Stupid Question For ya

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:14 pm

adonis, here's how I use Phatmatik... Phenomenal plugin! Thought you'd dig this:

I Load up a loop in Phatmaitk - Set up the slices the way I want them and set the loop lenght to the correct number of beats. I hold down the alt key and drag the sequence out to a slot using the button just to the right of sensitivity (I hope this isn't obvious, btw). Tweak it, duplicate it to a new slot, repeat it a bunch of times. Often I will do a series of completely new beats from the sample, to supplement the tweaked original slice-sequence. Add in some effects (upSawed filters for instance)

The I select all the clips on the track and drag them to the folder - Recycled, tweaked, effected and perfectly synced drum loops! Takes a few minutes to do a complex breakbeat this way... Love it to pieces! And I can load them in like two seconds... lovely.

Seriously they could take all my plugins away except for reaktor 5 and Phatmatik, im so into this one.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:51 pm

Word - Phatmatik does sound good.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:34 pm

Man, I just spent 1½ hours with James Brown and phatmatik... WOOOH! Thanks for keeping it fresh in my memory, A.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:14 pm

I'm really feeling the disposable disco loops in Phatmatik - took a minute to run up to the record store and get some more $.50 disco albums to slice and dice

let's see what I got

Pointer Sisters - Energy
The Fixx - Phantoms
Con funk shun - Touch
The Gap Band - 3
Peaches & Herb - Twice the fire
Brick - Waiting for you
Switch - ???
GC - 2

all for a little over $4

here's a tip (perhaps for the new comer)

Record your disco break / loop into Ableton - stretch it to your tempo. I lock the markers to the beat but that's just me

render to disco - import into Phatmatik set the Markers every 1/8 or 1/4 beat

So when you draw your midi notes in (the length should match how you cut the loop but whatever works) you can rearrange the disco loop to your hearts desire - that west coast funky hard house thing - throw a synced lfo (sawtooth up to get that ducking and sucking thing going on) over the top and compress the shit out of it - try it

ad

Set the
Ableton | Elektron

Music

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:31 am

May I suggest you have a look at the Telephone Tel Aviv video (the bit where he splits the audio clip and rearranges the slices in the arrange view).

I used recycle for 9 years, it went out (with Logic!) the week I tried the Live demo. This "offline" way of working (going into a seperate program, doing edits, then bringing it back into the sequencer) is not such a good way of working for me.

To my mind, pretty much everything you could do with Recycle you could do with split and consolidate: Rearrange, have gaps of silence, speed up slow down, regroove, and you can do it in the context of the music you're working on. It's true that Recycle places notes under every key of the sampler but if your into breaks madness I think all the different ways clips can be triggered from MIDI notes in Live is way more interesting.
:wink:

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:09 am

I'm sorry man, but live just can't touch Phatmatik... I've worked a lot with clip tweaking (SoundWrecks has 3000 of them for instance!) but the level of madness achieved by using Phatmatik as a vst plugin in Live is just plain sick. SICK! Sure, it can't do all the cool warp-marker stuff I love, like extreme push-pull, but it can do it at the midi level.

hmmm. I feel an urge to do a glitch-track now ;)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:56 pm

Okay, it didn't come out as a glitch track, it came out as an oldskool jungle track - really messy, but the drums... ooh...

oh, I should say that there are no BeatRepeats, supatriggas or anything going on here, it's all old-skool programming.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:08 pm

djsynchro wrote:May I suggest you have a look at the Telephone Tel Aviv video (the bit where he splits the audio clip and rearranges the slices in the arrange view).

I used recycle for 9 years, it went out (with Logic!) the week I tried the Live demo. This "offline" way of working (going into a seperate program, doing edits, then bringing it back into the sequencer) is not such a good way of working for me.

To my mind, pretty much everything you could do with Recycle you could do with split and consolidate: Rearrange, have gaps of silence, speed up slow down, regroove, and you can do it in the context of the music you're working on. It's true that Recycle places notes under every key of the sampler but if your into breaks madness I think all the different ways clips can be triggered from MIDI notes in Live is way more interesting.
:wink:

Word - I've been doing that myself since day one with the program - however my brain just can't seem to get over flipping back and forth between Arrange and Session view

I'm content with phatmatik - 2 instances. One for the low end and one for the high both controlled by one midi sequence. This is what I was going for

I'm happy - however if someone could figure this out for me...the registration keeps poping up when I open Live (grrrrr)

my only complaint is the LFO amount to VCF, pitch etc - a positive/negative 2 amount is extreme - but the filters are nice

FYI the funk loop that's cracking right now is off the Switch album

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music