ableton sound engine and new monolake album

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Piplodocus

Re: ableton sound engine and new monolake album

Post by Piplodocus » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:08 pm

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Boom chakalaka !!!
hahahahahaha! :lol:

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:21 pm

the obvious question is if the new Monolake album was done using Live 8....or Live 9 :twisted:
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

nopattern

Post by nopattern » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:07 pm

wow, didn't realize this would be such a big deal...

notice i never stated a personal opinion about Live. I am also a fan of Monolake, "infinite snow" is one of my all-time favorite electronic tracks...

this actually brings me more to the point

I made the thread for one simple reason and anyone who frequents this board should have an idea of what i'm talking about... People post questions on this site about software on a daily basis, this ranges from people just starting out to people much more experienced wanting to get information about Live and other software. 90% of the responses to these questions are met with hostility from people who have a +20,000 post count and somewhere in the vein of "you're a fucking idiot for even considering using anything but ableton and if ableton doesn't work for you, then you suck." There is a general "abelton is all you ever need attitude." I have read most of the posts that robert has ever made on this site (you would be stupid not to) and while there is good information there, it's still very much in line with this "Live is all you need" mentality. So I found it discontenting to see the major artistic face of ableton using software that he told many people was completely unnecessary. the shots I saw looked like a multitrack mixdown as it showed multiple meters of various amplitudes on the icon console, if it wasn't in fact a mixdown then i apologize and my original posting was partially unfounded. Although if it was just album tracks stacked for mastering i don't see why you would be playing them simultaneously and at vastly different amplitudes unless just to snap a cool photo...

i didn't mean to cause trouble, i just felt a little let down. i also feel like people on this website should be nicer to each other and more open to talking about the tools we use.

But to put things in perspective, the sheer response to my post does say something in the way people perceive ableton. It's not like i created this mystique out there surrounding Live's sound quality, the software did that for itself and we've seen thousands of topics and opinions about it from total newbs to ricardo villalobos. sure these topics come up on other software but it's a 100:1 ratio for ableton and they've been around the least long of the competition.

so despite if my initial post is valid or not concerning the mixdown aspect, i think this topic carries some important weight and it seems like i created more of a wave in one topic than that 3phase guy did in thousands of posts. people obviously care about this and i think they deserve to know what's up with their tools. why not use ableton to master the album? my question is if ableton is all you need why on earth does anyone use anything else?

nopattern

Post by nopattern » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:22 pm

monolake wrote: A summary of this thread: an anonymous 'friend' of mine basically says I am lying because it is not possible in general that a good sounding album has been produced entirely in Live. I explain that his assumptions are wrong, and give evidence for that. And now we are back to: Live sounds shit. Awesome.
Robert
that's not at all what i said, i never said anything was impossible, nor did i say live sounds like shit. obviously people think your music sounds good so it's not even about possibility, it's reality at that point. if you read what i said, it looked as though you were doing a mix in protools. all i did was question why that is since i've read you telling people they don't need anything but Live for mixing a good production. that's all!! i didn't give my personal opinion about anything

maybe you don't understand the amount of influence you have on people as an iconic modern artist? i think people just want more clear answers and the hostility of this forum in general makes it hard to get objective information. so no wonder people will look to you for answers, why shouldn't they? unfortunately in music production great teachers are hard to come by so i apologize for looking to you. i meant no harm, i just thought this board would finally get some new information

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 am

Ha... I love these threads and how many people always jump in to defend / attack Ableton... Let the music speak for itself...

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:26 am

monolake wrote:]
Do you notice that you are ruining your reputation more and more with each post ?

You are not even being able to read, it seems:

1. my studio is a tiny room in my apartment. See also: http://www.monolake.de/technology/studio.html
2. i used to work on PT systems for various professional non monolake things in the past.
3. the pic are from the mastering studio, which is also a production house, however the monolake album was not produced there but in my little home 'studio'.

and yes, my idea of friendship is oldschool. and it works quite well in my private life. i can actually trust my friends.

and as far as your 'questions' are concerned, I and others did answer them at length in the past. hundreds of times.

robert
Monoloke has much nicer display than in the profools studio equipped shit small display.

