user mode, it hides in a sub-menu of user1 (hit the user1 mode button twice) and gives access to track volume/pan/send, has a little drum sequencer, a mode for playing in scales (40 different types available, should you want to play an 8-tone spanish, or byzantine scale for some reason), a chord learn function, monophonic step sequencer, and so on.
Here's the big thing to think about though. are you looking for a mixer/scene launch capability, or something to play parts in? If you just want to scene launch, and have control over the mixer, this is a great setup, but even with the note entry modes I talk about above, you will have to take into account that you will have no control over velocity with this setup, to play expressive parts, you will have to go back in and manually edit velocities to get any sort of dynamic feel. In other words, it's not going to be very easily useful for drum or note entry. So, if you're looking for something to launch clips, or experiment with playing in parts that you plan to work the velocities out on later in the piano roll or on another velocity sensitive instrument, go for it. If you want something primarily for playing in parts with any sense of realism, look for a budget keyboard/drumpad controller.

*Edit* just realized I already made this promotion in your other thread.

Hau5beat

Post by Hau5beat » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Thank you so much for your reply, and yes I ask often for thoughts and opinions cause this is a big buy and step
For me.

I actually thought about the exact LP/Kontrol setup you mentioned and I think I'm going with it!! I want to play around with sounds on the computer, make them my own, and then use the two of them to make the tracks and even play live. I also found a nice 49 key midi for 40$!

Really pumped, when I get home I'll reply more thank you!

matthews

Post by matthews » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:02 pm

I've had a launchpad going on two years now. Truth be told, its amazing. at launching clips.

Because the clip matrix, mixer and user areas are all on different pages, its unpractical for it to be used for multiple purposes. Unless your using custom remote scripts. That being said, its main purpose is as a clip/scene launcher, and it does that perfectly.

pc999

Post by pc999 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:07 am

I have one, it is really easy to use, lots of fun and gave freshness to my music and experiences that I couldnt belive.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:54 am

matthews wrote:Unless your using custom remote scripts.
Which you totally should do!

it's good for lots of things, provided, as said before, you have remote scriptings set up. I've got no idea how to set up my own, but as I said before, the nativekontrol lpc script is awesome, I'll usually use the modes to, say, work out a little melody, or program a bunch of related chords into the chord memorizer, and then just mess around with progressions. also pretty decent for bashing out a little drum part, then adjusting the velocities, or recreating it on my velocity enabled pad controller. I find I use it more and more this way, though that may be because my keyboard and pad controller are on a stand off to the side of my desk, whereas I've got my launchpad and nanokontrol (also a KP3) in between my computer and my (computer) keyboard, so it's a bit more convenient when I'm just messing around (which I tend to do a lot) I use user1 mode a fair amount as well for auditioning patches and such. Mostly it's the stepped values and clunkiness of the mixer mode that turns me off from it, but that's where the nanokontrol steps in. To the OP, unless you want to work it out yourself, you might want to think about getting a first generation nanokontrol though, as I think most of the remote scripting I've seen around are designed for that one, and it may be cheaper as well, even if the gen 2 is a little nicer looking.
Last edited by antarktika on Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hau5beat

Post by Hau5beat » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:59 am

antarktika wrote:
matthews wrote:Unless your using custom remote scripts.
Which you totally should do!

it's good for lots of things, provided, as said before, you have remote scriptings set up. I'll usually use the launchpad with the NativeKontrol modes to, say, work out a little melody, or program a bunch of related chords into the chord memorizer, and then just mess around with progressions. also pretty decent for bashing out a little drum part, then adjusting the velocities, or recreating it on my velocity enabled pad controller. I use user1 mode a fair amount as well for auditioning patches and such. Mostly it's the stepped values and clunkiness of the mixer mode that turns me off from it, but that's where the nanokontrol steps in. To the OP, unless you want to work it out yourself, you might want to think about getting a first generation nanokontrol though, as I think most of the remote scripting I've seen around are designed for that one, and it may be cheaper as well, even if the gen 2 is a little nicer looking.
you are saying the nanokontrol 1 has more dev and community support and even scripts, that the nanokontrol2 can't completely use?

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:06 am

I know the script I use for it, and the nativekontrol one, are exclusive to gen 1 controllers, and I haven't seen much in the way of scripts for gen 2 controls, at least not ones as comprehensive as the ones I see for first gens. Something to do with the scene modes maybe? or maybe just because it's been around a bit longer? Don't really know! You could always make your own remote script for either model of course, but that can get a little complicated if you don't know what you're doing, I sure don't, hence the pre-made scripts I posted, which are not usable by the second generation nanos.

Macrostructure

Post by Macrostructure » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:03 am

Hau5beat wrote:Thank you for your reply

Let me ask you, what do you recommend? I see a bunch of tools from 40-200 on amazon. How about launchpad with a nanokontrol, and or whatever else you think?

Think of it as a way to spend the 200$ Xmas money haha
I recommend a good comfy mouse and a $40 akai mini keyboard. Focus on the sounds not the gear. Easier said than done in this age.

COOLOUT

Post by COOLOUT » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:34 am

I own a bunch of different midi controllers: a launchpad, padkontrol, nanokontrol, and BCF2000 just to name a few.

It is my honest opinion that the Launchpad + LPC is the most effective music production combo for Ableton Live. I can't recommend it enough. I think it compares favorably to any hardware/software combination in terms of flexibility, and functionality. It really gives sequencing in Ableton that integrated front-end comparable to something like Maschine or an MPC.

Actually I think that's where the name comes from: LP + MPC = LPC

One really cool thing about LPC is that it works well with other controllers. Just like you would use a real MPC with a keyboard to sequence, you can use LPC with an additional controller if you wanted velocity sensitive pads or piano keys. With that said, I've found that LPC's 16-level mode works fine for creating dynamic hi-hat patterns.

The only slight downsides are:
1. You may still prefer an additional controller's knobs/faders for useful things like mixing and playing with FX.
2. LPC has a lot of functionality...almost too much. Some of the buttons have 3-5 different uses. You'll have to sit there with manual open until you memorize the modes and even then you may need to pop it open to remind you how to do a random function.

I don't want to give you the wrong idea. The button layout is very logical and designed to used without labels (and in the dark). After using it for a week I can tell what mode it's in from across the room.

I made this overlay anyways to remind me plus reference some of the rarer functions without the manual. It covers all the basic global functions plus track, clip, drum, and scale modes.