New Akai MPC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Re: New Akai MPC

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:22 am

Reminds me a lot of when Technics came out with their CD turntable after already having lost the market share soundly to Pioneer. It was huge, and looked more like a vinyl turntable, and they thought that the old-school look and feel along with their name would be all that was needed to win people back. It wasn't, it failed miserably.

I'm hardly the biggest NI fan, and I didn't really click with Maschine and sold it after a few weeks as well. But NI already have a huge 2 year jump start in this type of thing, not to mention a long history of designing effects and sample libraries. Add to that the ability to host 3d party plug ins now, and I really don't see anything that the new Akai brings to the table based on what we know so far.

I think if they HAD made it standalone that could also be used with the computer if you wanted, then at least it would have something to differentiate it more from Maschine.

Right now it's just a Samsung Galaxy tablet trying to catch up to the iPad2. 2 of you here will know what that means. ;)

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:41 am

levimoniz wrote:
Ryanmf wrote:"Hey! This one looks the most like that thing you used to like! You should buy this one!" Whenever marketing decisions trump product design decisions for the purposes of reeling in idiots who don't know how to make an informed purchase, my bullshit senses start tingling.
I think this is exactly what NI did with Maschine.

I've watched many Maschine videos on YouTube, and while I always came away thinking it was a cool little toy, I couldn't imagine why anyone but those who have no experience in music production would ever feel they needed to own one.

Also, I own an LPD8 and an LPK25 and have no issues at all. The LPD8 has backlit pads so this will not be their first time in that arena.

Levi
I should note that I came to Maschine from a background of pad controllers and Live (I'd borrowed a Trigger Finger when I was just getting started, then owned an MPD32 for a while before I sold it and bought a Maschine). My experience will certainly be different than that of someone who's been using MPCs for years. I've used MPCs here and there (both before and after buying Maschine) but have never owned one. For me, Maschine was an upgrade in that it was a much more "beat creation" centered experience than anything I'd used to that point. With the experience I have now, I can do many of the things I use Maschine for in Live, and vice versa. But for me at the time, Maschine made it easier to just sit down and play without all the trappings of a full DAW competing for my attention.

I didn't realize that the LPD8 pads were backlit, and I'm glad your Akai controllers are going strong. I really shouldn't be comparing the quality of super-affordable add-on controllers to a flagship device like the MPC Renaissance anyway.
DPMachine wrote:
Ryanmf wrote: Initially I was smitten, after several months of ownership I still like but don't love Maschine.
What do you not like about it? Is it the CPU/32-bit Live related issues you mentioned?
That's part of it. A significant component of that problem is that I have a shitty computer, so CPU issues affect me more than they might affect other folks with newer machines (that is, computers, small m machines, not big M Maschine). And it's really Ableton's problem. Maschine runs much better as a plug-in in a 64bit host like Reaper, both on my computer and on other folks', from what I've read. There are also just missing features that I wish were there, or things I wish NI had implemented differently.

You can sort of set up FX busses, but you have to sacrifice one or more of your groups, which can be frustrating. I don't really understand why they didn't just implement send and return tracks.

The fact that after a few years of feature requests NI still hasn't added timestretching to Maschine is baffling to me. There's a chorus of folks on the NI forum who chime in with "Just use Kontakt" every time it comes up, as if anyone who wants to timestretch samples with their MPC replacement should have to buy another $400 piece of software and use it in a way it wasn't really designed to be used. Especially coming from the dead simple warping in Live, it was a disappointment. (And yes, I knew Maschine didn't do timestretching when I bought it. Still disappointing.)

I live in LA, went to Low End Theory for the first time in 2008, and promptly fell in love with beat music. After a childhood+teenage life spent playing traditional instruments, those shows were what really started me down the path of producing my own electronic music, though I've loved hip hop and EDM since I was a kid and had fucked around in various DAWs previously. From the perspective of that style, the fact that Maschine doesn't record solos and mutes is really irritating.

Mapping external controllers to the Maschine software is basically fucking impossible. I'm fairly certain that it was an intentional move on NI's part to prevent people from using the pad controllers they already owned and pirating the Maschine software. If you run a search on this forum, the NI forum, or just on Google for a TouchOSC Maschine control interface I made called Touchmasch, you'll find much more of my bitching on that topic.