Capitan Mission
Location: a llitle Brazilian beach, Buenos Aires or Patagonia Argentina

Post by Capitan Mission » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:48 am

nopattern wrote: I have read most of the posts that robert has ever made on this site (you would be stupid not to) and while there is good information there, it's still very much in line with this "Live is all you need" mentality. So I found it discontenting to see the major artistic face of ableton using software that he told many people was completely unnecessary.
If you are new to software, one veryyy common mistake or problem is the "over abundance". You read about 1000 plugins and 50 DAWs, all kind of info, stupid fanboy wars, etc., and you get very confused. So, that someone with more experience tells you that "Live is all you need" is the best that can happen to you. Live, logic, cubase, renoise, no matter.
If you really know what you're talking about, then, for example, you will know if you need a better compressor, eq, etc.
Live is a quality piece of software, a lot of pros use it, and you can definitely make a quality record with it. But that doesn't mean that some really pro with lots of equipment wouldn't prefer to use other tool for a specific task (mastering maybe), not because it cant be done in Live, just because a personal preference.
I'm not a pro, and I love live, but I like to twist samples in Renoise. Ableton sampler is great, and I can chop breaks easily with it, but i like the tracker way.
The funny thing is that Robert actually made all the album with Live!!! and it sounds fantastic.
Live! exploring sound space, taking inspiration from everithing. folk abstract pop classical

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:59 am

barryalva wrote:What DAW does Van Halen use?

for the rest of the thread:
http://www.abletontrainer.com/?p=316
http://www.abletontrainer.com/?p=308

aizo

Post by aizo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:15 am

I honestly don't know a lot about Henke but from what I gather is the guy is pretty fucking smart. Got skills dripping out of his pores. So it baffles me that someone who is a smart guy like him would be stupid enough to take pictures in front of a Pro Tools rig if he's afraid of being caught "lying."

I just don't buy it.

The fact that he came on here and thoroughly answered all questions and responded when most would just give up or get upset just ups his level of coolness 8) . Much respect mein...

Just because there are hundreds of posts talking about the quality of something doesn't mean it's really an issue. It's just one fanboy's opinion VS. another and most of it is shit. Find anything and there is always some stupid flame war.

Mac Vs PC
Console VS PC
DJ's VS musicians (that is if you thinka DJ is not a real musician)

it's fucking stupid. I've always said everything is Nike and Reeboks. There is no quality difference just which one you like better.
ImageImage

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:39 pm

what a stupid f@#$& thread..
seriously. what a pile of rubbish..
sorry that's not so nice..
but it's the truth..

I take my hat off to Robert..
calm and collected ...elegant as ever...actually taking time to respond to this BS accusations...
in a calm and collected manner.. posting pics etc..
nerves of steel Robert.. good for you!
I'd be friggin' pissed if I were publicly put on spot..saying I was lying/cheating (in different "nice" words..of course)

OP
don't try and sugar-coat it.. you've been PWNED !
only decent thing about this thread is that it's done some good publicity for 'monolake'..

.. do you seriously think ANY artist (Robert included) is obligated to tell you which tools he decides to use...?
and what if he has used ProTools for certain tasks ? does that say anything about Live ? (except it lacks certain features of other Softwares ?)
why are you suddenly getting side tracked with all that "you all need to be nicer" and "why can't we all just get along" ...

respect is earned.. not taken.. and it's not a "given"..

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:53 pm

3dot... wrote:what a stupid f@#$& thread..
seriously. what a pile of rubbish..
sorry that's not so nice..
but it's the truth..

I take my hat off to Robert..
calm and collected ...elegant as ever...actually taking time to respond to this BS accusations...
in a calm and collected manner.. posting pics etc..
nerves of steel Robert.. good for you!
I'd be friggin' pissed if I were publicly put on spot..saying I was lying/cheating (in different "nice" words..of course)

OP
don't try and sugar-coat it.. you've been PWNED !
only decent thing about this thread is that it's done some good publicity for 'monolake'..

.. do you seriously think ANY artist (Robert included) is obligated to tell you which tools he decides to use...?
and what if he has used ProTools for certain tasks ? does that say anything about Live ? (except it lacks certain features of other Softwares ?)
why are you suddenly getting side tracked with all that "you all need to be nicer" and "why can't we all just get along" ...

respect is earned.. not taken.. and it's not a "given"..
3dot - totally OT but I've been meaning to make a comment for some time. It seems to me you are a poet. All your posts are always beautifully framed in stanzas even when you are talking bollocks about computers n shite.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:09 pm

hehe...
in my early forum days.. someone told me to use the 'enter' key..
I've been on it ever since...look..

+1 for the bollocks...it's my trademark over here..
and I do my best to keep up the high (or low... depending on where you're looking from I guess)
standard...

beautifully framed bollocks.. I like that..

:twisted:

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:17 pm

3dot... wrote:...

me too! 8) Should be a genre of something...... :D

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:21 pm

yea sure...just remember where it all began.. :wink:

Nilus

Post by Nilus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:51 pm

3dot... wrote:hehe...
in my early forum days.. someone told me to use the 'enter' key..
I've been on it ever since...look..

+1 for the bollocks...it's my trademark over here..
and I do my best to keep up the high (or low... depending on where you're looking from I guess)
standard...

Definetly going into my album title list. :D
http://www.nilusrothschild.com
Interests: Displacing Space