ableton sound engine and new monolake album

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mihai

Re: ableton sound engine and new monolake album

Post by mihai » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:41 pm

@robert: ewww, it was produced in ableton live? that's why it doesn't sound pro. actually kind of muddy. clearly.

moving on.

monolake

Post by monolake » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:02 pm

cacti wrote:Here's a thought. Perhaps he didn't mix the album, but rather someone else who is more comfortable using pro tools.
eh...? i have no idea how old you are but, i started editing stuff in PT in the early 1990s... ... the reason why i am not using PT when making music is very simple: Live does all i need. If i were to record 30 tracks of background vocals and orchestra i would certainly use a different DAW, but not for 'sound' but for PTs locators, grouping etc... ... and then I would have Live rewired to it and bounce stuff back and force all the time because i actually *like* what i can do with my sounds in Live, things I cannot do in other DAWs.

for me the only reason why someone else should mix my album album is because this person would listen to things with different and fresh ears and not because I am too stupid for it. I studied sound engineering for film for gods sake!!!!!

and, one last thing: if the Icon were used to mix the album, why on earth would it be rolled out of the way on the window and not being located in the correct listening position between the big main monitors? ??? ? ?? ?

the console was rolled out of the way because it would cause reflections of the sound from the monitors and color the sound. this is why for mastering there is only the little table with -most important for the sound quality: the coffee mug ( analogically heated with a discrete coffee maker, not the one that comes with Live ) !

Last edited by monolake on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Robert, don't loose time with kids instead if they are yours !
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Voidloss

Post by Voidloss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:12 pm

Really dumb thread.

Making uninformed comments just shows up your ignorance.

If you can`t recognise a mastering setup (and what it is used for) then really you shouldn't be making uninformed comments about the quality of the 2buss in Live. All you do is further the passage of useless conjecture.

Dumb thread is dumb.

DIgiDennis

Post by DIgiDennis » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Congrats on the album Robert. the preview sounds really great.

arafel

Post by arafel » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:30 pm

Wait... did Robert say there is a Coffee maker in Live?

*Quote "the coffee mug ( analogically heated with a discrete coffee maker, not the one that comes with Live )"

Holy Frakk... where?
What is the key command for this Ableton Coffee?

My life would be complete if Live could make coffee too!
:D
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

Nilus

Post by Nilus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Sure wish I could get that vintage Live 4 sound again with all the new bells and whistles of Live 8... oh well. Sonic clarity is over rated. If you bought Live to track in I think you may have been mislead by a sales douche or missed the point. Good luck with your career as a professional recording engineer.
Make music or shut the fuck up!

I kid… I kid…

Not really!
http://www.nilusrothschild.com
Interests: Displacing Space

esky

Post by esky » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:41 pm

Really dumb thread.
I don't think so, because Robert delivered some interesting details about his production and the fotos are nice too.
That room looks great with its impressive speakers and absorbers...

monolake

Post by monolake » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:45 pm

arafel wrote:Wait... did Robert say there is a Coffee maker in Live?

*Quote "the coffee mug ( analogically heated with a discrete coffee maker, not the one that comes with Live )"

Holy Frakk... where?
What is the key command for this Ableton Coffee?

My life would be complete if Live could make coffee too!
:D

Of course there is a coffee maker in Live! Since version 5.0.2. There is even a tutorial somewhere on the Ableton website. People use the software for all kinds of things: for face cancellation tests, as alarm clocks, to torture their neighbors and partners... offering a coffee maker was a logical next step. But I cannot post more now, I need to go back faking music-making in Live whilst some under-payed real producers do my music with 2 inch tapes and a big LSD console in the basement...

r.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:28 pm

monolake wrote:People use the software for all kinds of things
And some use it as an surrogate on which to project their own self-disappointment at never becoming a child wizard / ninja jesus / digital beethoven / , and then hit the surrogate with a stick. This position was historically filled with by the housemaid or wife.

some examples of transference
"Live has bad sound quality " = I worry that my own music is meaningless and worthless
"An Authority figure asserts Live is bad" = I lack confidence in myself and my decisions and look frantically to others for validation
"why is Live not capable of doing X" = why can't I do X ?
"when will the new version arrive" = when will I arrive

...etc
simple internet psychology!
:twisted:

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 pm

i can't believe robert takes the time to answer....
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

cacti

Post by cacti » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 pm

monolake wrote:
cacti wrote:Here's a thought. Perhaps he didn't mix the album, but rather someone else who is more comfortable using pro tools.
eh...? i have no idea how old you are but, i started editing stuff in PT in the early 1990s...

I guess I got misconstrued. i meant, perhaps if another person mixed the album, and their daw of choice for mixing is pro tools, rather they (whom ever is mixing it) is more comfortable using pro tools than a different daw. Was not meant to be a slight on your experience with pro tools. lol. Nothing but respect!

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:41 pm

monolake wrote:also, here is a photo that shows the scenario: All tracks of the album playing back as mixed down stereo fliles with each song in one track for possible overlaps between the tracks. and the mastering in protools with the stereo files. mastering took less than two days and was mainly making small adjustments to glue the tracks well together.

But yeah, if you think Live sounds like shit, feel free to spend more time and money for more gear !!! I will continue to make music with it in the meantime.

Robert

Nice Picture! Like! :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

monolake

Post by monolake » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:54 pm

cacti wrote:
monolake wrote:
eh...? i have no idea how old you are but, i started editing stuff in PT in the early 1990s...

I guess I got misconstrued. i meant, perhaps if another person mixed the album, and their daw of choice for mixing is pro tools, rather they (whom ever is mixing it) is more comfortable using pro tools than a different daw. Was not meant to be a slight on your experience with pro tools. lol. Nothing but respect!
ah, got it. I do not take anything here too personal anyway ;-)

robert

monolake

Post by monolake » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:56 pm

chapelier fou wrote:i can't believe robert takes the time to answer....
i am writing emails all day long today, this actually feels like the easier task

( ---> procrastination time again ) <<-- great album title... hm.... ?

robert