Novation SL Mkii - useless knobs? Python script?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deHaan

Novation SL Mkii - useless knobs? Python script?

Post by deHaan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi there

I just bought a Novation SL Mkii. When using the template for Live, only the upper 8 endless enocoders control the selected device (blue hand). But the lower 8 fixed knobs has no function at all (unless you map them).

So I was wondering if there's any python script or something out there, making these knobs more usefull, e.g. by mapping them to the 8 next parameters of the selected device...? In fact it would fit me the best if all the knobs and faders could control the selected device :) just dreaming

Best regards
Nikolaj
Last edited by deHaan on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my band Silent People's new single here:
http://silentpeople.dk

moonpie

Re: Novation SL Mkii - useless knobs?

Post by moonpie » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Yeah - I can understand the slight frustration. Well - the best option for you would be to map each of the 2nd row of unassigned buttons to a specific rack or effect. That way the top encoders can cover multiple effects and functions and you just flick between them with the "blue hand". Then just keep your bottom row assignable. The REAL buttons that literally dont do anything (In an ableton template) are the three buttons to the right of the transport when transport is engaged.. No one thought tempo map would be useful... :(

deHaan

Post by deHaan » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Just by "normal" MIDI-mapping? So I have to map the unassigned knobs every time I make a new Live set?

matthews

Post by matthews » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:44 am

Yup, a little annoying for sure.

Truth be told, I hate the endless encoders. The LED feedback is great, but the fact that you can't change the rotation speed is a complete turn off. I wish I could just have the regular knobs mapped automatically instead.

deHaan

Post by deHaan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:19 pm

That sucks :(

It could be pretty nice if someone wrote a Python Script like for the Nocturn so we would be able to use all the knobs on the Remote SL MkII. E.g. by making the LED-encoders control the first 8 parameters of a device, the 8 knobs controlling the next 8 parameters and perhaps the 8 faders controlling the 8 next parameters again. Of course with feedback on the LED-screen.

That would make it an awesome controller for me :D

Anyone?

antarktika

Re: Novation SL Mkii - useless knobs? Python script?

Post by antarktika » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:25 pm

*never mind* realized you wanted led feedback, thus invalidating my solution.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:00 pm

what would be nice, is if there was a native python script that acted a lot more like automap, letting me work inside live without automap and still assign all the knobs and sliders where i want them, even for live's built-in devices, and using all the available knobs/sliders if i want (perhaps with a button switching the right-hand side between 'mixer' and 'vst' mode). And if I ever get enough free time to start looking into it, i'll write one. wouldn't hold my breath though :)

i get the impression the new novation controllers (the impulse) have actually done something like this? but don't have one... they are cheaper, but in many ways a step backwards from the sl mk2s...

Eloheim

Post by Eloheim » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:51 am

Yea I'd like these ideas to be implemented too.

deHaan

Post by deHaan » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:50 am

theophilus wrote:what would be nice, is if there was a native python script that acted a lot more like automap, letting me work inside live without automap and still assign all the knobs and sliders where i want them, even for live's built-in devices, and using all the available knobs/sliders if i want (perhaps with a button switching the right-hand side between 'mixer' and 'vst' mode). And if I ever get enough free time to start looking into it, i'll write one. wouldn't hold my breath though :)

i get the impression the new novation controllers (the impulse) have actually done something like this? but don't have one... they are cheaper, but in many ways a step backwards from the sl mk2s...
What are you waiting for, get started! :D

Goddard

Post by Goddard » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Automap Pro 3.7.4 is the answer... Forget Automap 4.
I don't know if it's the same download since they removed "Pro" and made it freeware.
Automap Pro wasn't for free, but still works excellent, mapping almost all parameters in Live, Logic, Reason and NI Komplete instruments by itself. It's also possible to easy map different parameters to the touch pad (it wasn't possible in ordinary, free version of Automap...).
Automap 4 is just a joke in comparison...
Greetings
"Machines are the weapon employed by the capitalists to quell the revolt of specialized labor" Karl Marx

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:23 pm

oh, this had been my dream controller for a year or so...hmmm

deHaan

Post by deHaan » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Goddard wrote:Automap Pro 3.7.4 is the answer... Forget Automap 4.
I don't know if it's the same download since they removed "Pro" and made it freeware.
Automap Pro wasn't for free, but still works excellent, mapping almost all parameters in Live, Logic, Reason and NI Komplete instruments by itself. It's also possible to easy map different parameters to the touch pad (it wasn't possible in ordinary, free version of Automap...).
Automap 4 is just a joke in comparison...
Greetings
So would Automap Pro 3.7.4 map all the knobs of the SL MkII to a device in Live?

matthews

Post by matthews » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:56 pm

^^^
You'd still have to manually map every single parameter yourself.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:06 pm

you can't use automap for live internal devices, only VSTs (it works with the exposed VST automation parameters).
the built-in template works with live devices, but only for the 8 encoders, and you can't change the ordering.

barstu

Post by barstu » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:10 pm

I also own an SL remote 2 and have used this brilliant script.

http://www.deeflash.com/custom-ableton- ... tescripts/

I'm sure it would make a great starting point for you to extend it to cover the lower 8 nobs.