All times are UTC

Post subject: guitar lag / latency problems
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:32 pm 

i'm running a guitar straight into a $100 AVID recording studio and from that device straight to my computer's USB port. i have a pretty decent PC (MAC running Leopard). When i strum a chord on my guitar there's almost a second between when i strum that chord and when i actually hear it in my headphones. This is really not good, especially when i'm trying to play along with pre-recorded tracks. is there any setting in Ableton that i can adjust to fix this, or is it more of a Hardware issue with my computer or that cheap USB interface i bought?

Post subject: Re: guitar lag / latency problems
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:51 pm 

Have you tried going to ableton preferences>audio>latency> my buffer size is at about 300 samples and the drive error compensation is at -1130. If you notice when you change to those settings (if you even have to) the latency numbers between those settings will say exactly how many milliseconds of latency you have between devices. mine say 6.8 and 9.8 and I can barely tell that there is any latency at all. If you mess with those settings and it still has latency its probably down to how long your usb chord is. or worst, your external device.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:13 pm 

length of the USB cord has nothing to do with it. it takes 1 nanosecond for electricity to travel 6 inches.

Live tries to tell you what the in/out latency is but due to the nature of the drivers it's IMPOSSIBLE for Live to report it correctly. there are free apps out there to check your REAL latency. Live's is probably pretty close. the best way to tell is by ear or do a loopback recording out of Live and back in.

it's your cheap interface and probably your machine. when I went from a dual core to a 6 core machine with the same interface my latency went WAAAAY down.

direct monitor through your sound card, not Live and/or up your sample rate.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:14 am 

preferences>audio>latency>

yep, adjusting those settings did the trick. thanks alot!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:46 am 

Tone Deft wrote:
length of the USB cord has nothing to do with it. it takes 1 nanosecond for electricity to travel 6 inches.

Live tries to tell you what the in/out latency is but due to the nature of the drivers it's IMPOSSIBLE for Live to report it correctly. there are free apps out there to check your REAL latency. Live's is probably pretty close. the best way to tell is by ear or do a loopback recording out of Live and back in.

it's your cheap interface and probably your machine. when I went from a dual core to a 6 core machine with the same interface my latency went WAAAAY down.

direct monitor through your sound card, not Live and/or up your sample rate.

Learn something new everyday. ;]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:17 pm 

i had the same issue and lowering the quality will work. I ended up switching my sound card to an M audio PCI card. have all my quality and no latency!

https://soundcloud.com/modernmaestros

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:52 pm 

ArchDeacon wrote:
Have you tried going to ableton preferences>audio>latency> my buffer size is at about 300 samples and the drive error compensation is at -1130. If you notice when you change to those settings (if you even have to) the latency numbers between those settings will say exactly how many milliseconds of latency you have between devices. mine say 6.8 and 9.8 and I can barely tell that there is any latency at all. If you mess with those settings and it still has latency its probably down to how long your usb chord is. or worst, your external device.

You should mess around with the audio driver compensation if you dont know what your doing.
Theres bult in lessons in ableton on how to acheive good latency and set driver error compensation.
Go trough them