Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Neon Breath
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:26 am

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by Neon Breath » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:22 am

So I'm supposed to be whooohooo super impressed by the Nuendo review and Ableton bash from a dude who does the mastering for a cheesy pop singer hahaha. Whatever. He could even have mastered Beethoven, I wouldn't wet my lace panties neither. That doesn't make other people or artists less ''successful' that's bullshit.

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:32 am

what? tl;dr

you are asserting that others "attach their sense of self to an external thing" when you are doing the same. how is your opinion any more valid because you choose to disassociate your self from Live users on the Ableton Live forum?

it's just different, but that high horse is always the same.

if an article gets posted tomorrow by one of the Ableton featured artists knocking Nuendo, Pro Tools, Logic or _______ <-{ insert random DAW here} will you change your stance? it certainly sounds that way. if Justin Beiber's producer knocked some DAW and then proceeded to hype up another DAW does that in fact make that DAW have superior sound?

don't answer. i don't really want to debate. i'm just amazed at the amount of you're wrong so there for i'm right and better than you type posting i've seen this week.

the real question is: do you like fishsticks?

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:53 am

I just thought of it more as an ad so I didn't really have any emotional investment in it.
It wouldn't be different if it was any one or thing else.
ImageImage

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:10 am

dude rancher wrote:i would rather listen to a noob remixing merzbow than listen to katy perry. kill the cheese whiz...
I see that's why you're still noob. :P
Image

pencilrocket
Posts: 1718
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:31 am

simmerdown wrote:she needs an expensive producer because she can't fucking sing, "particular dynamic range" my ass...watch some of her live footage, in a watermelon suit, offkey, utter crap
Don't be jealous of others' success. If singers had been famous by good producers' support that wouldn't be bad thing. That means producers will have wide range of roll in the music production. There are few people who won't be grateful to that.

The personal taste that singer should be good at singing or yada yada is another story.
Image

ollyb303
Posts: 2666
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:30 am

Few things:

I have plenty of actual releases, so hopefully I'm allowed to post in this thread (no science degree though).

I have kissed a girl (yup, I liked it).

I have to give some kudos to anyone who can make Katy Perry sound "good" - seen some festival performances and the lass really doesn't sing very well.

I would.

:x

Edit: if fish sticks are the same as fish fingers (I think they are), then yes, yes, yes!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

cygnal
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:26 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by cygnal » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:39 am

It's easy to blame the software when you can not afford good hardware...
HP 550 WIN XP SP3 TRANSIT USB

ilya.soloviev
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by ilya.soloviev » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:48 am

cygnal wrote:It's easy to blame the software when you can not afford good hardware...
Its easy to blame software when you don't have proper skills to create good sounding music....

simmerdown
Posts: 3761
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:36 pm
Location: Northwest Nowhere

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by simmerdown » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 pm

pencilrocket wrote: The personal taste that singer should be good at singing or yada yada is another story.
if ability to sing has become only a personal criteria as to whether singer is good or not, it truly is a sad state of affairs....oh wait, it truly is a sad state of affairs

trust me, theres no jealousy in my comments! this must Ass/umption Week on the Live forum


what happened to Lilly Allen?, now she had some good dubs

Jabbon
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:57 am
Contact:

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by Jabbon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:14 pm

to turn back to topic, this guy is a pro, and selling so much is not only a matter of hitting the right spots,it is also a matter of knowing how to do it and when.
But I am surprised that SoS does not go into specifics about converters and of course it is again the story of the WAVES plug-ins and all the UAD stuff. But again, does it really show a number? Does it show a sonogram of something? Does it actually prove anything? I don´t remember who now, but I remember a super successful Mchit done with FL some years ago (I remember the info about the use of FL the song, boh...? hahaha).

