What 8x8 MIDI interface to buy?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
crt

What 8x8 MIDI interface to buy?

Post by crt » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:14 am

Hey, all. I think my MIDISPORT 8x8 has shat the bed.

SO I"m in the market for another 8x8. Got any rec's?

Price ain't too key. I just want ease of use.

Peace!
- / . c r t
---
www: http://www.crtdot.com
g3ar pron: PowerBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, LIVE 4, BCR 2000, PC1600X, Oxygen 8
MOTU 828mkii
your sister on my jock
---
+

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:03 am

Edirol UM-880 doing the business here, good functions and facilities ie also acts as midi patchbay if necessary.

blancodisco

I'm down with the Edirol UM-880 as well

Post by blancodisco » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:51 am

Picked up an Editrol UM-880 as well. Been happy with it. Works well with Ableton Live in OSX. Only thing I don't like.. but... it's more of a Core MIDI gripe that I have... I haven't found an obvious way to rename the Individual Port names if i wanted to... to be more instrument/manufactuer specific.

For instance... say i have an E-MU 6400 Sampler patched into Midi Port 1 and a Waldorf Microwave and Pulse Plus on Port 2.... I'd love to rename those inputs on the Edriol icon in the audio/midi utility supplied by OSX and say Port 1 = E-MU, Port 2= Waldorf... etc...

All because.. when i see my Midi Inputs/Outputs in Ableton Live, I could select the instrument of choice (kinda like how good ol' OMS on OS9 handeled things) a bit more easily without having to do a conversion in my head and remember what instrument i have plugged into what numbered port.... of couse, i made a graphic backup of my phsyical midi setup on the side of my rack for reference.... It'd just be nice to see this sort of flexiblity on the Ports. Perhaps... i could dig in and find a file and change the values...

anyone have the same issues as this?
not major.. but.... be nice convience to change if possible.
not scared to open up a resource editor or... a text editor
if anyone knows.

thanks.
benny blanco®
benny blanco®
blancodisco
http://blancodisco.com

15" MacBookPro 8 GB RAM | MacPro 9 GB RAM | Phonic Firefly Universal | Axiom 25 | APC-40 | Edirol UM-880 | Loads of Hardware & Software Synths and Effects

crt

Re: I'm down with the Edirol UM-880 as well

Post by crt » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:58 am

YO, BENNY! I thought you moved to NYC? huh. I'm Jon Burkhardt's friend from your GameFX days. Remember? Prolly not? Also c-fom and the Boston not London used to be my bag. Now it's all yoga.

Good to know you're using the Edirol with Mac stuff. Keep up the good werk.

CRT
blancodisco wrote:Picked up an Editrol UM-880 as well. Been happy with it. Works well with Ableton Live in OSX. Only thing I don't like.. but... it's more of a Core MIDI gripe that I have... I haven't found an obvious way to rename the Individual Port names if i wanted to... to be more instrument/manufactuer specific.

For instance... say i have an E-MU 6400 Sampler patched into Midi Port 1 and a Waldorf Microwave and Pulse Plus on Port 2.... I'd love to rename those inputs on the Edriol icon in the audio/midi utility supplied by OSX and say Port 1 = E-MU, Port 2= Waldorf... etc...

All because.. when i see my Midi Inputs/Outputs in Ableton Live, I could select the instrument of choice (kinda like how good ol' OMS on OS9 handeled things) a bit more easily without having to do a conversion in my head and remember what instrument i have plugged into what numbered port.... of couse, i made a graphic backup of my phsyical midi setup on the side of my rack for reference.... It'd just be nice to see this sort of flexiblity on the Ports. Perhaps... i could dig in and find a file and change the values...

anyone have the same issues as this?
not major.. but.... be nice convience to change if possible.
not scared to open up a resource editor or... a text editor
if anyone knows.

thanks.
benny blanco®
- / . c r t
---
MOTU 828mkii
your sister on my jock
---
+

blancodisco

Of Course I remember the Cathode Ray Tube!

Post by blancodisco » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:05 am

hey chuck..

ya.. i'm kicking it here in nyc now. Still have some hardware, but.. i'll tell ya... i'm really feeling the convienance of software recall these days....
But.. it's still nice to get some fresh audio from some sequenced hardware every now and then.

Ableton being able to do MIDI has been the best thing for me. I've totally ditched Opcode's old and tired,but true, Studio Vison Pro.

Hope Boston is still treatin' ya well.
bb®
benny blanco®
blancodisco
http://blancodisco.com

15" MacBookPro 8 GB RAM | MacPro 9 GB RAM | Phonic Firefly Universal | Axiom 25 | APC-40 | Edirol UM-880 | Loads of Hardware & Software Synths and Effects

crt

Re: Of Course I remember the Cathode Ray Tube!

Post by crt » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Ya, I'd heard about the move. How's it trating you?

I myself have very little hardware these days, too. It got too hard to keep up the older stuff. Though I scored an EA-1 for $40 and an HR16B for $20 as well. How could I go wrong?

STUDIO VISION PRO??? SON, GET WITH IT!!! EVEN I DITCHED THAT DINO SHIT FOR LOGIC!!!

But yeah, now that the Able-babies got MIDI up in here, I am not moving elsewhere... just gotta get me one of them edirol's.

PEACE!!!
blancodisco wrote:hey chuck..

ya.. i'm kicking it here in nyc now. Still have some hardware, but.. i'll tell ya... i'm really feeling the convienance of software recall these days....
But.. it's still nice to get some fresh audio from some sequenced hardware every now and then.

Ableton being able to do MIDI has been the best thing for me. I've totally ditched Opcode's old and tired,but true, Studio Vison Pro.

Hope Boston is still treatin' ya well.
bb®
- / . c r t
---
MOTU 828mkii
your sister on my jock
---
+

monarkeys

Post by monarkeys » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:47 pm

I finally got around to hooking up my laptop to my MOTU 896 and runnign Live - worked flawlessly - and I've always loved the feature set on that box - XLR io, meters for everything on the front panel, mic pres on all 8 ins, attenuator knobs for every input, mic/line switches on every in and out, phantom power on all ins, individually switchable.
It's perfect for me.

Ooops - you said MIDI - I use the MOTU MIDI Xpress - it works good too. :oops: