Not Enough time, considering options

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evanb

Not Enough time, considering options

Post by evanb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 am

Due to lack of time it's been hard getting back into producing. I want the musical outlet and considered just mixing at home to get my fill but also considering production using premade loops.

I only have my software and iPad running touchOSC so thinking I may be able to get my fill with loops.

Anyone else go this route? I don't plan to play live its more for my personal enjoyment

Tone Deft

Re: Not Enough time, considering options

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:44 am

IMO it's way too common for forumites, myself included, to take themselves waaaaaay too seriously thinking that they have to make the next hit song and all their work has to be amazing and radio ready. there's absolutely nothing wrong with just fcuking around with Live just for the sake of fcuking around with Live. music is fun and good for you. sometimes I'll work on a set all day knowing that it's complete crap just for the sake of pushing through a lull in my creativity. it's also good practice in song writing, write something, ANYTHING.

you never know what you'll end up with, if the end result sounds cool who cares? if you have fun, who's to judge? nobody is watching over you.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

501dubz

Post by 501dubz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:06 am

you know what... time constraints can help you focus if you know your basic avenues of creation.

practice takes time but execution is more a matter of right timing.

thats coming from someone juggling between a semi-career, family, sleep and music.

Stace30

Post by Stace30 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm

IMO it's way too common for forumites, myself included, to take themselves waaaaaay too seriously thinking that they have to make the next hit song and all their work has to be amazing and radio ready. there's absolutely nothing wrong with just fcuking around with Live just for the sake of fcuking around with Live. music is fun and good for you. sometimes I'll work on a set all day knowing that it's complete crap just for the sake of pushing through a lull in my creativity. it's also good practice in song writing, write something, ANYTHING.

you never know what you'll end up with, if the end result sounds cool who cares? if you have fun, who's to judge? nobody is watching over you.
Well said Tone Deft! (typed :D )
Live 10 Suite, M4L, MPC TOUCH - MPC software v2.7, Reason 4, Komplete 11, i7 Laptop, 12g Ram, Win 10, Adam A7's & Genelec 8010's - Joined Forum in 2006.

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Tone Deft wrote:IMO it's way too common for forumites, myself included, to take themselves waaaaaay too seriously thinking that they have to make the next hit song and all their work has to be amazing and radio ready. there's absolutely nothing wrong with just fcuking around with Live just for the sake of fcuking around with Live. music is fun and good for you. sometimes I'll work on a set all day knowing that it's complete crap just for the sake of pushing through a lull in my creativity. it's also good practice in song writing, write something, ANYTHING.

......this is one part of producing....should be fun too! Tone is right! Have Fun! 8)
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:49 pm

if you are into tweaking live but don't have enough time to write your own stuff, then there is a gazillion of remix-contests out there. Everyone and their sister publish stems of their recordings for you to remix at home. Can be loads of fun. And you might even win something.

evanb

Post by evanb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:47 pm

thx guys

Always been hesitant for some reason to use loops but after messing around with them they are fun to jam out and make some quick tunes..its allot of fun

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:57 pm

evanb wrote:thx guys

Always been hesitant for some reason to use loops but after messing around with them they are fun to jam out and make some quick tunes..its allot of fun
That part of the point in using loops.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:16 pm

slice found loops to midi = funner than fun