I love the Maschine controller as a MIDI controller for Live. There's a great Mackie control-based mapping called Ablechine a user posted on the NI forum that works way better than the pre-installed Live mapping. With the dual screens and the Mackie control script working in the background to automatically relay the names of clips, tracks, FX parameters, and so on it's really pleasant to use. However, running Maschine as a VST in Live is an entirely different experience, from a control standpoint. Live's the host, so all of Maschine's transport and tempo controls go dead. Now you're constantly shift+buttoning back and forth on the Maschine controller from "Maschine mode" to "MIDI mode" to get access to the transport buttons on the controller. I understand why transport is locked to the host, I don't understand why NI didn't allow those buttons to be MIDI mappable when it's running as a plug-in. As a consequence, I almost exclusively work with Maschine in standalone mode, export clips to live, fill up drum racks with the samples I was already using in Maschine, and use the Maschine controller as a MIDI controller for live once I'm through with the things Maschine is good at and I'm ready to start arranging. It works, but it's not ideal, and it's a big part of why I've been waiting for something to replace the Maschine with for most of the time I've owned it.

I've got a preorder in for a QuNeo, and I expected that Akai would do something like this eventually (they had to, really). I'm still not sure that anything short of a proper MPC bests Maschine at this point. It's sort of a let down, because Maschine is good, but there's a lot that could be improved upon. Unfortunately, NI's last software update for Maschine was 100% about getting people to buy Komplete 8. Now I'm not convinced that Akai are going to be the ones to do it, either. I think the silver lining is that we all may be better off if a startup comes in and moves to disrupt the bigger players who are all very much set in their ways.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:18 am

condra wrote:FWIW I like the direction AKAI are going with the SynthStation iPad thing. Over the next few years, iPads and Android Tablets are going to get more and more capable of becomming studio stalwarts. That shit is much more exciting to me than anything involving a laptop.
I've mentioned this elsewhere, but THIS THIS THIS. The iDevice dock in the Synthstation would be a better display than the flip up LCD display, a better navigation input device than numpad+arrow keys+data knob, and could introduce a wide variety of other control interfaces for effects, sample editing, and so on. Such a missed opportunity. And there's no practical benefit of using numpad+arrow keys+data knob (you can't tell me it works better—it doesn't), it's just a marketing ploy designed to appeal to people who are dead set on buying something that looks like an MPC, even if it isn't (and this thing isn't).
Tarekith wrote:I'm hardly the biggest NI fan, and I didn't really click with Maschine and sold it after a few weeks as well. But NI already have a huge 2 year jump start in this type of thing, not to mention a long history of designing effects and sample libraries. Add to that the ability to host 3d party plug ins now, and I really don't see anything that the new Akai brings to the table based on what we know so far.
The audio interface is a nice addition, unless it sucks, or drives the price up higher than the market will bear.
Tarekith wrote:I think if they HAD made it standalone that could also be used with the computer if you wanted, then at least it would have something to differentiate it more from Maschine.
Imagine if they'd gone with the iDevice dock in the Renaissance. That would be sufficient to give it a standalone mode. You could use it with whatever app Akai are cooking up, or with Beatmaker2 or whatever else you like. Except now your iDevice is connected to a proper audio interface. With MPC pads! And a fucking ton of LED-ring encoders/knobs! And since there are USB/MIDI ports on the back, why not plug in a keyboard as well? And the sad part is, Akai already has the fucking parts. They literally have a bunch of little iPod/iPhone dock connector mounts that they've licensed, developed, tested and produced sitting in a warehouse somewhere in China. They've already paid for the damn things. It could have been the new workstation, drawing a line from their expertise from the last 25 years to the developments sure to come in the next 25 (Hey, iPhone 4s owners: did you notice that the thing in your pocket is a more sophisticated computer than every computer you've ever owned prior to your current one? Think that trend will be slowing down at all?). Instead, unless I'm seriously missing something here, this very well may be their last hurrah.
Tarekith wrote:Right now it's just a Samsung Galaxy tablet trying to catch up to the iPad2. 2 of you here will know what that means. ;)
I'd say Akai's more like Sony. They used to own this entire product space. Times begun to change, as they always do. They stuck with it and kept trying to compete, all the while becoming more and more irrelevant. New competitors continued to chip away at their market, and they started to panic, throwing together more and more bizarre combinations of old-favorite features and alleged technological improvements as they forget what gave them their competitive advantage to begin with.

(Minor history lesson, I suspect Erik knows all this but some of you might not: Sony made their bones when they invented the portable transistor radio. Initially, it was widely regarded as a stupid idea. The sound quality and reception were significantly worse than in the huge radios that people kept in their living rooms at the time. The product line that followed were some of the most successful consumer electronics devices ever produced. The fact that they were cheap and portable meant that younger people could not only afford them, but take them out of the living room, away from their parents. Some suggest that rock and roll never would have happened if not for the Sony portable radio. Several million Walkmen later, Sony was the driving force behind the adoption of the CD. Phillips was heavily invested as well—which, among other things, resulted in their hilariously awful interactive pre-DVD CD video game platform CD-i—as were other consumer electronics firms, but it was mostly Sony. Hence, the Diskman, SACD, a wide variety of home stereo CD players, and so on. They built partnerships with entertainment companies, had leverage over every supplier, manufacturing plant, and distribution channel on earth. By the time music started to go digital, they'd already spent years producing computers and digital storage media as well. They were, once again, pioneers in the switch to digital photography. They were perfectly positioned to once again revolutionize how people listened to music. I defy you to name a single Sony digital audio player that anyone gave a shit about, ever. Minidisk doesn't count, and even if it did, it wouldn't be a good answer.)

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 am

the thing about those technics turntables was that when they first came out the firmware was fudged and they had a very real digital distortion and sounded terrible, that is why they failed, actually technics has fixed that issue and they sound pretty good, they don't feel as good as the numark cdx-1 but never the less it's too late, the diehard technics cats gave it a shot when it wasn't even working correctly and it failed, but as far as cd decks go they are some of the best out there and a great deal if you find them used. Now they are fixed but the turntablist have moved on.

i believe the maschine vs akai mpc thing is a different story all together. akai can't really take a page out of maschine because it's the mpcs book in the first place, allot of people don't know to this day that before this mpc ;midi controller idea came into being, the old, dated, obsolete regular mpcs
are already ahead of maschine. people just call it mpc fanboyism but if you take out the vst compatibility any mpc with the exception of the mpc-500
is already ahead of maschines capabilities. maschine can't record mutes, all of the mpcs can, maschine can't even record patterns of different tempos, all of the mpcs even the 500 can, maschine doesn't even have a proper songmode which is why most people who write songs as opposed to 4 or 8 bar loops tend to use maschine in combination with live or another daw, but the mpc has a great sequencer and songmode.
when maschine came out it didn't even have proper swing and quantize features, they added these things later, and of course you can use any mpc without a computer, you can also put a harddrive inside an mpc I had a 120gig in mine.

i don't know why folks dismiss the mpc other than they're mostly not informed about what they are really capable of or they don't like the connotations to hiphop but at any rate people swear they are old tech and that maschine is the future and maschine hasn't even caught up yet. and I have a maschine and a maschine mikro, love them both, but I also have an mpc and know that maschine cannot replace it yet. So I don't believe that akai has to catch up to native instruments, if you look at the feature list on this new akai controller and look at the maschine forums feature request list you will see that it's almost identical, maschine doesn't even have time stretch, the mpcs do have time stretch, and this new akai mpc also has time stretch, it has everything that is still on maschines want list. the only way for this thing to fail is for it to not work properly of course there's always a chance of that with anything though.

allot of people think that people still use mpcs just because they are trying to be cool or something, this couldn't be further from the truth. I think it stems from people not giving much credit to hiphop artist, the fact is that these 25 year old mpcs can do things that your futuristic beat boxes still cannot do, things that are still on the feature request list on native instruments forum. hmmmmmmm face facts.

Ryanmf

Post by Ryanmf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:35 am

starving student wrote:the thing about those technics turntables was that when they first came out the firmware was fudged and they had a very real digital distortion and sounded terrible, that is why they failed, actually technics has fixed that issue and they sound pretty good, they don't feel as good as the numark cdx-1 but never the less it's too late, the diehard technics cats gave it a shot when it wasn't even working correctly and it failed, but as far as cd decks go they are some of the best out there and a great deal if you find them used. Now they are fixed but the turntablist have moved on.