I passed several periods:
Analog, digital, RME vs MOTU, in the box, external gear, blablablabla and bla.
Not to sound arrogant, but I had the luck to work with PT from version 3, HD, TDM and then Le too, with the Capybara system (8 dsp chips box... beast) worked with DP and Logic (emagic / Apple) and I do not like Logic at all, its illogic...
I work with Max/MSP/Jitter (hence m4l) Ableton and quite a lot of external gear and we just changed converters at our studio, and I can tell you I heard a huge difference in quality from Ableton too.
So has very little to do with DAW in certain situations, and again if the mix bus is muddy, one can improve things a lot by some tweaking.
177 tracks? hahaha what a stress! But if you read carefully 177 tracks are not actually the 177 they are much less.
But if he knows what to do.
So again:
I went to Cuba and heard wonderful music with a broken guitar 2 strings attached and someone singing... :D


btw SoS made an article on me some years ago and they were really nice and correct.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan09/a ... s_0109.htm

bottom side
A=B B=C C=A

Neon Breath
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:26 am

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by Neon Breath » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:41 pm

All these 11 pages still don't make sense, it's pretty surreal. After 11 pages, we're still not able to H E A R one single exemple of those supposed crazy badly muddy differences some people are taking about. All we have is those lame ''I don't have time to do the tests and show it to you'' to actually prove their points with actual facts so eveybody can be able to hear for real and judge. Doesn't make sense, some of you guys would be very, very poor lawyers really hahaha with your ''Just believe me, I have very well trained ears, lot of experience with 10 DAW's and I have very expensive monitors, still I don't have any proof to show but hey, just believe me I'm good and sucessful!'' Gimmie a break :lol:
Last edited by Neon Breath on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Just read the MKULTRA files, man. It will all become clear. /passes doob
ImageImage

regretfullySaid
Posts: 8913
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by regretfullySaid » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Kind of interesting how this is conversation is moving between 2 threads.

and just because it's classic:
What a cock. Katy Perrys music is like having sand rubbed in your japseye. cockwash.
ImageImage

Komodovaran
Posts: 985
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by Komodovaran » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:29 pm

Neon Breath wrote:All these 11 pages still don't make sense, it's pretty surreal. After 11 pages, we're still not able to H E A R one single exemple of those supposed crazy badly muddy differences some people are taking about. All we have is those lame ''I don't have time to do the tests and show it to you'' to actually prove their points with actual facts so eveybody can be able to hear for real and judge. Doesn't make sense, some of you guys would be very, very poor lawyers really hahaha with your ''Just believe me, I have very well trained ears, lot of experience with 10 DAW's and I have very expensive monitors, still I don't have any proof to show but hey, just believe me I'm good and sucessful!'' Gimmie a break :lol:
But it's true. Really. I would show you right here, right now, if it wasn't because I was busy rewinding VHS tapes. :x

H20nly
Posts: 15838
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:15 pm
Location: The Wild West

Re: Katy Perry Mixer - "Ableton sounded terrible" (SoundonSound)

Post by H20nly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:58 pm

levimoniz wrote:
H20nly wrote:the real question is: do you like fishsticks?
If you really don't want a response you're in luck because I can't make enough sense out of what you're saying to properly respond. You mentioned something about a stance; you're either mistakenly or intentionally missing the point of my posts if you think I even have a stance.

The real question, actually, is do you wanna have one song to your name your whole life?
Can't or Won't?

you were so hell bent on defending Katy Perry's music :| that you dismissed everyone's opinion in this because YOU don't know their names or what work they have done; therefore, your familiarity or lack of familiarity with OUR work is what your basing assertions of inadequacy on. in other words; you think our points are less valid because you haven't heard of us. news flash: we sign in with monikers.

in answer to your "real question": no i don't want to have one song... which is why it's fortunate that i have more. still, i won't let that cloud my judgement as it pertains to the potential of others to have a valid opinion. from the top down we're all just users... digital audio software users.

don't kid yourself. landing a phat job in music is just as much about who you know/meet as it is about what you do. ask Katy and/or Sandy.

Post Reply