Help: collab with someone who's not using Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DRStudio

Help: collab with someone who's not using Live

Post by DRStudio » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:33 pm

Happy 2012 everyone!

I own Live 8 and want to import projects recorded in other DAWs (PT, Logic, Sonar etc). In my mind, the easiest way would be to ask the person to export each track as a separate wav/aif file and send them to me. But i see one big issue with this method: i wouldn't know where to place each wav/aif file in the timeline in Live (since the exact position wouldn't be embedded in the files).

Of course i don't plan to buy another DAW just to get some collabs going (nor ask the other person to buy Live), but anyway, is there any way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

ArchDeacon

Re: Help: collab with someone who's not using Live

Post by ArchDeacon » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:46 pm

In live, if you go to export track and look at your top option "rendered track" it says mastered. You can change that to ALL TRACKS or each individual one. When I export each one I also notice that if I have a loop in arrangement view and the LOOP button is yellow. It will render each track from start to finish of that loop. So you won't have the issue redoing the arrangement. However you probably already knew all that since your the one using live. I'm just saying maybe its possible their DAW has a similar way of rendering audio to wav files with that fancy loop feature.
www.soundcloud.com/ladecae
Mac Pro 10.5.6, Focusrite Saffire Pro40, Pioneer s-DJ08 active reference monitors, Rode NT-2000 condenser.