i believe the maschine vs akai mpc thing is a different story all together. akai can't really take a page out of maschine because it's the mpcs book in the first place, allot of people don't know to this day that before this mpc ;midi controller idea came into being, the old, dated, obsolete regular mpcs
are already ahead of maschine. people just call it mpc fanboyism but if you take out the vst compatibility any mpc with the exception of the mpc-500
is already ahead of maschines capabilities. maschine can't record mutes, all of the mpcs can, maschine can't even record patterns of different tempos, all of the mpcs even the 500 can, maschine doesn't even have a proper songmode which is why most people who write songs as opposed to 4 or 8 bar loops tend to use maschine in combination with live or another daw, but the mpc has a great sequencer and songmode.
when maschine came out it didn't even have proper swing and quantize features, they added these things later, and of course you can use any mpc without a computer, you can also put a harddrive inside an mpc I had a 120gig in mine.

i don't know why folks dismiss the mpc other than they're mostly not informed about what they are really capable of or they don't like the connotations to hiphop but at any rate people swear they are old tech and that maschine is the future and maschine hasn't even caught up yet. and I have a maschine and a maschine mikro, love them both, but I also have an mpc and know that maschine cannot replace it yet. So I don't believe that akai has to catch up to native instruments, if you look at the feature list on this new akai controller and look at the maschine forums feature request list you will see that it's almost identical, maschine doesn't even have time stretch, the mpcs do have time stretch, and this new akai mpc also has time stretch, it has everything that is still on maschines want list. the only way for this thing to fail is for it to not work properly of course there's always a chance of that with anything though.

allot of people think that people still use mpcs just because they are trying to be cool or something, this couldn't be further from the truth. I think it stems from people not giving much credit to hiphop artist, the fact is that these 25 year old mpcs can do things that your futuristic beat boxes still cannot do, things that are still on the feature request list on native instruments forum. hmmmmmmm face facts.
To be fair, some of it is MPC fanboyism. Dilla's beats didn't swing because his MPC had the right settings—his hands had the right settings. The MPC deserves its reputation and then some, but at this point I think that legacy is more of a hinderance than anything. Just like there are people out there who buy a Maschine or will buy this new MPC because it's the hot new thing, but they don't really know what the fuck they're doing and as a consequence their opinion isn't worth much, there are people who buy the most expensive MPC they can find, also don't know what the fuck they're doing, and they don't have much to add to the discussion either. The problem isn't that MPCs aren't good (they are), or that Maschine is better (it really isn't). The problem is that Akai is awful. It's been universally recognized for years that if you're serious about using your MPC to the fullest, you must install JJOS. It's great that JJOS exists, but Akai doesn't seem to give one fraction of a fuck about the fact that no one wants to use their bundled OS. That's a problem. Most of the good MPCs have been discontinued. That's a problem. The "current" (released 3 years ago) "flagship" (hah) MPC5000 is terrible. Don't take it from me, Just Blaze had more than enough to say on the topic. That's a problem.

I absolutely understand why someone would use an MPC 60/3000/2000(XL)/2500/1000/4000 today. There are very good reasons to do so, they're great instruments. They're all also at least 5 years old, which isn't necessarily a big deal for an instrument, but an MPC isn't just an instrument. Whenever this conversation comes up, there's a general sentiment in the MPC camp that sounds something like "I don't want to have to use a computer." What this fails to address is that the MPC is a computer—and a really bad one at that. There are good reasons to want to use a modern computer back end with an MPC-like controller as the interface. You know this because you use a Machine—you really don't have to touch the computer very much, but because the computer is there, the whole experience is much, much faster than working with an MPC. I suppose it would be possible for Akai or someone else to build a standalone pad instrument in 2012 with the horsepower to draw people away from the computer, but that's really hard. The company with the resources to do it—Akai—clearly isn't moving in that direction. They're going to let your computer be the computer, and their hardware controller(s) will handle everything else (or at least that's the plan).

Don't get me wrong, things like no timestretch, no recording of solos/mutes, shitty/barely-existent song mode and other limitations of Maschine drive me fucking crazy. But I'm fully in support of things like Maschine and—even though I've spent most of this thread badmouthing it—the MPC Renaissance because I do think these companies and their users all benefit when products are introduced that move things forward rather than accepting what's already available. To that point, there's no reason why Maschine or the MPC Renaissance or some other yet-to-be-announced competitor from an unknown company couldn't record solos or mutes, or timestretch samples, or have a sophisticated song/arrangement mode. There's no technical limitation that prevents them from doing everything an MPC does, and then some, or implementing only those legacy features that are most important, plus a grip of new ones that never existed until now. There are technical limitations that will always prevent an MPC from hosting plugins, from easily sampling digital audio, from quickly loading gigabytes worth of samples, from hooking into Max/MSP to sync sounds and visuals in interesting ways. Those old devices aren't going to change.

In short, pound for pound I don't think there's anything on the market that's objectively "better" than an MPC. That doesn't mean that there shouldn't be, and the evidence that we have at our disposal today seems to indicate that if someone's making it, it's not Akai.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 am

I think that mpc users are more aware of the mpc being a computer than most give credit for, the thing to remember is that any serious musician and most of my peers are, needs stability, immediacy to capture ideas quickly, and the basics to be tight. the mpc range has all of this, the mpcs sequencer is tighter than any daw you can currently use, also the latency is better. again I don't know why people just assume that users of mpcs don't think about these things but the mpc users I know do, whatever any of us have going on in our macbooks is not the business, the macbook I'm typing on right now is does not have as good timing as an old atari, .... you don't have any of these issues with the computer that is the mpc, it's rock solid timing, and latency that kicks rme, apogee, focusrite or anybodys ass. once again the present isn't the future we would like to make it out to be all of the time and the mpc is not nearly as much of the past as allot of folks think. while we immerse ourselves in just trying to get shit up and running while the neandrathal mpc heads are just taking the act of simply sitting down and making music for granted. we still have a long way to go before the experience of using something like maschine is as simple an affair as using an mpc.

and sure akai support sucks but who doesn't have a terrible customer service experience story about native instruments, they are infamous for their terrible customer support albeit they've improved since mid battery days but c'mon their support history is nothing to brag about.

starving student

Post by starving student » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:05 am

levimoniz wrote:
Ryanmf wrote:The "current" (released 3 years ago) "flagship" (hah) MPC5000 is terrible. Don't take it from me, Just Blaze had more than enough to say on the topic. That's a problem.
Every issue Just Blaze had with the MPC 5000 was addressed by Akai in the next os.
this is true, but people don't seem to know it, there is definitely fanboyism for every product but the mpc range has much more than fanboyism going for it,

there are features in every single mpc that people who haven't even used mpcs have been begging for from native instruments that are not there.
like the arp in the mpc-5000, who is behind who?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:51 am

Komodovaran wrote:
JuanSOLO wrote:The new Livid CNTRL:R looks SO MUCH BETTER!
http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_cntrlr.php
I just drool'd.
it looks great, but those "one finger push" fader heads are imo like playing the guitar with a rubber. We need X-fade type heads, like the APC, MPC, or Pioneer and other pro DJ mixers.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:34 pm

Leaked photo of the MPC Studio:
http://picupload.org/images/hWnzK.jpg

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:53 pm

SO GOOD, and applies to so much of the shit coming out, specially for DJ's

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:21 pm

2be wrote:Software looks pretty ugly
Better than windows 3.1 UI of Ableton.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:28 am

levimoniz wrote:
Ryanmf wrote:The "current" (released 3 years ago) "flagship" (hah) MPC5000 is terrible. Don't take it from me, Just Blaze had more than enough to say on the topic. That's a problem.
Every issue Just Blaze had with the MPC 5000 was addressed by Akai in the next os.
And that's where their development stopped. Just Blaze isn't the only MPC 5000 user. There are plenty of other users who found and confirmed bugs in O.S. 2.0 that were never ever addressed by Akai. If you have the time, here is an 11 page thread all about it:

http://mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=110625
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:52 am

kb420 wrote:
levimoniz wrote:
And that's where their development stopped. Just Blaze isn't the only MPC 5000 user. There are plenty of other users who found and confirmed bugs in O.S. 2.0 that were never ever addressed by Akai. If you have the time, here is an 11 page thread all about it:

http://mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=110625
this is true as well, but there's more than 11 pages of gripes with maschine, maschine users over at the maschine forum act like they're in denial of their own reality since akais announcement.

Slightlydelic

Post by Slightlydelic » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 am

i just googled akai mpc

and this was the top result

http://www.production-room.com/akai/aka ... fAodYjFlgg

just short of £2000 :lol: :lol: :lol:

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:40 am

8O

That HAS to be a missprint